WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered Troll
    Images

What about the spring that's listed 1.8 miles south of Vandeventer Shelter in the data book. It any good, and do you have to search around for it?

In 2002 I remember getting water south of Vanderventer at a spring on the right beside the trail. It was obvious and a good source. I had also got water there in 1998 so I'd consider it reliable. Heck of a lot easier to fill up there than go way off the ridge to get water.

I also didn't stay at Rice shelter because of the long hike to the water. I tented north of the shelter right near the spring. If I'm going to hike that far for water, it better be the direction that gets me toward the end of the trail.

In Massachusetts I do remember the hike down from Tom Leonard into the Ice Gulch for water. I almost ran out of daylight before I got back.

The water source south of Vanderveter Shelter is right on the trail, and is a bit more difficult than some I saw. Even with the heavy rains of the prior days, it was a fairly small spring that needed a bit of coaxing to cup out into my bottle. But it was a lot easier than going down a ravine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++