WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Thermarest trekker neoair

Does anybody have a thermarest neoair trekker. How do you like it. I know its heavier(not much) but I'm curious about the added durability of it. It seems to be a lower price too.

Interesting, I hadn't seen this. I imagine you'll have to wait some months before anyone has slept enough nights on one of these to talk about durability --- hopefully folks will thru-hike with one and report back. But since I thru-hiked with the less durable first version of Neo-air with no problems ...

The Trekker is 10 oz heavier, I wouldn't call that "not much" --- the 20" x 72" yellow (standard, light) Neo-Air is listed at 14 oz, vs 24 oz for the "trekker" in the same size. And the Trekker is rated at a slightly lower R value (2 vs. 2.5).

What you get in return is a unit that's supposed to be more durable (bottom) and comfortable (top).

I'll keep my existing Neo-Air along with a 2 oz Gossamer Gear thinlight pad, which helps protect the bottom of the Neo-Air, and adds a little R-value at the same time.

The thinlight is 13" shorter than a full-length Neo-Air, but for those using a full-length inflatable, you can still protect the entire length at a lot lower weight hit than 10 oz.
    Heck, if the "comfort" thing is an issue, you could put another thinlight on top and be warmer and more comfortable (I've done this on colder nights).

I do have a 72" Neo-air, and I extend the thinlight with a separate sit-pad that I carry anyway.

One interesting thing about the Trekker is that you can get it in a wider version at torso length. I personally am okay with the whole "arms falling off the sides of the pad" thing, but it's nice to have more pad shape options at any rate. I don't mean to sound negative here; it's great that they're offering more product options in general, I just don't see this one as a good choice for me.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Yea my bad, I didn't see it was a 10 oz difference.

I just read some reviews on the trekker and it sounds like the original neoair on steroids. It's made of tougher stuff and less noise. Doesn't have the reflective barrier though. The weight penalty but it may hold up longer. I don't have issues with the original neoair just sayin.

Here is a video of a guy who just bought one and gave his initial impressions:
    http://hikebikedale.blogspot.com/201...st-neoair.html

My set up is the same as BrianLe's. A full size (20 x 72 & 13.8 oz) regular Neo with a 1.7 oz 1/8" GG Thinlight pad. And I love it.

As far as comfort, the Neo by itself is more comfortable than any other pad I have tried. For me it is the horizontal baffles that make all the difference over the other pads such as the Exped with vertical baffles. By using the GG pad on top I have found it is only that much more comfy, plus by using the GG pad on top I have taken this set up down to temps in the mid teens. (It did not work out the same with the GG pad under the Neo ~ I got cold.)

As far as durability, well I think this is a personal thing. How rough are you on your gear? I don't throw mine around anywhere on the ground and then plop down on it. (If I were going to do this I wouldn't even use an air pad but rather a ccf pad.) IMO, as with ANY air pad care should be taken if you expect the product to last. This means clearing away anything that may cause a puncture and using at least a ground sheet or something underneath the pad.

(Now saying this...last weekend on a hike my buddy slept on my Exped directly on the ground, which happened to have rocks that couldn't be moved. In this case we put some leaves over the area where the rocks were, and it worked. However, throughout the night I did cringe everytime he moved around ~ which was alot...)

Anyway, I am sticking with my Neo. I like the idea of the trekker, but considering the weight difference and the R Value is lower it is not worth it to me. I would rather carry my ProLite 4 or my REI Lite Core 1.5 for the same weight and a much higher R-Value. These are also pretty comfy pads, they just ain't my Neo though...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Well, the UPS guy just dropped off my new Trekker. It looks pretty nice. I can't remember the last thing I bought that wasn't on sale. I had some money from Christmas and got this to cheer myself up and kick start thinking about my next hike.

So, I got the short wide version. $99 from Campmor. With the stuff bag it weighs 15 ozs.

The fabric is nice and it looks like the regular patch kit from my prolite will work if I need it.

My elbows are supported by the wider pad. Also, if I sleep on my stomach with one knee up, all the parts that need cushioning are on the pad--sweet.

I like the top material and think sleeping directly skin to pad would be comfortable. I would be carefull about bug stuff or sunscreen getting on it though. The instructions say to clean it with 409 cleaner. I usually use a silk liner so it will probably not get too dirty.

I think, from watching the video above and other youtube reviews, that people tend to overfill these mats with air. Mine is comfortable when it looks about half full.

I like this pad. I don't think it would replace my prolite for colder weather though. My plan is to use my empty pack under my feet, my liner and a quilt. Together, with waterproof stuff bag, it should weigh under 3lbs and pack to sbout 6X15 inches for everyhing. Should be good to 40 degrees for me and lower with long underwear.

The short length should work in my hammock as well, though I usually just use a mylar piece underneath to reflect body heat and discouage mosquitoes.

I may be wrong here, but I have read that to get the most of the "R-Value" then the more it needs to be filled, so I am not sure how they could be overfilled. When I fill my Neo I like it to be filled pretty much most of the way, but that's just the way I like it...

Oh and I am not sure if you are aware, but you don't need to leave the Neo aired up during the day when it is hot. It will cause the baffles/truss system inside the Neo to rupture. I am not sure if the trekker uses the same truss system inside, but if it does I figure it may be the same way.

Anyway, congrats on your new purchase! Getting new gear is always fun...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Journal Entries
    Images

for about 6 bux you can add a little water and abrasion resistance with a piece of tyvek cut to fit the shape of your pad, weighs an ounce, maybe two?
    alifelongpursuit.blogspot.com

The (Reg) size is listed at 540 grams, which is just a smidge above 19 oz.
    I'm not sure where you got your +10 oz figure from.

Neo Air 20 x 72 14 oz
    Neo Air Trekker 20 x 72 19oz

BrianLe said...

I'll keep my existing Neo-Air along with a 2 oz Gossamer Gear thinlight pad, which helps protect the bottom of the Neo-Air, and adds a little R-value at the same time.

The thinlight is 13" shorter than a full-length Neo-Air, but for those using a full-length inflatable, you can still protect the entire length at a lot lower weight hit than 10 oz. Heck, if the "comfort" thing is an issue, you could put another thinlight on top and be warmer and more comfortable (I've done this on colder nights).
    This is a great plan - exactly what I used on the AT from Damascus (purchased my NeoAir there) to Katahdin without a problem.

"The (Reg) size is listed at 540 grams, which is just a smidge above 19 oz.
    I'm not sure where you got your +10 oz figure from."
    As the less literate are wont to say these days "My bad". I suspect I displayed a mild innumerate streak here by adding "one pound" to "4 oz" and mistakenly getting "24 oz".
    Or at least the couple of random places I just checked list those weights, i.e., 20 oz, or 570g. Not sure in turn where you got 19 oz and 540g, but thanks for catching this --- I certainly did not intend to skew the discussion with bad data!

Even with a 6 oz delta I'll still stick with my lighter and presumably less durable Neo-Air. Pretty easy decision for me, of course, since I already own it, but I think I would go that way anyway.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

++ New Posts ++