WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default News from the Monson General Store

Morning all

First, Tim says HI and Happy New Year!!

We stop in to say hi whenever we are passing through and did so Sunday.

He has a message for the AT Community.

Last year, word was spread around that there was little or no resupply in Monson. That message came with a money-making offer of a shuttle to Greenville for resupply. Tim says the plan was successful in generating income for the shuttler and removing income from him.

So he would like to get the message out that nothing has changed with his business and he has the resupply he has always had. Also, it sounds like he will be offering rooms above the store this year.

Had a nice visit with him and thought I would pass this along.

Happy New Year from me as well.
    "If I get started in the right direction, I just might get to where I want to go." -- Tab Benoit

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Between the General Store and the convenience store up the road Monson has pretty much anything you'd need for sure.

I stayed at the Lakeshore House & Pub and a bunch of guys chipped in on a shuttle to Greenville to a "real" grocery store but I didn't see the need myself.

Thanks for the update on Tim and the Monson General Store. Tim is an exceptional person, with a real heart for hikers. His store is conveniently located, and last I knew, he did have lot's of stuff for resupply. Anyone know if he still does the Friday night jam sessions? Anyway... Monson is a great place. Tim makes it just a little but greater!

Images

Love Tim and his store. On my many trips through Monson always counted on him for Ben and Jerry's ice cream. He's a great guy!
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I didn't see he had a whole lot on the shelves when I was there (I've been there twice = '07 and this past July). But he did ask what resupplies would be good for hikers back in '07, so he is hiker friendly guy who wants to please. And he's great for snacks.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

I was there in July of 2010. I would agree with the statement of "limited resupply" for the Monson General Store. I found a greater variety of supplies at the convenience store up the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Kel, the "Stickman" View Post
    Anyone know if he still does the Friday night jam sessions?
    Still going strong as far as I know. It has been May since we cruised through on a Friday evening but evidence of it (mic stand, amp) were still in the store Sunday.
    "If I get started in the right direction, I just might get to where I want to go." -- Tab Benoit

Tim is one of the most hiker friendly guys i've met,helped him stock shelves when he bought the store!I agree there is no need to go to Greenville,unless you have some kind of special diet you need to address.

Tim is the finest kind, Friday's jams are great fun, and even with 'limited resupply' hikers can still find enough in Monson to get them through the Wilderness.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Scribe View Post
    Last year, word was spread around that there was little or no resupply in Monson. That message came with a money-making offer of a shuttle to Greenville for resupply. Tim says the plan was successful in generating income for the shuttler and removing income from him.

So he would like to get the message out that nothing has changed with his business and he has the resupply he has always had. Also, it sounds like he will be offering rooms above the store this year.
    I had this exact same conversation with Tim in September. I tried to get the word out heading north, but there weren't that many SOBOs coming thru by then.

Anyway, Tim is a super nice guy, he let me camp in his back yard. I hope things look up for him in the new year.

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kel, the "Stickman" View Post
    Tim is an exceptional person, with a real heart for hikers.
    As I recall, he's a good ol' Alabama boy, who has an interesting and funny story about how he came to be in Maine by mistake on discharge from the service. But as happens to lots of us guy, he met a gal and the rest is history! LOL

Here's a pic of him with my daughter Grass in '04, right before the WhiteBlaze "feed" in Caratunk.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

++ New Posts ++