WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hennnessy Hyperlite - Yes or No?

Currently using a BRCH (at 4lbs it's fine for a weekend, but not a thru-hike) and I'm looking to go as light as possible. My research on the Nano7 has led me to decide against it.

I got the UL Backpacker because the Hyperlite didn't come with a side zip last I looked at the site. I love the Backpacker, personally.

It seems that most hammock hangers on here will tell you three things:

1) go ask your questions on Hammock Forum where anything and everything hammock related will be answered

2) consider the WarBonnet

3) Whatever you do, don't forget to factor in the weight on an under quilt

Quote Originally Posted by Fog Horn View Post
    I got the UL Backpacker because the Hyperlite didn't come with a side zip last I looked at the site. I love the Backpacker, personally.

It seems that most hammock hangers on here will tell you three things:

1) go ask your questions on Hammock Forum where anything and everything hammock related will be answered

2) consider the WarBonnet

This cracks me up. It's funny you say that, because it's the reason why I made a thread specifically for the Hyperlite.

I went to the Hammock Forum, where nearly no one is viewing and they all just provide advice points 2) and 3) hahaha.

I considered the Warbonnet, it's not as light as the hyperlite and while I appreciate that the guy who owns the company is nice and everyone's pal, that doesn't help me decide what product is better.

And I don't use an under quilt. I've camped in my hammock in below 15 degree weather (with snow) several times, and I do different things to provide the needed warmth and insulation. Down booties and thick wool socks, and a small fleece throw to wrap my feet and ankles in, and another small fleece throw for my body, and a 0 degree down bag (3lbs).

Stay away from bottom zip. Just a personal preference, but it's why I'd stay away

Get the side zip

Quote Originally Posted by redeye View Post
    Stay away from bottom zip. Just a personal preference, but it's why I'd stay away
    I planned on getting the Zip with the side entrance.

Images

I have owned both the Warbonnet and the Hyperlight..

My Hyperlight got installed with a side zip from 2Q and ZQ over on HF..

Best Hammock I have Ever Had..

Beat out my WB, My Grizz Bridge, My Ultralight Grand Trunk, and the Ultralight Backpacker Zip

I am 220 and 6 foot.. has sag but it is comfortable to me.

"dirt"
    "All that is important is this one moment in movement. Make the moment vital and worth living." Martha Graham

That's awesome to know Pak-Man. I've been looking at the Hyperlite but was a little concerned with the weight limit of 200lbs. I'm also 6 foot but am running at about 235 right now, will be down to at least 220 by spring so it's good to know that i won't have to wait until i get down to 200 to use the hyperlite.

Images

Default Hhh

Quote Originally Posted by Fog Horn View Post

Does come in a zip now. Personally, if I were buying, I'd probably buy the regular and get the side zipper mod done after, thereby giving me the choice of which to use. The bottom entrance can be mighty convenient at times, BUT... (see below)

UQ weight... yes, if you're "adding" an UQ to what you already have (and not removing another piece of gear like a pad), then yes, you need to account for the weight. BUT... (see below)

Quote Originally Posted by henrygale View Post
    I considered the Warbonnet, it's not as light as the hyperlite and while I appreciate that the guy who owns the company is nice and everyone's pal, that doesn't help me decide what product is better.

And I don't use an under quilt. I've camped in my hammock in below 15 degree weather (with snow) several times, and I do different things to provide the needed warmth and insulation. Down booties and thick wool socks, and a small fleece throw to wrap my feet and ankles in, and another small fleece throw for my body, and a 0 degree down bag (3lbs).
    Warbonnet... your assessment of the "pal" mentality on HF is not unfair, but seems to miss the bigger point, which is that his hammock MAY be better product since it is the only one using a "footbox" which according to all that have it, allows you to lay more comfortably in the hammock. I have a HH and I bring a pillow to put under my knees, and I believe you don't need this as much in the Warbonnet (i.e. weight savings if that knee thing is ever an issue).

At below 15 deg, I assume you use some sort of pad. I found in my HH that the pad would catch the velcro on the bottom entry and work its way out in the middle of the night as I squirmed. So, if you use a pad, I would go with side zip only.

UQ... if you're really looking to save weight, an UQ that would take you to below 15deg is much lighter than 2 fleece throws and a pad. Also, with good insulation below you, the need on top is reduced, so you wouldn't have to lug that 3lb bag. Personally, I'd look at a cheaper hammock, even if it was a bit heavier, in order to be able to spend to get to this sort of system setup. It doesn't just work, it truly makes the experience more enjoyable.

