WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Barefoot/Minimalist Running

Does anyone here run trails barefoot, or in minimalist shoes? I've spent the last few months alternating between running barefoot and in Vibram Five Fingers and I'm sold on its benefits. I run slightly slower now, but have also done away with any of the knee pains that I had before - a totally acceptable tradeoff for me since I look at my trail running more as high-speed hiking between points of interest instead of running purely for speed.

For anyone that's tried running in any of the minimalist shoes available right now, what have you tried? I really like the idea of the Invisible Shoe Huraches, but I can't find a way to tie them that won't give me blisters. VFF's are still my go-to, but they look way too goofy for me to wear them for anything but running and hiking. I'm thinking about trying a pair of these shoes by Sockwa, but 1.5mm sounds REALLY thin for trail running. Any thoughts on the plethora of new minimalist shoes that will be coming out early this year? I'm especially looking forward to the Merrell Barefoot shoes.

I've heard that the minimalist New Balance shoes are pretty awesome but have yet to see them first hand. I've tried a few various shoes and just decided the approach wasn't for me. A

I want to try them (i read the book "born to run")
    And my one knee sometimes gives me problems after a long run.
    But $100 is quiet the gamble isn't it.
    So, i'll be watching this thread closely to hopefully come up with some other options (Vibram is all i've looked at so far)
    Thanks.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

I'm not a runner but I do hike in my VFF's (when not hiking barefoot). I like them a lot and actually wear them out and about town as well - they spur some interesting comments! For all the "barefoot shoe" marketing hype that Vibram puts out, they still feel VERY MUCH like a shoe. The easiest demonstration of this is to walk around with one on and the other foot bare - big difference. But thanks for posting the link to Sockwa. I'd heard of them but haven't looked at their shoes before. The 1.5 mm thick sole sounds more intriguing than scary so I may buy some if they ever make them in my size.
    “The press of my foot to the earth springs a hundred affections.” Walt Whitman

The fact that the Vibrams are still very shoe-like is another complaint of mine. http://shop.zemgear.com/ These might be worth checking out, too. They're basically a neoprene bootie with a thin rubber sole. Searching Google I found that they're also coming out with a running-specific version soon. Something like these or the Sockwas are more of what I'm looking for - super basic with a little protection from rocks and roots.

Fiddlehead, I started looking into minimal shoes after I developed knee problems from overdoing it way too quickly. I came into running from a cycling background racing road bikes, so the endurance was already there for me, and I didn't ease into my running at all. My knee hasn't been the same since, but I have no problems running barefoot or with a VFF while concentrating on keeping proper form. Realizing I was able to run on trails again was the greatest feeling. It's definitely not for everybody, but absolutely has worked for me.

I've had the New Balance MT101s for 5 months, or so. I love them. They fit like a glove, support your feet well, very lightweight, and have good traction. I also like the rock guard in the sole. I don't do long distance backpacking or speed running in these, but they are great for day hiking. I think the steady trail running for point to point sight seeing is a great use for these shoes.

Good luck in your search.
    2013 AT NOBO - 03/13/13 to 08/14/13

Quote Originally Posted by pistol p View Post
    I've had the New Balance MT101s for 5 months, or so. I love them. They fit like a glove, support your feet well, very lightweight, and have good traction. I also like the rock guard in the sole. I don't do long distance backpacking or speed running in these, but they are great for day hiking. I think the steady trail running for point to point sight seeing is a great use for these shoes.

Good luck in your search.
    They luck like a regular shoe compared to the Vibram 5 fingers.
    I guess it's sort of like a hybrid.
    Many of these shoes seem that way, except the Vibram 5 fingers.
    One question: Do people wear socks with these type shoes?

I'm gonna order something soon so, keep the ideas coming folks
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Injinji makes toe-socks that people sometimes use with Vibrams. Usually no socks are worn with Vibrams and the other options I've come across. I'm thinking about giving the ZEM's a try - the price is right.

Playing with the idea of making some of those invisible shoe huraches. I have a pair of vibrams that I run in but, as mentioned above, they are very much a shoe.

Even if I don't use them for running, just a daily all around shoe would be nice to have. Any thoughts on using something like the huraches as a trail shoe? seems like the perfect shoe for midnight bathroom trips and creek crossings. Has anybody tried them for that?
    You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment"
    -Henry David Thoreau

I have a pair of them and, as much as I want to love their simplicity, I have yet to figure out a way to lace them so that I won't get blisters between my big and second toes. I've run in them once and over the course of just a few miles I was constantly adjusting and retying them until I gave up and turned back. If I could figure out a way to lace them that would omit any of the cord needing to be between my toes, I think they'd be great.

I don't run (but someday maybe I will) but I have been making my own minimalist shoes and sandals. It has taken a lot of trial and error.

My shoes are zero-drop, no arch support, no real cushioning but my soles are a bit thicker than Barefoot Ted's Lunas. Usually between 10mm and 15mm. That seems to be about right for hiking on rocky trails. Too thin and I can't keep up with my friends.

I finished a pair of hideous sandals the other day. They are similar to sandals that Native Earth makes. I went for a walk in them today to test them out and did a little running in them. They turned out to be really comfortable. I could totally run in them. They don't slip or chafe. I could tell they let me run properly with a forefoot/midfoot strike, not a heel strike, nothing forced about it. I'm going to give them another test tomorrow. Anyway, if you don't want to go to the trouble of trying to make your own, perhaps the Native Earth sandals would work for you. Look how thin their sole is.

