WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Bugs don't have calendars... they come out whenever it's inconvenient for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    I've hiked in AR in May a few times and would not recommend it. The trail is overgrown to the point of being hard to follow in places, the ticks are horrible, mosquitos are starting to hatch, and it is approaching being too hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by d.o.c View Post
    1000% agreed i tryd the ozark highland trail from its start to mulbery mountain for wakarusa music festival.. it was overgrown with nothing but poisionus plants ticks were evrywhre it was a straight mess all in all prob wont hike there again like that but it was pretty..
    Hmmm. Thank you both for this. I haven't hiked either of these trails, though I grew up in Arkansas - have hiked other, short, busy trails such as Petit Jean and Pinnacle Mtn.

Either of you know if the overgrown-ness is less of an issue some times of the year? I imagine November would be OK, maybe February. ...
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by LEM15 View Post
    Will the Long Trail be a muddy, buggy, slushy mess in May? I have the month off and am looking for a good month-long hike that I haven't done before. I love VT, but am wondering if it would be a mistake to thru-hike the LT this early in the season.
    Swiss Miss, it is true that May is not a great time for the LT, but it's not impossible. It's always rainy and muddy out there, but just a little more muddy than usual in May because of melting snow. When I hiked the AT in 2007, I was in Vermont from May 24 through 31 (memorial day was on the 28th). The bugs were annoying, the mud was nothing particularly bad, and the rain was no worse than anywhere else.

I spent the next two summers working on the Long Trail, and I can tell you June and July are just as rainy, if not more, than May. August and September really are the best times for a LT hike, but if you really want to do it in May, it would not be a total mistake.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Hmmm. Thank you both for this. I haven't hiked either of these trails, though I grew up in Arkansas - have hiked other, short, busy trails such as Petit Jean and Pinnacle Mtn.

Either of you know if the overgrown-ness is less of an issue some times of the year? I imagine November would be OK, maybe February. ...
    yea. the OHT is fine most parts of the year. many parts of it are even fine in may. but some parts are certainly not. we usually go do some portion of the OHT over memorial day weekend and never have a problem...but we make sure plenty of rivers are involved and do some swimming, etc. i wouldnt try to hike the whole trail in may.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

May is mud season in Vermont, and the GMC encourages hikers to stay off the trail until after Memorial Day. At some of the higher elevations and more sensitive spots, I believe the trail is actually officially closed.

We do our first maintenance the weekend prior to Memorial Day, and there is often still snow on the summit of Glastenbury Mountain, which is both lower in elevation and further south than many of the peaks along the trail.

See https://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=60
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    May is mud season in Vermont, and the GMC encourages hikers to stay off the trail until after Memorial Day. At some of the higher elevations and more sensitive spots, I believe the trail is actually officially closed.
    Is this for erosion reasons or hiker safety reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Leanthree View Post
    Is this for erosion reasons or hiker safety reasons?
    Erosion. Because much of the trail was designed before good water/erosion control practices became common, the trail is very prone to erosion when sodden.

The Green Mountain Club, Green Mountain National Forest, and I can't remember which state agency manages state forests officially "close" the trails for mud season, but there's absolutely no enforcement. Some people still hike the trails during that time, and some trails are just as muddy during the rest of the season, but it's one of those situations where they like to delay the big rush of hikers as long as possible. Memorial Day weekend is their official opening date more because they know they won't be able to stop people from rushing to the mountains that weekend than because that's when the trail magically dries out.

Quote Originally Posted by LEM15 View Post
    Will the Long Trail be a muddy, buggy, slushy mess in May? I have the month off and am looking for a good month-long hike that I haven't done before. I love VT, but am wondering if it would be a mistake to thru-hike the LT this early in the season.
    I always get a kick out of other people and their hang ups about just going for it, DON’T BELIEVE THE HYPE! Hike your hike and leave when it is convenient for you, no matter what, hiking the LT is going to be hot, buggy, muddy, & HARD so you might as well do what is good for you. I also love when people say the woods are closed, how exactly do you close a trail, is someone there at a closed gate? Put one foot in front of the other and eventually you will reach Canada, good luck and happy trails.

p.s-I start my E2E 6/1/11 if you can wait, and want some hiking partners, we will be at the Seth Warner shelter 5/31. Peace

Images

Yes - May is too early - I hiked the LT End to End in July - it was perfect - August would be good too. May would be a great time to do a big AT Section Hike - what about all of New Hampshire Southbound and finishing at Killington, VT? That would be in a similar geographical area - at least equally as challenging and a ton less muddy.

