WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Default Jefferson Rocks defaced

I read in the newspaper this morning that someone had defaced (with spraypaint) the Jefferson Rock at Harper's Ferry. Just a sad note on the type of idiots we have in this world.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Images

vandals and thiefs piss me off neo

If indians had spray paint 10,000 years ago they woulda used it to graffiti canyon walls and such.

Images

Probably,but it would have been more tastefull.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

2006 Thru-hiker in planning willyhort0w2's Avatar

WOW, good answer L. Wolf. I'm loosing more and more respect for you with every new post you add. So are you saying that because they also had fire and guns it was ok for the colonists to attack and pillage indian camps. I mean come on L. Wolf think about some things before you say them.

Lighten up willy. Where's your sense of humor? Good thing indians didn't have better weapons than the oppressors. We wouldn't be here eatin no turkey on Thanksgiving. And willy, don't take the internet so serious. Put me on your ignore list if you're so sensitive.

Default Bored with their Game Boy...

This past September, a hiker was staying overnight in the back of his truck in my driveway (the beds were all taken in the house and he wanted to sleep in his truck) when at 2:20 a.m. four kids spray painted a dirty message on the back of his truck bed cover. He woke up, jumped out and scared the hell out of them. It was great! Too bad he didn't go after them and tackle one or have a gun that he could have fired in the air. But, maybe not cause some gd lawyer would have sued him.

You would like to think they wouldn't go after historical treasures. IMO, the penalties aren't stiff enough for these little bastards when they are caught...which is a rarety.

Just misguided youth that need did'nt get enough kicks from their video games I guess. That's why I always admire the children hiking with ther parents on the AT...really says something.

Images

You hit the nail on the head Skeemer!! Good parenting is a responsibility. More and more rare these days.

I just read in the ATN today that they caught the little vandals that did this.

Who wants to make a bet.......$25 fine and a smack on the butt.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Hopefully the vandals will get a good judge who will make them clean it off with toothbrushes.

Hope they piss in their Gore-Tex, with gaiters.

In Singapore kids get caned for such vandalism. I'm sure you all remember the story. I actually met that kid....a very misguided soul.

"A slap on the wrist and a $25 fine."

Trailplace says the feds are throwing the book at them with a $250,000 fine and the possibility of 10 years...

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    If indians had spray paint 10,000 years ago they woulda used it to graffiti canyon walls and such.
    certainly correct..nowdays we find plenty of indian trash piles filled with broken pottery but we call theis trash they left behind artifacts.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default Wolf has a point

we romanticize the American Indian of old but in reality he/she was a barbarian on the same level of modern day Arabs, when you think of the Arabs what have they done since the pyramids (and someone probably showed them how to build them) except kill kill train their kids to kill, hate hate and hate some more.........think i blowing smoke? go to one of the remote eskimo villages in northern canada and look at the garbage-not tourist garbage but eskimo garbage, they still havent gotten the concept of trash bag or trash can

Harp Ferry has a lot of 'large canvass' grafitti, some of it dating back 100 years. The faded MENNEN advertisment on the MD. Height rocks come to mind. More recent additions of grafitti scrawl are to be found all over the rocks and heights. Jeff Rock hasn't been immune from these attentions either. It's been spray painted before and over the years name carvers have turned it into a regular alphabet tableau. So the kids probably thought they were carrying on a time honored tradition of claiming ownership, though in this case they distinguished themselves additionally by being stupid enough to get caught.

I fall in with the Lone Wolf school of thought about the cultural inevitability of certain things, grafitti being one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan
    we romanticize the American Indian of old but in reality he/she was a barbarian on the same level of modern day Arabs, when you think of the Arabs what have they done since the pyramids (and someone probably showed them how to build them) except kill kill train their kids to kill, hate hate and hate some more.........think i blowing smoke? go to one of the remote eskimo villages in northern canada and look at the garbage-not tourist garbage but eskimo garbage, they still havent gotten the concept of trash bag or trash can
    Maybe the reason Eskimo's are so casual about trash is because, unlike the white man, they don't produce enough of it to have required the invention of entire industries just to deal with it (and badly I might add). Who are the real barbarians?

As for Arabs, next time you count the rear hooves on your favorite goat, don't forget to to thank the folks who saved mathematics from the dark ages.

I don't even know where to begin with the 'hate' part of your rant, so I won't even try.

Default Pathetic

MedicineMan, please learn more about history. Start with the PBS series "The Way West." It is not fiction. It documents how the white man conquered the western frontier from 1845 through 1899.

The white man drove the American Indian off their lands, herded them onto reservations; then when we wanted the reservatin land back, we broke the treaties. We didn't quit until we eliminated them (as a threat) and their main food source, the buffalo. All they wanted was to be left alone. Our ancestors slaughtered eveyone in their path, including innocent women and children. They called in "manifest destiny."

We're so proud to be Americans, land of the free...home of the brave. Well, it was their land...they were here first. We weren't any better than ancient conquerors like Alexander the Great, Atta the Hun, Hitler, anyone who conquered new territory by force.

I for one am so ashamed, I am seriously considering leaving my inheritance to them.

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Actually Wolf is correct. I won't have time to provide you with links and such, but there are several examples of graffiti by native populations, not only here but all over the world!
    So be it.
    --John

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Thumbs down Mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Skeemer
    We're so proud to be Americans, land of the free...home of the brave. Well, it was their land...they were here first. We weren't any better than ancient conquerors like Alexander the Great, Atta the Hun, Hitler, anyone who conquered new territory by force.

I for one am so ashamed, I am seriously considering leaving my inheritance to them.
    Since you're so ashamed, feel free to leave at your earliest opportunity. As for leaving your inheritance: why wait, those poor people need it now, not when you're done using it. Talk is cheap - blow it elsewhere...........
    Be Prepared

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++