WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hipneck

Default Southern App Wilderness Trails

Southern Appalachian Wilderness Stewards (SAWS) will have 2 crews out this summer working on trails in the 22 Federally Designated Wildernesses in the Southern Apps (NC/SC/TN/GA). We have a total of 10 weeks (2 crews X 5 weeks each) to tackle some trails needing some week-long love (tread work, serious brushing out, etc.). I am curious to hear what trails the White Blaze community might see needing some love. Obviously the AT gets a lot of attention, but what about some other faves that you think would benefit from a weeks worth of crew work?

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

was just in shining rock wilderness for a week. didnt see any trails that needed anything. in fact, someone had obviously been thru there this past summer. i would skip that wilderness area.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Last time I heard, the MST on Shortoff Mountain needed some attention. Outward Bound is supposed to cover that section, but I am not familiar with their trail maintenance schedule.

Hell Hollow trail at Clarks Creek backcountry needed a lot of cutting.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Hipneck View Post
    Southern Appalachian Wilderness Stewards (SAWS) will have 2 crews out this summer working on trails in the 22 Federally Designated Wildernesses in the Southern Apps (NC/SC/TN/GA). We have a total of 10 weeks (2 crews X 5 weeks each) to tackle some trails needing some week-long love (tread work, serious brushing out, etc.). I am curious to hear what trails the White Blaze community might see needing some love. Obviously the AT gets a lot of attention, but what about some other faves that you think would benefit from a weeks worth of crew work?
    So I take it that Federal wilderness areas in the National Forests of VA and WV are not in SAWS's purview?

Hipneck

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    So I take it that Federal wilderness areas in the National Forests of VA and WV are not in SAWS's purview?
    Not at this point, though we are interested in helping ramp that effort up!

Images

The Middle Spring Ridge trail which starts on Squibb Creek trail in the USFS Horse Creek area needs some brush work.I have over the past few years,on my own,cut most of the storm damage from the trail.This trail is in the Sampson Mtn Wildernes and is a great way to access the Rocky Fork area.It's the upper end which needs a lot of brush work.I can tell some work has been done on the lower end.PM or Email me and I'll try to help out if you get to it...

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

I don't believe it's a designated Wilderness Area but...

All the trails in the Snowbird Creek Basin area near Robbinsville NC need work. The treadways that follow streams have many blowdowns while paths that follow ridges or sidehill are washing away.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

++ New Posts ++