WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Knee Pain (Overuse?)

I have developed knee pain after about 2 hours of hiking. It is most painful on the downhill but uphill hurts, too. Putting weight on it is not the problem, flexing is what hurts. Does this sound like an overuse issue also related to age? I'm 60 and want to do MORE hiking. Just walking around does not make it hurt, I walk about 2 - 3 miles a day at my work. It is perhaps the ultra flexing for climbing that triggers it? Anybody else develop this problem and what do you do for it?

My guess is that it's not over-use, but lack of use. Walking, intermittently, at work, is nothing like hiking up and down mountain trails.

Build mileage slowly to strengthen your joints while avoiding injury.

(If you have access to a C2 erg, you can really boost your strength and flexibility quickly.)

Good luck.
    Roland

BTW, welcome to WB, Mo.
    Roland

An orthopedic doctor is one way to find out for sure what the problem is. But if you wish to self diagnose you could try a knee brace to see if that helps. My knees get sore going down hill so I use two walking sticks I made out of oak saplings and that has made all the difference for me. Knee problems are complicated so guessing what your problem might be is just that, guessing. With me the more I walk the less pain I have so I've been doing 6-10 miles a day 5 days a week since about 1995.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Understand that the range of answers you're going to get will range from amputation to no-pain-no-gain so you really should see a doctor.

Are you wearing a pack when your knee starts hurting? If so, maybe you're carrying too much weight.

Images

stretching and strengthening the knee...

i'd also look into some glucosamine/chondrotin/msm combination at your local health food store...all three help with tissue repair and are very effective...don't buy the cheap brand!

there are also plenty of herbal options for inflammation: tumeric, yucca, boswellia...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Knee Pain or lower calve pain.

Images

Thanks for all the replies. I know a doctor's evaluation is what is needed but I don't have this pain every day. Just after hiking. I can climb up and down a ladder at work 70 times in one day and not have this pain. (I don't usually do that, though) I hiked a very strenuous canyon hike last October and had a hard time coming down, I could put weight on it, just not bend it. I carried about a 7 lb pack. Yesterday, I did a 10 mile hike, not nearly as strenuous, but still with a few steep hills and valleys, with a 25 lb pack (I weigh 115) to see what the results would be. I wore a Cho-Pat brace on the weak knee, but both ended up hurting. So far, the results tell me that an overnight with more hiking the next day is not in the picture. I will be consulting my Fitness Instructor daughter..maybe strengthening is what is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mo View Post
    (I weigh 115)
    Mighty Mo weighs 115. That is too funny!

Good luck with the knee!
    Roland

Images

Joint pain if often caused by a muscle imbalance. Hit the gym with your daughter and find out what muscles are relatively weak, and then work on those.

Images

I’m putting up with the same thing now, unfortunately. I am lucky enough to live less than a mile from the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Mountain To Sea Trail which I walk often with my kids and dog. Lately I’ve been carrying a twenty pound pack and my knees are killing me, so much to the point where it is hard to walk up stairs. I’ve got an appointment with an orthopedic doctor next week, but if this doesn’t better soon it will blow my start.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Joint pain if often caused by a muscle imbalance. Hit the gym with your daughter and find out what muscles are relatively weak, and then work on those.
    Short and sweet and to the point. And very true.

Images

For some knee problems exercise and stretching helps. I have patellar chondriamalecia which is caused by a misalignment of the knee cap. Treatment is exercises to strengthen the quadriceps and hamstring muscles in balance. Athletes often get this when a muscle is stronger than the opposing muscle. Going down is harder than going up. Something that sounds really silly but true for my problem is that my knees will get a little sore sitting through a movie or on a long drive -- this is one of the symptoms that's used to diagnose it.

Best is to see an orthopedist or sports medicine doctor to get a diagnosis, probably followed by time with a good physical therapist. There really are conditions that get worse without proper medical care so it's best to get a diagnosis.

Images

This morning, after resting yesterday, my knee is 100%. I've decided to strengthen my knees by doing what hurts them, but at a slower pace. I am going to walk up and down our stairs two at a time for 5 minutes morning and night for a week and then 10 minutes at a time next week. Then I have a 10 mile Signal Knob hike with a hiking group I just joined. We'll see how that goes

Glad to hear you're on the mend, Mo.

BTW, there are lots of guys your age that couldn't walk up stairs the way you describe.

Best of luck in your rehab!
    Roland

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Glad to hear you're on the mend, Mo.

BTW, there are lots of guys your age that couldn't walk up stairs the way you describe.

Best of luck in your rehab!
    60 isn't old.....

This morning, after resting yesterday, my knee is 100%. I've decided to strengthen my knees by doing what hurts them, but at a slower pace. I am going to walk up and down our stairs two at a time for 5 minutes morning and night for a week and then 10 minutes at a time next week. Then I have a 10 mile Signal Knob hike with a hiking group I just joined. We'll see how that goes
    I'm also 60 and had a sore left knee that sounds like yours for nearly 9 months. What helped the most (in order) was (1) bicycling -- I was amazed how much this helped; and (2) balanced resistance exercises for both the quads and hamstrings (e.g., leg press, hamstring curls) -- even better if you also hit the abductors and adductors)

Images

I want to give an update on my knee pain. The stair thing didn't help at all. I bought a Cho-Pat dual action knee brace and it is a miracle! I hiked 10 miles yesterday and I had NO PAIN WHATSOEVER in the knee with the brace!! I am ordering another one for the other knee. Woooo Hoooo!!!!

I want to give an update on my knee pain. The stair thing didn't help at all. I bought a Cho-Pat dual action knee brace and it is a miracle! I hiked 10 miles yesterday and I had NO PAIN WHATSOEVER in the knee with the brace!! I am ordering another one for the other knee. Woooo Hoooo!!!!
    that's really great - pls give an update when you do a hike with both of them. sounds like lots of folks have had good results with this brace.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++