Here's a picture of the sandals I made (and my hairy hobbit feet )
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

The options mentioned above are all interesting ideas.

I've been giving some thought to making my own moccasins from smoke tanned moose hide if I ever get enough down time. The information I've come up with by searching the internet is that to make a very durable pair, it has to be a thicker hide from a bull moose. This is what the trappers, hunters, native Americans and guides used in the early days.

They would even work well in cold temps from what I've read and they give you the free feel of the ground while still offering protection.

I have found some links where I could buy a quarter hide for a couple hundred dollars. I think that would be enough for about four pair which is a big gamble if it didn't work out....so I'll keep looking and maybe I can come up with someone that processes meat for hunters in Maine that might be able to help out with a smaller hide for less money.

I have become a firm believer in the barefoot thing. I had a nagging case of Plantar Facsiitis that wasn't getting better after 8 months. That was about the time I read "Born To Run" and I started going barefoot as much as possible...even running barefoot at the soccer field. The PF started getting better almost immediately.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

You could use thinner leather for your moccasins and just glue on multiple layers on the sole for strength or even glue on some thin rubber soling so they last longer. Then you could at least build your skills and refine your pattern with cheap leather, possibly even stuff from the scrap bin, before hacking up some expensive stuff.

Anyway, I wouldn't have thought these sandals would be appropriate for running. Maybe somebody would laugh at me because they don't look like huaraches. But I just can't stand that toe thong on huaraches and all my attempts to make a sandal that was strappy like a huarache and didn't have a toe thong would flap in the front or even get caught in the front and trip me and would chafe in the wrong places. This style is way more comfortable. With the heel section cupping my heel and the toe parts protecting my pinky toes I don't feel like I have to fuss around with lacing, get used to them or worry about breaking my toes if I step wrong on a trail somewhere. Anyway, it is another option for those who can't wait for the new minimal shoes coming out in the spring from Altera and Merrel.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I hate to be on the side of a bunch of barefoot hippies, but I believe there's something to all this talk about the benefits of going barefoot.

Default VFF experiences for running (and get calf sleeves!)

Started running again last year and since I was going to have to blow $100 on something, I decided to try the VFFs. I did go out in my Sprints on the trails a few times first to make sure I could stand it. I bought a pair of the Biklias and love them - the thicker soles are the way to go for my flat, non-padded, hiking abused feet. They made running fun for me again.

FYI - if this helps anyone:
    --I have run without socks, but used the Injinjis once the weather got cold - they work just fine. I figure you can do what you like.
    --Make sure you actually change your running gait - some people think you run like you do in "regular" shoes; also realize you are doing something very different - be patient and take it slow. Plenty of web advice out there.
    --Your calves will feel like a truck ran over them the first few times. My brother got me a pair of compression sleeves for my calves for Christmas and they have made all the difference in calf soreness - wear during and after your workout in the VFFs. Check out: Zenseh here http://www.zensah.com/compression-leg-sleeves.html
    --I have run on pavement when I have to, but prefer to run on trails - usually that means run/hike/run/hike.

I consider running my "speed workout" for hiking. I decided to try running a 10k in them this weekend - not only did I finish it, I felt great and am the most nimble runner I've ever been. Plus it was entertaining to get the looks I did.....

Good luck - I'm not sure they are for everyone, but I love them.

-Sprout

Default Vff

I have been wearing Vibram KSOs for about a year now, and love them! Most people I know wear them as around town shoes... but I wear them for nearly anything. Sand, dirt, mud, rivers, salt water, around town, I even hiked a week in Acadia NP (maybe 60miles worth of mountainous terrain) without blisters or chaffing... and no socks.

They're not for everyone. If you are curious, find a brick and mortar store that stocks them and try them out to see if your foot will even fit them. They're like a glove... if not fitted properly, there can be a "webbed" effect or extra slop up front. NOT one size fits all!

I tell people, "It's like walking barefoot... I can still feel the gravel, it just doen't hurt when I run over it or step on a stick." I'll be buying a pair of the Komodo Sports when they're available.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I hate to be on the side of a bunch of barefoot hippies, but I believe there's something to all this talk about the benefits of going barefoot.
    They remind me of "earth shoes" in the 80s. Remember those?
    When the Kenyans give up their shoes, maybe I'll become a believer, but until I see barefoot elite marathoners, I'll remain a skeptic.

I workout barefoot everyday when doing anything balance related. It has really helped strengthen my ankles and their supporting muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    When the Kenyans give up their shoes, maybe I'll become a believer, but until I see barefoot elite marathoners, I'll remain a skeptic.
    That is, actually, where a lot of the "scientific" reports have come from to support barefoot running as "better." Many of the world's best/fastest runners train back home in Africa or the Caribbean on dirt roads and no shoes... Just saying...

Correct me if i am wrong but this running barefoot or in the vibrams is not a bad idea because shoes has actually altered the way we walk and run. Wearing no shoes you use more of the front of you foot like a spring rather than heels first with shoe running. Definatley have to build up the bottoms of the feet for that though.
    The poor man is not he who is without a cent, but he who is without a dream.
    "Harry Kemp"

Happy Feet
    CT 2011, PCT 2013

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++