WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Do I really need two bags?

Need some pointers...Ive been looking at sleeping bags for my SOBO hike (Starting June 10th-ish). I looked at the average temperatures for the SOBO thru hike, its a pretty wide range of temps. It seems as if some hikers switch bags when it gets colder, and some use liners. Id like to keep the expenses down, but If need be I ll buy another bag. Any suggestions? Thanks
    PhatNate

Oh yeh...synthetic or down?

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by PhatNate
    Need some pointers...Ive been looking at sleeping bags for my SOBO hike (Starting June 10th-ish). I looked at the average temperatures for the SOBO thru hike, its a pretty wide range of temps. It seems as if some hikers switch bags when it gets colder, and some use liners. Id like to keep the expenses down, but If need be I ll buy another bag. Any suggestions?
    Up to you and your comfort level. If you are okay with the same bag in Maine in June and mid-Atlantic in summer, then that's your answer. If you want a heavier bag in Maine than Virginia, then that is your answer. A liner supposedly gives you 5 - 10 * extra, and you can always sleep in clothing, or walk through cold nights with headlamp. The price of a 45* bag for sumer use is only about 60-70 bucks, not much compared to the cost of a thru-hike. Staying in your bag one or two nights instead of a motel will make up the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatNate
    Oh yeh...synthetic or down?
    I like synthetic, but this is a very personal decision. Basically, down = lighter and more compressible, synthetic = heavier but better when damp.
    Frosty

Hello PhatNate,

You dont HAVE to do anything... its really up to you if you want two bags. It will save you weight to carry a lighter bag durring the warmer months, but do you really need one? I've answered that as a no for me. I'm also starting a SOBO (June 4 for me) and only plan to bring one bag, and WM Ultralight. It will always keep me warm, and if i want i could just use it as a blanket over half my body, or just sleep in my silk liner. I dont veiw it as worth it to have two bags myself. You, on the otherhand, my have want for a lighter pack, or a cooler rated bag, and may want to bring one. Its really a personal choice.

And if you do decide on a lighter bag... Fleece is cheaper then a whole nother bag, and you can very easily sew yourself a bag in less then a hour. I've considered doing it myself. I dont really know if it is much lighter then a WM Ultralight though.

Pink

Default Cat's Meow

I have a Cat's Meow...synthetic and it's great! When it's warmer, I just unzip it and sleep on top of it.

++ New Posts ++