I also love when people say the woods are closed, how exactly do you close a trail, is someone there at a closed gate?
    I believe this comment sort of misses the point. The trails don't get there by themselves, they have to be built and maintained, mostly by volunteers, or they turn into an eroded and nearly impassable wreck; during the earliest part of the season they are very unstable, and just a couple of hikers in mud season can do more damage than hundreds later on. Waiting until the soils dry out is the considerate thing to do.

There are parts of the LT that are ready in May -- I could suggest some -- but for a thru-hike it's better to wait. It will be a lot more enjoyable, too.

I believe this comment sort of misses the point. The trails don't get there by themselves, they have to be built and maintained, mostly by volunteers, or they turn into an eroded and nearly impassable wreck; during the earliest part of the season they are very unstable, and just a couple of hikers in mud season can do more damage than hundreds later on. Waiting until the soils dry out is the considerate thing to do.
    You are bang-on by noting that it's more considerate. I would also note that the trail traverses a variety of public and private lands. The more damage that these lands sustain, the more "hard and fast" regulations that will be imposed. It is therefore preferable that the hiking community show good judgement on a voluntary basis to avoid the hard hand of government regulation or the withdrawal of access to by private land owners.

There is a lot of hype and scare tactics concerning mud season. In most years the majority of the trail is not in danger of permanent damage during April and May. The problem is the very sensitive areas are dispersed along the entire length of the trail. An E2E hike will pass thru sensitive areas without a viable option for detour and you will be causing more damage to those areas during a wet May.

As an owner of land that the LT passes thru, I can tell you the removal of the easement is not as simple as "mud season damage", but we appreciate the respectful use that most hikers exhibit.

The LT is a couple hundred yards from my back door and I see the trail conditions year round. IMHO you'll have a more enjoyable hike from June to October and won't have to worry about leaving a lasting impact.

Best months for a typical Long Trail thru-hike are, without question...July, August, September...and for some October.

June is an option if you can't wait a few weeks longer, bugs will be a real issue, mud everywhere...but May?

I hiked the LT starting in mid July, and mud was a problem in places, loooong flooded sections of puddles, 40 yards long, water up to your ankles, in July.

Now May?

I would recommend doing something like the southern AT from Fontana Dam to Damascus, or from Springer to Erwin, or Erwin to Pearisburg...but New England, not me!

Benton MacKaye Trail??

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower88 View Post
    I always get a kick out of other people and their hang ups about just going for it, DON’T BELIEVE THE HYPE! Hike your hike and leave when it is convenient for you, no matter what, hiking the LT is going to be hot, buggy, muddy, & HARD so you might as well do what is good for you. I also love when people say the woods are closed, how exactly do you close a trail, is someone there at a closed gate? Put one foot in front of the other and eventually you will reach Canada, good luck and happy trails.

p.s-I start my E2E 6/1/11 if you can wait, and want some hiking partners, we will be at the Seth Warner shelter 5/31. Peace
    I think you have missed the point: its not about "do your own thing", its about doing whats respectful to the land. Its muddy on most of the trail until late May-early June and alot the trail has mud most of the year. How about helping out instead of "don't believe the hype"? Because it isn't hype, its reality. But maybe you just don't care and you mask that with catch phrases?
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Mud season in New England combines the thawing of the soil, melting of snow and spring rains. It can be considerably worse than the usual mud from heavy summer rains. More important, as some have said, you can damage the trail, damage fragile alpine vegetation and cause erosion.
    https://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=60

[QUOTE=Driver8;1099324][/LIST]
    What about the John Muir Trail out in Calif? Too early in the season for that? It's length is comparable to the LT, and the scenery incomparable.

Much too early for the JMT; would still be covered in snow.

Journal Entries
    Images

The black fly's will eat you alive. Hiked the Long Trail once in mid May. the black Fly's were so bad I gave it up after three days.
    Grampie-N->2001

This thread is 8 years old, but I guess the info is still relevant.

Bottom line : DON'T HIKE THE LONG TRAIL IN MAY!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++