WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Backpacking in Australia

I'm going to be studying abroad in Australia and I'll have a summer there to do whatever I want. I was wondering if anyone knew of or had any experience with backpacking in Australia. I've done some searches and can't seem to find information for any long distance trails there and was wondering if there even are any? Thanks.
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

There are a few Aussies on WB who will hopefully weigh in here. I spent a month in Australia mid-November to mid-December 2007 and recall some long distance trails around the Snowy Mountains and Mt. Kosciuszko National Park. I didn't do any overnight backpacking - we car-camped in a van, but we did some day hikes there.

I'm pretty sure there's some real cool backpacking possbilities in Tasmania which was probably my favorite part of Australia (well, snorkeling the GBR was pretty nice too). Tasmania is somewhat reminiscent of the Pacific Northwest in its temperate rainforests and terrain. I'm almost positive there are backpacking trails there. We're not talking hundreds of miles but enough to enjoy. BTW, Tasmania was where I saw a platypus - one of the luckiest wildlife sightings I've ever had.

gipcgirl lives in Australia, you might send her a PM with your questions.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Spider, Google long distance hiking trails Austrailia, like I just did, and get lots of info.

FYI Backpacking is something altogether different is Australia. You want to ask about "bushwalking" I believe.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

G'day Spider ;-)

Great to hear that you are coming Down Under for a visit. There are quite a few long distance trails in Australia, that you might like to try. )Being here in Summer might make it a little tough weather-wise & limit your options)

There is the....
    Bibbulmun Track
    Australian Alps Walking Track
    Larapinta Trail
    Heysen Trail
    Great North Walk

Google "Long distance trails in Australia" and you will get plenty of information

Which city will you be studying in ? Australia is a big place with lots of space between stuff (about the same land area as the continental US)

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you migh have.

One of the highlights of my life was when hitchiking across the outback in Oz-land, from Broome to Darwin, with my guitar, and getting picked up by a truckload of Aboriginals.
    We stopped for the night in a small town and we jammed, I tuned my guitar to their digiridoo and played pink floyd while they filled the air with the most awesome sounds.
    Enjoy.
    Kakadoo was a good place in the northeast.
    I did a little hiking down around Sydney in the Blue Mountains.
    I remember they had a trail there that might have been 200 miles long or something like that.
    Have fun.
    Kings canyon near the center was ok although a bit touristy.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kangaroo View Post
    G'day Spider ;-)

Great to hear that you are coming Down Under for a visit. There are quite a few long distance trails in Australia, that you might like to try. )Being here in Summer might make it a little tough weather-wise & limit your options)

Which city will you be studying in ? Australia is a big place with lots of space between stuff (about the same land area as the continental US)

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you migh have.
    I just realized that I'd be coming in my summer which would be your winter right? And I'd be participating in a field studies program in a spot near the Atherton Tablelands.
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

Images

Hello again WB, I've been fortunate to meet a lovely Aussie student here in Washington DC who has invited me to her home this October. We're spending a week in Tasmania and I have just started researching dayhiking there (her family is in Sydney and we plan on a day in Katoomba too) . Any suggestions? I know Cradle Mountain is a must see and I've read a tiny bit about some of other national parks in the

books I've gotten so far
    Rough Guide Tassie
    Lonely Planet Tassie
    Day Walks Tasmania - Chapman

Cookerhiker's comparison to the PAC NW makes me real excited - I think I saw a place with old growth forest in the SW. I'm really into trees

Any tips about Tassie is appreciated! Unfortunately I will not be doing overnights. Our week is 4 Oct to 12 Oct

Thanks!
    Last edited by wilconow; 07-05-2011 at 11:52.

Stranger lives and hikes in Australia send him a pm. He mentioned something about landleeches and other crawly things that go away in the winter there which is our summer

Images

Joh Chapmans book is a great place to start. He is well known in Australia for the walking guides he writes. Another good resource for ideas is the Parks tasmania website. They have a list of 60 day hikes divided into different regions.
    http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=1315

As you mentioned, Cradle Mountain is kind of compulsory. it is probably one of the busiest areas in Tasmania, but it is one of those places that you have to see if you are visiting.

If you are spending any time around Sydney & the Blue Mountains, this site has a good list of walks.

http://ozultimate.com/bushwalking/

I think one of the best day hikes around Katoomba is the Mt Solitary traverse (listed on the above site) a solid 12 miles with some good vertical & rough sections, but a very fun trip with some amazing views of the Blue Mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    Stranger lives and hikes in Australia send him a pm. He mentioned something about landleeches and other crawly things that go away in the winter there which is our summer
    Thanks bro haha...yes there are leeches here, on land! But it's an amazing country, some of the best forests I've seen. I agree the Blue Mountains are something special

Images

Thanks for the information! Yeah, I've been very impressed with the Parks Tassie site. It's where I ordered the books. The Chapman one hasn't arrived yet but should soon.

We're going to do most of our hiking in Tassie as my gf's family and friends are in Sydney.. but should get to Katoomba for a day, so thanks for the info about Mt Solitary!

What do you think about the weather for the first two weeks of October? From what I can tell it should be fine during the day, though not warm... with perhaps a little rain and wind

Images

October is a great time to be in Australia (especially near Sydney). Spring is not too hot & not too cold !

here are the climate averages for Cradle valley in Tas.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_096005.shtml treat the Tas mountains like the Whites though.....can snow any time of year!

And the same data for Katoomba

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_063039.shtml

This should give you everything you need to know about temps & rainfall.

Images

Thanks for your help Kaptain Kangaroo. It was a great trip overall, but I didn't get in as much hiking as I was hoping. We went to the Blue Mountains, Wineglass Bay, and I did Mount Wellington while my girlfriend did the Hobart Market. We were planning to do Cradle and Bruny Island as well, but the weather didn't cooperate. I posted some photos in the gallery. I love the Eucalyptus trees! Also I was amazed how many outdoor shops there were in Hobart.

"Big bickies" and a good Akubra will make for a nice trip.

++ New Posts ++