WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

Welcome to the ONEder club! Congrats! I look forward to joining you! Keep up the good work!
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Walker View Post
    Since i started this post, i suppose I should check in too. I stepped on the scales this morning and it registered 198, down from 212 back in December. I haven't starved myself, just tried to cut back on sugar, eat more fruits and veggies, and exercise. Oh i had the knee surgery two weeks ago I and have slowed with the exercise a bit. Would like to get to around 185 and with warmer weather coming, I believe I will make it.
    Congrats on getting under 200! How's the knee?
    Everything is easy until you do it.

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

Ashman: I see you're in Greensboro--I'm an alum of Kiser Jr. High and Grimsley Sr. High (didn't graduate there though, my family moved right before my senior yr.)

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Second Half View Post
    Congrats on getting under 200! How's the knee?
    Thanks.
    Doing so good I am tempted to go on a 10 mile backpacking weekend trip in a couple of weeks. But i won't, I will just walk down the road some and may do a easy day hike a few weeks from now. Don't want to reinjure it.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

Add these exercise in your resolution for the weight loss.
    Running is the best exercises because it helps you burn the calories.
    Just in 30 minutes a person can easily burn 300 calories.
    Walking, Sprinting and adding hills or an incline can burn 180 calories in 30 minutes.
    Bicycling and Swimming of 30 minutes can burn 400 to 500 calories.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Second Half View Post
    Current weight: 285
    I plan to start a 700 mile section hike in early May.
    I'd like to be under 250 at the start, I'd love to be under 240.

Good Luck w/ yer hike!

Maybe I'll see U out there...
    hiking DWG Nobo to Kent,CT
    May 28-June 12
    w/ "Piece O'Work"
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Images

Default Yeah...Atkins!

All that good German beer, junk food and my tending to pile on too much on my plate, produced a shocking scale weight of 205 on 1-1-11. To say that it was another attempt at a New Year"s resolution doomed to failure was not an option for me. I wanted to hike, and as my trail name suggests, I have bad knees. To reduce the pressure on those joints, I decided to go for a more sustainable and livable diet change. Being a meat lover, one word came to mind. "Atkins". No, or limited carbs to get the loss started and keep it going. I have lost the weight gradually and really crave my bad old food choices. I feel that I can now indulge in carbs on occasion without the guilt and not gain it back. The mind-set of portion control is a big part and just saying no to sugar, and starches is a real re-learning of how much and what to eat. I have always been active, and am really physical in my work. That wasn't the problem. I have always gotten my exercize.

I really miss the beer, pizza, pasta, chips bread etc. but realize that I consumed far too much of those. In moderation they are OK now. The key is moderation. I always ate veggies with my meals but now substitute the carbs part of the meal with an extra veggie. I count carbs now, not calories! Alcohol?...no beer, but I now have the occasional glass of red wine...Easier to take on the trail too!

I know the energy needed for the trail comes in the form of carbs and also am aware of the fact that with a higher metabolism on the trail I can, and will take plenty of those giving me the chance to re-enjoy them. Yeah, for adjusting diet according to need...not want. Looking forward to some letting go without weight gain.

Now the tale of the tape...

My knees are trashed from abuse over the years but they have responded to the pressure reduction somewhat and do feel a tad better. I don't feel that they will ever be like my younger years. However my blood pressure is down and belly disappearing. I have dropped 4" in waist size and it is a good thing that I saved all those jeans from the years of ballooning up the weight ladder. I am now wearing my 10-year old jeans again!

My loss was gradual and I feel sustainable. From 1-1-11 to present, in less than 5 months, I was 205 and I am now down to 173, a total of 32 pounds and well within reach of my target weight of 165. I do feel better! And, over-all, a little younger in body. I look better and have more stamina..Well worth it! I have removed myself from that obese list the average American is on. A real life change for me. I hope that this helps!
    "May Your Feet Be Light and Your Gait Be Long"... Hobbler

Excellent! Congrats, Hobbler! I'm still about 25 pounds from my goal, but it's still doable...thanks for the inspiration and advise!

Keep up the good work!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

I am back to 225 after being down to 185 this time last year. Sucks.

Kudos to those that have managed to get down and stay down.

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

Hmmm, I was hoping this thread would stay buried...LOL

My hiking, weight loss and professional life have all been stuck "on hold" for the past few months. I'm still at 270 and my plans for a 2-month hike have been sabotaged by a combination of injury (hurt my knee, happily it is now healed), family illness and a messy unresolved business-related legal situation.

I have been getting out for some day hikes on the AT as well as some local parks (Hickory Run has the best-named trail: "Shades of Death") and a rail-to-trail. But it's not nearly enough and I need to get out there more.

OK let's let this thread die again.
    Last edited by Second Half; 05-26-2011 at 17:59.

lol
    How about first one to lose 10 pounds gets to re-open it?

Hope things turn around for you though, and me also.
    OK now I'll lose 10 before I post in this thread again. :-)

Images

Default More benefit than just the weight loss

Another benefit realized, by me at least, with the change to the Atkins diet...For the past 10 years, I have been living with GERD requiring me to take a daily dose of Prilosec. I could rarely sleep without having acid creeping up my throat during the night and waking me. I now have many days usually 3-4 go by without even a thought of having to take one. With the portion control, less carbs and weight loss, I don't feel the need to medicate regimentally every day with Omeprazole. I still have GERD but much more under control now. My sleep is better and I can now enjoy my morning fresh ground coffee without the worry of acid throat. Atkins is a life-style change and requires a lot of work and attention. I found it really hard at first to give up the junk-food (sugars, starches etc...) but the new mind-set makes it so much easier to avoid the bad stuff now. Like I said on another post, on the trail, I can go a little wild allowing carbs back in my diet temporarily to get the energy that is needed to hike. Everything in balance. Wonderful.

Oh, by the way, I do all the cooking for my wife and myself and that gives me the ability to control all the ingredients. And, I make and take my lunch every day, never going out to a restaurant. Tip...Bread-less Romaine Lettuce Roll-ups, that's right, no bread, with meat and cheese inside. Low calorie, no carbs and satisfying...I like it now...Who'd a thunk it?...Like I said a mind-set and life-style change. It does work.
    "May Your Feet Be Light and Your Gait Be Long"... Hobbler

Well, I think I should make goals in losing my weight too. I am currently 200 pounds..

One thing I'm having difficulty with is I'm 290lbs but I've been told I look like I'm 190-210. I'm 6'2" I don't know what's up with me because I don't lift weights, but the last time I tried REALLY losing weight I was down to around 10% body fat at about 190lbs. At 220lbs I'm around 20% body fat and at 250lbs I'm around 27-30% body fat.

It's really difficult because you go to the doctor and your BMI says you're over weight but you have a six pack! It's also extremely annoying on the knees. My family doctor says I may just have really dense bones from my background in martial arts. I'm hoping the extreme calorie deficit from thru hiking the Appalachian trail will shrink my frame enough that with careful dieting I can finally get down to below 190!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++