WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Swimmin' Holes!

In PA, south of Boiling Springs are two swimmable lakes that are a lot of fun: Laurel and Fuller. They're in the Pine Grove Furnace State Park, and I spent a lot of summers as a kid swimming there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceReeves View Post
    In PA, south of Boiling Springs are two swimmable lakes that are a lot of fun: Laurel and Fuller. They're in the Pine Grove Furnace State Park, and I spent a lot of summers as a kid swimming there.
    I'm section hiking that in the middle of August. I'm sure it'll be hot out, glad there's lakes nearby

Quote Originally Posted by dperry View Post
    Sunfish Pond. Not sure if swimming is legal there anymore.
    never was legal there

CF97 > Everything Else.

If you take a side trail to Chimney Tops and hike to Chimney Tops trail head you can jump/swim here...

After the swim you would have a good chance of getting a ride back into town as well.

Midnight Hole is also a great place to swim but is HAR off the AT, but if you are taking a few days off in the Smokies it could be worth it.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Lifetime Section Hiker Berry Belle's Avatar

Maryland--Potomac River where the AT follows the C&O Canal towpath between Weverton and Harpers Ferry. Do not try to swim if the water is high and swift. Many have drowned here under those conditions. Great riding the current downstream if water levels are normal to low. Wear something on your feet!
    Pennsylvania--Pine Grove Furnace State Park has free swimming at Fuller Lake.
    "Are we there yet?"

+1 to Little Rock Pond in Vermont........ it has a not-so-little rock that you can leap off of, into the crystal clear and cool waters of this beautiful higher-elevation (for vermont at least) lake.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbler View Post
    I may be a little biased, because I live so close, but the Tye River at Va.56 is the perfect cooling off place. NOBOs...come down from the Preist shelter some 3000 feet and you might think of refreshing at the Tye River on those Mid to late May warm days before making the run up to Harpers Creek Shelter W/Nice campsites across creek. Then you can attack the 3000 foot run up to Three Ridges (many sites with vistas). Or you can push on to Maupin Field Shelter (more great campsites). However, At the Tye there is awesome suspension foot bridge crossing, and on the other side, proximity to a few nice tempting campsites (though relatively close to the highway with the river in-between). The elevation drop and gain across the Tye is tasking on the body in the heat....Stop at the rocks below the bridge, cool off and Enjoy!

I am lucky to have the Tye within 25 minutes or so and go there often to chill when not hiking. Some times with trail magic. Maybe See ya there!
    That is one brutal section.

Be careful about cliff jumps, check the pool for rocks, they are the #2 reason for spinal injuries. Don't turn yourself into a quadraplegic.

Just a short slide downhill from the Fontana Hilton- the end of Fontana Lake was warm and luxurious in August.

Images

maybe a mile heading nobo out of Sages Ravine in that little river there, (i dont know what it's called) but it had some pretty deep pools. i woudln't dive in it, but definitely a nice place to refresh yourself if you were so inclined. IDK if that's illegal there or not, but when i filtered water, it was cold and the air was humid and hot so uh, yeah. i "fell in"...

Journal Entries

Your hot tired muscles can "not work " when immersed in cold water. A phenomena that can drown you.

AT thruhiker Parkside drowned in Pierce Pond in 2012

Waterfalls and slippery rocks are visible hazards
    But they arent the only ones
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-07-2018 at 19:06.

Images

5 mile south of Bland Va. you cross a bridge and below that bridge is a great pool with a nice waterfall feeding it. Not icecold but not warm either, just refreshing.

I need to find some in the Denver area

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++