Default A Week in Ocala, Florida

In a couple of weeks I'll be in the area. Not sure how much hiking time I'll get - maybe a couple of day hikes, maybe an overnighter - but the ONF website isn't much help.

If nothing else, I'll sneak away for a couple of short loops (Ross Prarie and Holly Hammocks) outside the west side of town.

I'm still wading through the archives and search results, but in the meantime, any recommendations from the locals? Thanks!

Journal Entries
    Images

Juniper Wilderness, you can pay to park your car at the Juniper Park. Hike out to Hidden Pond; it's like 8-9 north of the park. Check out myfloridahikes.com I think that's the site, you mite get more info there.
    I don't know

http://www.floridatrail.org/options/northflorida/

Maybe this will help. Check out Ocala North and Ocala South for info. Etoniah is a fun hike also.

Images

Juniper Wilderness is a great hike really pretty in there. You can park your car and primitive camp at Hopkins Prairie. The FT trailhead is just at the entrance to Hopkins. Then hike aprox 7 miles south to an area called Hidden Pond if you are wanting an overnight campsite many camp here. If you continue another 5 miles you will come to Juniper Springs Recreation area. If you have the capacity to leave a car at each end works well or you can round trip back to your car.

Directions & Location
    Hopkins Prairie Trailhead: From the intersection of SR 19 and SR 40 in the Ocala National Forest, head north along SR 19 for 9.2 miles, passing the entrances to Silver Glen Springs and the Yearling Trail as well as the sign for Pat’s Island. Make a sharp left onto a forest road where you see the Hopkins Prairie sign. Turn left and follow this dirt road for about 2 miles. Turn right at the next Hopkins Prairie sign and continue a half mile to the parking area; you’ll cross the trail en route.

Last time I hiked it I saw an eagle, sand hill cranes, scrub jays (endangered) and alligators around some of the ponds.

Hopkins Prairie Trailhead
    SR 19
    9.2 miles from SR 19 & SR 40
    Silver Springs, FL 34488 USA

http://floridatraveler.com/juniper-springs/

http://www.floridatrail.org/Hikes/no...da/OcalaS.html

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/southern/ocalcmp.htm (scroll down to Hopkins Prairie has all the campground information.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Thanks everyone!

aka Kudzu
    Images

Ah, Ocala. Here's from my last hike.

I have a few write-ups on my blog.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Not exactly sure when you're going to be hiking, but there is an organized hike/camp being put together at hammockforums.net. From January 21st thru the 24th, we'll be "hanging" out at the Buck Lake Campground. Mainly socializing, checking out each other's gear, day hikes, perhaps an overnight hike. So if you're in the area drop by, even if you're not a hammock hiker, we would like to say hello!

If you are going to hike in the Juniper Prairie Wilderness to Hidden Pond from FR 46, a good side trail is the Yearling Trail. The trail traverses through some historic features include the Long Cemetery and a sink hole. I hiked it last June and enjoyed it.

An annotated map can be found here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5199098.pdf

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Ah, Ocala. Here's from my last hike.

I have a few write-ups on my blog.

Dude!, post a more recent picture. It looks much better now, I was out there two weeks ago. Other than foolish hikers making fires anywhere, it is a nice place to chill. Do not camp at the first camp you pass through at hidden pond. I say this due to the fact everyone walks through it, so no privacy.
    I don't know

aka Kudzu
    Images

It's been a while. I admit it. I plan on going back this year. I've been focusing on the AT since my last Ocala hike.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

The forest is definately on the rebound. Most of the burnt/dead trees are still standing, however, the ground brush is back(can't kill those saw palmetto bushes!) along with the prairie grass. And several small(about 3 feet high)pine trees are growning like weeds. Also, lots of deer, opossum, armadillo and bear tracks are on the trail. And if you want to camp at Hidden Pond, camp just south of it in the grove of pines, unless you like being woken up at all hours of the night!

++ New Posts ++