WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Dried Potato Stupid or Genious?

While making Scalloped Potatos I had some overage and decided to use a thick blade on the processor. I let it eat golden spuds (Skin On) , then moved them to a pot of boiling water for 1/2 an hour to go a little beyond blanching. Don't skip this step - the outcome will be brown hideous looking product.

After the blanch I move it to a colander and wash the starch out and transfer the "chipped" potato to the dryer. A light SEA salt (Fine) is applied - I do not use regular salt anymore.

Five hours later I have dried slightly salty - no oil or fat chips...

1/2 the weight - no cooking required... If you decide to cook I suspect it would cook in no time - add a gravy rollup. See previous Gravy thread.

Thoughts?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    While making Scalloped Potatos I had some overage and decided to use a thick blade on the processor. I let it eat golden spuds (Skin On) , then moved them to a pot of boiling water for 1/2 an hour to go a little beyond blanching. Don't skip this step - the outcome will be brown hideous looking product.

After the blanch I move it to a colander and wash the starch out and transfer the "chipped" potato to the dryer. A light SEA salt (Fine) is applied - I do not use regular salt anymore.

1/2 the weight - no cooking required... If you decide to cook I suspect it would cook in no time - add a gravy rollup. See previous Gravy thread.

Thoughts?
    Genious friend!!!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

How thick?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    How thick?
    Hamilton Beech 6mm blade looks like 1/4 inch.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

It's one of the things I always dehydrate; great source of potassium and carbs. I don't eat them as potato chips, just throw them in my stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post

Thoughts?

5 hours? Really? I say stupid when you can buy this in a store.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/products...toes&WT.srch=1
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Some people enjoy preparing their food from scratch.

The last time I tried to dehydrate some apricots, I had them in the oven on low and was out in the back yard working and came back in to check on the progress only to find that the wife had thown the apricots away. I aske why did she do that and she said they looked all dried up.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    5 hours? Really? I say stupid when you can buy this in a store.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/products...toes&WT.srch=1
    Fair - but the stuff at the store is marked up covered in preservatives and comes with a cheese pack that I won't use and three tablespoons of salt - which I am not supposed to eat.

4 potatoes reduced to 3 oz and some moisture was left in.

Woo

"The last time I tried to dehydrate some apricots, I had them in the oven on low and was out in the back yard working and came back in to check on the progress only to find that the wife had thown the apricots away. I aske why did she do that and she said they looked all dried up. "

Hey man that's funny.

Journal Entries
    Images

4 potatoes reduced to 3 oz and some moisture was left in.

Woo

++ New Posts ++