WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Bear Grylls new Knife

Blade size is 100mm X 30 X 4 (3.9inches x 1.2 x .16) which is in the range of a good survival knife. Total length 215mm (8.5 inches) and weighing in at 200grams (7 ounces).

11.02 with sheaf & sharpener

REVIEW http://www.survivaltopics.com/surviv...-grylls-knife/

LOOK SEE http://bear.gerbergear.com/
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

A nearly useless knife IMO.

just buying his name. i will stick with my SOG

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Scout View Post
    just buying his name. i will stick with my SOG
    You saw the spokesperson for SOG???
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    A nearly useless knife IMO.

OK Brad, - they put a lot of thought into it and its made by Gerber.... Can I ask you to back up your statement with a why?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    OK Brad, - they put a lot of thought into it and its made by Gerber.... Can I ask you to back up your statement with a why?
    Not sayin I'd buy it, but I sure do like the looks and everything it offers! I love Gerber products, they have served me well!

Journal Entries
    Images

Well I probably have too many knifes, I have given a few good ones away, so I am not saying I would buy it either... Many things Bear endorses - become astronomically priced. Take a look at those pants on line for a laugh.

Woo

Well I probably have too many knifes, I have given a few good ones away, so I am not saying I would buy it either... Many things Bear endorses - become astronomically priced. Take a look at those pants on line for a laugh.
    Most major companys have high profile endorsments, that what makes things so expensive, but like I said I love Gerber products and reallllllllly like the looks of that knife! Thanks Wise one

HiKen aka Dtour

Images

Default The REAL Bear Knife.. Bear & Son

If you like the look of that knife.. and want a US made version at a mere fraction of the price.. look at Bear & Son knives.
    I bought mine at Seldom Seen Knives in West Yellowstone Mt. I paid 70 bucks.
    It is definitely way overkill for a thru hiker knife and I definitely ain't bothering to haul it on the AT(Victorinox Classic for AT). My Bear & Son "skinner" is a great US made knife with excellant utility value. I went with a drop point single edge. The back side is square(thus skinner). It makes it really useful for splintering chunks of wood for kindling. You can tao the blade into stumps and logs. Also makes it easy to get at dry wood in rainsoaked deadfall.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    If you like the look of that knife.. and want a US made version at a mere fraction of the price.. look at Bear & Son knives.
    I bought mine at Seldom Seen Knives in West Yellowstone Mt. I paid 70 bucks.
    It is definitely way overkill for a thru hiker knife and I definitely ain't bothering to haul it on the AT(Victorinox Classic for AT). My Bear & Son "skinner" is a great US made knife with excellant utility value. I went with a drop point single edge. The back side is square(thus skinner). It makes it really useful for splintering chunks of wood for kindling. You can tao the blade into stumps and logs. Also makes it easy to get at dry wood in rainsoaked deadfall.
    Looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Images

Blade size is 100mm X 30 X 4 (3.9inches x 1.2 x .16) which is in the range of a good survival knife. Total length 215mm (8.5 inches) and weighing in at 200grams (7 ounces).

11.02 with sheaf & sharpener

REVIEW http://www.survivaltopics.com/surviv...-grylls-knife/

LOOK SEE http://bear.gerbergear.com/

A serrated blade? Really? For what? Fighting Talliban?

Surviving what? On the Appalachian Trail?

Heavy... clunky... good for killing people and not much else. Any one thing besides killing, I could name a knife better for any given chore from cutting vegetables to dressing fish or game.

If it's personal defense you're after there a better solutions... as the man said, "never take a knife to a gunfight."

It's a free country and you can get whatever you want but you obviously were soliciting opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    A serrated blade? Really? For what? Fighting Talliban?

Surviving what? On the Appalachian Trail?

Heavy... clunky... good for killing people and not much else. Any one thing besides killing, I could name a knife better for any given chore from cutting vegetables to dressing fish or game.

If it's personal defense you're after there a better solutions... as the man said, "never take a knife to a gunfight."

It's a free country and you can get whatever you want but you obviously were soliciting opinions...
    +1

It be about as helpful as my paraframe

Images

$700.00 + for a knife? Wow!

If Bear told me to treat my water I might just drink up straight out of that mud puddle just out of spite...give me a straw.

I despise that man and everythign he attatches his name to. I have been through many survival courses...even had real backwoods emergencies to deal with and I am here to tell you the man is a clown. If anyone thinks doing th ecrap he pulls is the way to deal with a real situation then they are going to be really sorry if they ever find themselves in such conditions. One of the first rules of "survival" is not to risk your life jumping off cliffs into trees like Rambo, leaping over crevases/gourges or swimming in the fastest part of the river. these sorts of things make you a victim (of your own stupidity mostly) rather than a survivor...unless of course you manage to survive your own stupidity.

So I will aways do the exact oposite of what that douche says to do....
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Journal Entries
    Images

I've had my $1.00 walmart 4" lockblade/partial serrated knife for a few hundred miles & it has never let me down. I'll stick with it-- pun intended : ~ )
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    One of the first rules of "survival" is not to risk your life jumping off cliffs into trees like Rambo, leaping over crevases/gourges or swimming in the fastest part of the river. these sorts of things make you a victim (of your own stupidity mostly) rather than a survivor...unless of course you manage to survive your own stupidity.
    Or the stupidity of the audience. Sadly, one of the first rules of "reality" television is unreal stunts just as you described to give the audience a thrill or titillation they can't get off their fat asses to get themselves. Real life is boring, or so is considered by television executives and audiences.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

It's called television people, that's how they sell advertising. There is a reason his show does well, because people actually want to watch it. There is a disclaimer right at the beginning of the show, for those of you that can't pay attention apparently. Simple fact is that he is an extremely qualified survivalist with a very impressive resume' that has an exciting TV show, and has made money doing it. Kudos to him...

Journal Entries

Also the quality of Bear's awesome knife is in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-oR4K4sVR8

Gerber usually does better :-/
    2012 NOBO - April start date
    Follow me here: Here, There, and Everywhere

Journal Entries
    Images

YohonPetro excellent find that's doing your homework.

Folks try to avoid posts that inflame, lets try to keep this as a dialogue. It's just a knife, not a rifle.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 01-05-2011 at 13:37.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    It's called television people, that's how they sell advertising. There is a reason his show does well, because people actually want to watch it. There is a disclaimer right at the beginning of the show, for those of you that can't pay attention apparently. Simple fact is that he is an extremely qualified survivalist with a very impressive resume' that has an exciting TV show, and has made money doing it. Kudos to him...
    As a chemist I have a truly impressive almost god-like resume but i don't do dangerous demonstrations in front of people during my presentations and try to get away with the old "don't try this at home kids..." routine. Highly qualified or not he's still a clown and as such his show should be called stupid human tricks or some variation thereof so he doesn't get sued by letterman.

If his claim is he's a trained professional he also has the responsibility to not show people how to kill themselves. Saying it's TV is a cheap out. If he wants to sell it as extreme sports then he should have Warren Miller produce his show...his stuff is way cooler.

Anyway back on topic the knife is way over priced...it doens't matter what name you associate it.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++