WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Swimmin' Holes!

Images

Default Swimmin' Holes!

Hello all!! I was recently browsing through the thread posted in the Class of 11 section asking what we will miss, and it made me think. One of the things I will miss most is cooling off on hot summer days in my favorite Tennessee rivers, lakes, ponds, and streams. So where are the best and most beautiful places to cool from Virginia through the lowlands?

Images

Not sure about the middle sections but Sages Ravine on the CT/MA border has some fine swimming holes for cooling off after a hot day of walking.
    -milkman

got soul?

Images

In 2005 I swam in a river, lake, or pond every day all the way SOBO through Maine.

Images

Now that sounds like my kind of hike. I never expected to have much trouble finding places, just wondering if any locals along the way had favorite spots to share like rope swings, bluff jumps, etc... Doesn't look like the "points of interest" section is very frequented though

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Dismal Creek falls in VA

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Default Tye River Va.56

I may be a little biased, because I live so close, but the Tye River at Va.56 is the perfect cooling off place. NOBOs...come down from the Preist shelter some 3000 feet and you might think of refreshing at the Tye River on those Mid to late May warm days before making the run up to Harpers Creek Shelter W/Nice campsites across creek. Then you can attack the 3000 foot run up to Three Ridges (many sites with vistas). Or you can push on to Maupin Field Shelter (more great campsites). However, At the Tye there is awesome suspension foot bridge crossing, and on the other side, proximity to a few nice tempting campsites (though relatively close to the highway with the river in-between). The elevation drop and gain across the Tye is tasking on the body in the heat....Stop at the rocks below the bridge, cool off and Enjoy!

I am lucky to have the Tye within 25 minutes or so and go there often to chill when not hiking. Some times with trail magic. Maybe See ya there!
    "May Your Feet Be Light and Your Gait Be Long"... Hobbler

Images

Virginia has several good places to swim. The mid-Atlantic states are slim-pickings for swimming holes. Water altogether is pretty scarce. Nuclear Lake is the only swimming hole that comes to mind for me in that section of trail. There's a place near Port Clinton that you can dive off of a cliff but I'm not sure how far it is from the trail. Prepare to drink from bathroom sinks, water spigots, and jugs that trail angels leave at the road crossings. Boiling Springs, Caledonia State Park, and Bear Mountain have swimming pools. There's lots of good swimming holes in Maine, just keep your fingers crossed that it will still be warm when you get there so you get to enjoy them.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Swimming Holes

The Cabin at Upper Goose Pond has one of the best swimming holes on the whole AT. Don't miss this wonderfull stop when hiking the AT in Mass.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbler View Post
    I may be a little biased, because I live so close, but the Tye River at Va.56 is the perfect cooling off place.
    I'm looking for those places people are biased to, that are to others what the places I'll miss are to me. Thanks Hobbler!

As for Upper Goose Pond, I've already been planning a zero day to spend some time there after seeing it featured in Appalachian Impressions. I'll be looking forward to that for the whole walk, it looks like somewhere people would pay to vacation!

Thanks for all the help! Keep it comin! lol,.. I'll be adding all these into my notebook!

Images

I also enjoyed taking a dip in Stratton Pond in Vermont after a hot day of hiking. There's also a shelter and tent sites there though there is a nominal fee of I believe $5. Little Rock Pond south of Stratton is another great place for a swim.

Images

Default F y i

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    There's a place near Port Clinton that you can dive off of a cliff but I'm not sure how far it is from the trail.
    Cross that location off your list. Several have been killed or maimed and it is discouraged if not illegal as I have posted with corroborating links previously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Cross that location off your list. Several have been killed or maimed and it is discouraged if not illegal as I have posted with corroborating links previously.
    crossed off....

Boiling Springs - right in front of the ATC Center, 50 degree plunge on a hot PA day was great. Nuclear Lake in NY - a good one. Dismal Falls is worth a night - we got a 12 pack of beer delivered there by some locals and spent the afternoon by the falls with some road-pops. Anywhere in Maine as long as it is warm enough.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OldFeet View Post
    I also enjoyed taking a dip in Stratton Pond in Vermont after a hot day of hiking. There's also a shelter and tent sites there though there is a nominal fee of I believe $5. Little Rock Pond south of Stratton is another great place for a swim.
    Little Rock Pond is indeed a great spot to swim...but it is 30 miles NORTH of Stratton Pond. In 2011 they built a large, beautiful shelter at Little Rock Pond and it is No Charge if you already paid at Stratton Pond shelter.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

irreverent
    Images

a bit down the cedar run blue blaze trail in SNP is a natural waterslide (about 30') that drops into a nice pool. check it on you tube.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Little Rock Pond is indeed a great spot to swim...but it is 30 miles NORTH of Stratton Pond. In 2011 they built a large, beautiful shelter at Little Rock Pond and it is No Charge if you already paid at Stratton Pond shelter.

Oops. Sometimes l get directionally challenged.

Harriman State Park in NY has multiple opportunities. Island Pond by the Lemon Squeezer and Lake Tiorati has a beach and locker rooms with vending machines.

james river in virginia and theres a bunch of water fall/swimming hole combos on the MAU-HAR trail running between maupin field and harpers creek

There's that lake in New Jersey a few miles up from DWG. Been a long time, but I remember it as a good spot for a break.

On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mirabela View Post
    There's that lake in New Jersey a few miles up from DWG. Been a long time, but I remember it as a good spot for a break.
    Sunfish Pond. Not sure if swimming is legal there anymore.
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++