WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

Default Weight loss resolution?

Myself and others on WB have said that we need to drop a few pounds to help with bad knees etc. One tip I heard today was to be specific with your resolutions, for example: Lose wieght, how much.
    So, I am 210lbs now and want to lose 15lbs by Mar 1st, realistic and specific. Add your weight loss goal and we can report back over the next couple of months.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

lose 10 lbs by Aug 1st.

my goal is food. lots and lots of food.and to not loose any more weight.

heres my advise for loosing weight.

we here in america eat too much. but more importantly we are inactive. in an effort to pass food thru and not let it sit in our gut, and short of doing exersize,...what can be done is to speed up the foods exit from us. eat apples and prunes and fiber till your gut is eliminating much faster and more thoroely. next, stop eating after dinner. going to sleep on a full stomach is our other problem. since dieting is fools play yet needed,...eliminate only one single food group instead of following a diet . simply stop with the fryed foods. they are death and were invented in the cold war to cause the enemy to be fat and slow on the trigger. lol.
    matthewski

Images

Basically what Matt said. Rather than going on a diet to lose x pounds, just eat healthier. A good rule of thumb is don't eat anything from the deli, and no canned goods. Of course keep up with the walks/hikes/exercise.
    Simple is good.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Watch sugar intake and white bread. Eat Whole wheat.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

On 8-1-09 I was more than 275 lbs

On 1-1-11 I was 185

I've got 10 more lbs to go to reach my goal and I WILL GET THERE before 8-1-11
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

click HERE to become rich!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydave View Post

On 1-1-11 I was 185

WOW Congratz!! Bet your knees are thanking you!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm resolute - right after breakfast of eggs Benadict

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    WOW Congratz!! Bet your knees are thanking you!
    And my back, cholesterol, liver (quit drinking as well), outlook on life..... etc. etc. IT'S ALL GOOD

I wish luck to all of you looking to keep your resolutions....... one day at a time........ you don't have to change the rest of your life, just change today and today will take care of tomorrow!
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

O man I have a resolution to lose 40 pounds which will get rid of my gut, I also need to lower my blood pressure. I got P90X as my workout program to lose weight, I've been doing it since Christmas and I can already tell I'm losing weight, but man it's killing me.

To reward myself I'll go fit myself into a new ULA Catalyst, and use it on a long section hike this summer. Hopefully I can get the pack as a birthday present in April once most of the weight is gone, and do the section hike in late June or July.

Images

On 1-1-11 I was 185

Jeez! That's like loosing a whole person. The overall effect has got to be amazing for you.
    Simple is good.

My Christmas present from ma Nature was a case of Gout. My doctor's out on vacation (good timing, doc).
    While I've been on the couch most of the past week my wife's been researching the disease and my diet has to be altered drastically to reduce uric acid (which causes crystals to form in the joints, usually, and in my case, the one between the foot and the big toe.
    No organ meats (don't like them, anyway).
    Hardly any red meat (I used to be a vegetarian, so I can handle this).
    Watch green, leafy vegetables (spinach, my favorite, especially).
    No alcohol (especially BEER - NOW it's personal)!
    More dairy (ok, I had JUST cut ice cream out of my diet to lose weight, but this was the most pleasant surprise).
    It seems most everything has purine (the chemical which causes gout) in some percentage, so I am learning what is bad to eat and what is not so bad. I am also drinking gallons of water, with the obvious result.
    So I think I'm being forced onto a diet, and I almost certainly will lose a good amount of weight.
    The Winter Warmer is going to be interesting..........
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

I've dropped 30 lb of body fat in 7 months, but more importantly, put on 9 lbs of muscle. I've done it by working out hard and intense, eating 5-6 small, sensible, well balanced meals a day (2 of which are whey protein isolate shakes), no alcohol, no soda and occasionally rewarding myself for a job well done. I've got 35 more pounds to go to hit my immediate weight loss goal, 50 to hit my long term goal. It'll happen by the end of this year.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

A year ago I weighed 213 lbs (6'0"). By mid June I was down to 193. But by the end of the year I was back up to 199. So my goal this year is to loose another 20 lbs like last year, but unlike last year, keep it off.

Bringer of Widespread Panic

Last spring I was 220 lb. I'm down to 186 now.

My goal is 165 by Memorial Day.

cut out all sodas. weigh each day. write down everything you eat. count calories.
    reduce your calorie intake by 500 from what you are eatting now. you will then loose weight. I have

Images

exercise every day and eat whatever you want. pretty simple.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

On 1-1-11 I was 185

That's really something. How did you do it?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot 2000 View Post
    That's really something. How did you do it?
    For me it meant changing everything.
    Starting with regular strenuous exercise.
    6 to 10 hours a week in the gym on average, lots of high intensity cardio.

Total diet change.

Gave up bread and most all other starches, except for a portion of brown rice with dinner every night, very rarely a dry baked potato, small quantities of pasta (that come in lean cuisine or smart ones that I eat every day for lunch)

For the first year I gave up ALL beef and pork, only eating fish and fowl for dinner. I'll now occasionally have a small portion of either once in a while.

Lots and Lots of salad, veggies, and fruits.

Snacks ONLY consist of nuts, sunflower seeds, raisins, prunes (you get the idea).... no goodies at all. (think protein and/or fiber when snacking)

Beverages are ONLY zero calorie. The only things I drink (consume) in liquid form that have calories is non fat milk...... one cup a day with my bran cereal for breakfast, and a splash in my artificially sweetened coffee.

I also gave up drinking any and all alcohol which was a big contributor to the weight gain since I was a regular beer drinker, that added over 500 calories a day on average.

I believe my system worked for me mainly because I finally admitted that I have an "addicts" personality, being unable to do things in moderation.
    For me it's all or nothing, so I used that to my advantage and went "all in" on my weight loss plan, deciding that for me, when it came to "cheating" it had to be "nothing".

I give myself little treats at this point now that I've gotten nearer my ultimate goal...... a piece of good bread on rare instance, had a few homemade cookies here and there over the Holidays, will celebrate a loved ones birthday with a small piece of cake, once every 4 or 5 weeks we might go out to a restaurant and I'll indulge a little.

For the most part though I'm surviving on rotisserie chicken, turkey, and fish. Still lots of veggies, fruit, and protein rich foods when snacking. No beer, soda, juices....... no ice cream, chips, candy......

Yup, my life pretty much sucks...... LOL

Not really, you have to sacrifice certain things to attain a higher goal.
    I feel so much better both health wise and mentally that I can't say I miss anything I've freely chosen to give up.

It's all good, anyone can do it if you want it bad enough.

Good Luck,
    Dave
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

Current weight: 285
    I plan to start a 700 mile section hike in early May.
    I'd like to be under 250 at the start, I'd love to be under 240.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++