Also, you didn't mention a tarp, but I assume you have one as part of the heavier setup you currently have. Perhaps you considered that you would just go with the one that is part of the HHH package? Its fine, but offers minimal coverage - kind of like a tent with no vestibule. Most end up replacing that tarp anyway with something else, so you might consider that when you're comparing prices between hammocks.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    UQ weight... yes, if you're "adding" an UQ to what you already have (and not removing another piece of gear like a pad), then yes, you need to account for the weight. BUT... (see below)

UQ... if you're really looking to save weight, an UQ that would take you to below 15deg is much lighter than 2 fleece throws and a pad. Also, with good insulation below you, the need on top is reduced, so you wouldn't have to lug that 3lb bag. Personally, I'd look at a cheaper hammock, even if it was a bit heavier, in order to be able to spend to get to this sort of system setup. It doesn't just work, it truly makes the experience more enjoyable.

Also, you didn't mention a tarp, but I assume you have one as part of the heavier setup you currently have. Perhaps you considered that you would just go with the one that is part of the HHH package? Its fine, but offers minimal coverage - kind of like a tent with no vestibule. Most end up replacing that tarp anyway with something else, so you might consider that when you're comparing prices between hammocks.
    I love the way my HH sleeps, but I'm not a back sleeper so I don't seem to have the issue with my knees.

I don't know if this helps the OP or not, but when I got my hammock set up, I bought the HH UL Backpacker, but then I bought the UQ and OQ and a larger hex tarp from WB. Doing the math on ounces, when I took out the sleeping bag I was going to get, and the sleeping pad, added the quilts, tarp, and two 3oz sitting pads, I ended up saving over a pound. I originally bought the HHSS but was not thrilled with it so opted for quilts instead and I'm happy about this choice.

I am normally a brand person and like to keep all the accessories for something within the same brand family, but I found that when shopping around for hammock setups, the best solutions seem to be to cherry pick what you want from different companies and then put them together yourself.

I had a HH UL Backpacker. I consistently woke up with my head in the mesh and it felt too small - otherwise it was a great hammock. I found myself more and more annoyed with snagging my clothes on the exit slit (it uses really heavy velcro).

So I sold it and right about that time, a few years ago, the Warbonnet ElDorado was being replaced by the Blackbird, and I sort of looked at it and said mmmm.... and gave it a try. This was long before it became popular, btw. I already had a tarp as I had gotten one when I found the HH handkerchief not to my liking, and it went well with the Blackbird.

I could hang the HH wrong. I have yet to find a way to hang the Blackbird wrong - it has been awesome. I got the double layer so I can use a pad in it without having it flip out from under me or me having to wriggle around onto it as I did in the HH.

There is a reason HH now has double layer side zip versions - it's called Blackbird. Those were not on the product list until the Blackbird was out for a couple years.

Consider carefully the length of the Hyperlite vs. the length of other HH hammocks. I am 5'7". The Blackbird gives me more room than I need to sprawl on the diagonal, while the same-sized UL Backpacker did not - they are approximately the same size fabric-wise, but the cut of the hammock makes a huge difference. It's not even the footbox; many times I am curled up in my top quilt and my feet don't even fully get into the footbox.

Images

I bought the hennessey back when they didn't have a side-zip =[ done fine with the bottom closure on the expedition though.
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

I had a HH ultralight backpacker. I got tired of the bottom entry and eventually sold it because the high fabric sides blocked air flow on extremely hot, humid, windless nights. I went back to a basic gathered end hammock with a separate bug netting. That way I can leave it at home when I don't need it. I got stung through the bottom of my HH once (a freak occurrence, I'm sure). Here's an old (and not too good) picture of me in my hammock on a local trip in RI: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...imageuser=2502
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I had a HH ultralight backpacker. I got tired of the bottom entry and eventually sold it because the high fabric sides blocked air flow on extremely hot, humid, windless nights. I went back to a basic gathered end hammock with a separate bug netting. That way I can leave it at home when I don't need it. I got stung through the bottom of my HH once (a freak occurrence, I'm sure). Here's an old (and not too good) picture of me in my hammock on a local trip in RI: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...imageuser=2502
    I had to remember how to post a thumbnail. Here's my hammock with the bug netting and spinnaker MacCat standard tarp:
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I've used a HH UltraLight, not the HyperLight, but I think they are similar. I used the HH during my 04 AT thru hike and it worked very well. But sometime afterwards, my sleeping position changed and found my knees and legs going thru the bottom entry of the hammock. Never tried the side zipper style from HH as I've moved away from HH products. After several brands, I settled on the Warbonnet Blackbird double layer - much more comfortable than anything else I've used. I did try the Nano7, but it feels like it would come apart fairly quickly and even for my short 5' 6" frame, seemed too small.

++ New Posts ++