WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shaving On The Trail

Ok, this is going to get a few sneers, but I say bring them on. I can't do the Grizzly Adams thing. More than a 4 day growth drives me batty, and distracts me non stop. Blame 6 years in the service.

That being said, it seems like a normal razor would require both a mirror, and shaving cream or soap. For most hikes that doesn't present a problem, but I'm going light to an extreme on this one. Electrics are bulky and could break. Does anybody but me bother to shave while out on the trail? If so, what are your tricks? I know I'll usually be in town at least once a week, but...well this is just one of my quirks.

-Smalls

Images

From day 4 - 6 may be a bother with the growth, but after that the itchy feeling stops as the hairs get longer.

If you are going to shave, make sure you clean your face well before and after. Hygiene is important to keep from getting infected hairs, etc... This is one reason most just forgo shaving.

Alcohol pre-pads work great for after shave, and don't leave a scent that would attract bugs. Also helps with the hygiene after scraping your face.

I also like to shave every 4-7 days. This is what I do and I have no issues at all. If Iin town I will pick up a single disposable razor, these can normally be found at gas stations etc. I fill my snowpeak 700 with about a cup of water. I then use my Dr. bonners soap to lather up(dr.b works very good and is a multipurpose item). Then I shave and use my cup to rinse. Dr. B is biodegradeable which is nice.

If not using soap is your thing, then you can also pick up a little travel sized shaving cream, they are usually right next to the razors.

Remember not to shave in a water source, just because the soap is biodegradable doesn't mean it is good for the water.

Sometimes I will carry a razor on the trail with me, just depends on if I was able to buy a single or a 3 pack.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    Ok, this is going to get a few sneers, but I say bring them on. I can't do the Grizzly Adams thing. More than a 4 day growth drives me batty, and distracts me non stop. Blame 6 years in the service.

That being said, it seems like a normal razor would require both a mirror, and shaving cream or soap. For most hikes that doesn't present a problem, but I'm going light to an extreme on this one. Electrics are bulky and could break. Does anybody but me bother to shave while out on the trail? If so, what are your tricks? I know I'll usually be in town at least once a week, but...well this is just one of my quirks.

-Smalls
    My thoughts are this. I don't shave regularly at home. (meaning not every day or even every other day) But after 4 days it starts to itch so then it's time to get it off. I will shave earlier though if I'm going somewhere and don't wanta look burly.

On the trail I will carry my Gillette Mach 3 because I can use the same blade for months so that eliminates needing to carry blades.

I never hike without a compass (a Suunto), which has the mirror. Yes the mirror is small but it just has to do. I heat water, soak a bandanna to wet my face and warm the whiskers. I never thought of the alcohol swap before but it seems like a good idea.

Sometimes on long trips I throw in a decent razor and dry shave by feel with no need for a mirror or even wetting the face. Midway thru you can bang the razor on something like a rock and clean it of hairs. No need for wetting the face or using soap or cream, etc.

True you dont need soap or cream, and can make do dry shaving or just wetting the face. But since I carry Dr. B soap anyways for washing up, it just doubles as a great shaving cream/soap. It only take 2 or 3 drops and a little water. I also use the mirror on my compass if needed.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Garlic
    Images

You can make your own lather with a small scrap of bar soap. Just wet your face and rub the bar directly on your skin. Works fine. I carry one or two plastic disposables. I took from and added to hiker boxes on the AT often. I met one shaver who said the single-bladed disposables work better (no clogging between blades), but I tried it and didn't like them.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    You can make your own lather with a small scrap of bar soap. Just wet your face and rub the bar directly on your skin. Works fine. I carry one or two plastic disposables. I took from and added to hiker boxes on the AT often. I met one shaver who said the single-bladed disposables work better (no clogging between blades), but I tried it and didn't like them.
    I've tried those cheap disposable razors and it was like trying to shave with 40 grit sandpaper. It tore my face up.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Sometimes on long trips I throw in a decent razor and dry shave by feel with no need for a mirror or even wetting the face. Midway thru you can bang the razor on something like a rock and clean it of hairs. No need for wetting the face or using soap or cream, etc.
    You're definitely tougher than I am Tipi..I gotta wet my face..just gotta get it off before it freezes on there...

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    I've tried those cheap disposable razors and it was like trying to shave with 40 grit sandpaper. It tore my face up.
    Me to, i hate those things

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    I find that almost any razor that is brand new out of the package does a good job without cutting my face. I've brought a razor on hikes, but so far never used it. Of course my hikes have only been up to 4 days and in that time the discomfort of facial hair has not quite exceeded the discomfort/effort of shaving.

aka Kudzu
    Images

My daily razor is a 50s Gillette SuperSpeed double-edged. I love it. While I hadn't thought about shaving on the trail since I never have you might try what I got for Christmas. I've been wanting a travel razor that's more compact than my other DE razors. My in-laws bought me a very nice Merkur travel razor. It breaks down into 3 pieces (2 handle sections and the head). I haven't weighed it but the case is maybe 1" x 1 1/4". It's very small. It's not cheap but Merkur makes good stuff. I love my 38C.

You might try shaving oil instead of soap. Something like this.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

The whole idea behind using soap, is most hikers are already carrying a little bit to use to wash dishes and themselves. So using the soap you already have keeps from having to carry any additional items.

Images

Try shaving oil. Comes in small one ounce bottles, you just use a few drops so the bottle lasts a really long time. They say 3 drops, I probably use 4 or 5. I use it when traveling all the time. Available at many fine drug stores , and of course, that place that starts with W and ends in T.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

A dermatologist friend of mine once made a revolutionary statement that changed the way I shave forever. "It is the water that softens the beard, not the soap". That was years ago, and I have not purchased a can of shaving cream since. If you must shave on the trail, get a light disposable razor and have at it. You can heat water or not and make sure you wet your beard thoroughly beforehand. My beard also itches after a few days, but in time this will pass, as others have said.

litefoot 2000

Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    Does anybody but me bother to shave while out on the trail? If so, what are your tricks? I know I'll usually be in town at least once a week, but...well this is just one of my quirks.

-Smalls
    I find I can shave with a little campsuds (which I have with me anyway) using a small piece of plastic mirror or even no mirror and a cheap, light, 6 for $3 type 2-blade disposable. This is not as UL as not shaving, but less than an ounce for everything. Experiment at home and you'll see. I plan on shaving every 2 or 3 days, because it just feels better to me.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Disposable Quatro razor - cut the handle in half or 3/4 off.
    Mirror - Silva compass - second half is a mirror
    Dr. Bronners.

I don't like doing the Grizzly Adams thing either. My beard can come in spotty(makes me look like a burn victim), it attacts dirt and grime, and it still itches well after two 1/2 weeks of growth. I buy a cheapy razor and shave dry or a small traveling kit every 2 -3 wks or so at a pharmacy or gocery store and go at it.

Clean you face first as Joe Cross recommends.

I'll vouch for the Mach III's lasting forever. If you shave 2-3 times a week it'll last a month.

Images

I dry shave, but I don't think I could do it on the trail. I would think that the combination of higher facial oil and skin would quickly clog up the blades.

As far as the mirror thing, I see no need. The only tough spot would be the side burns. The rest is easily dealt with by feel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++