WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Shakedowns?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Shakedowns?

I'm planning a shakedown trip the end of January- early February. Will most likely hit the Shenandoah National Park. Where are y'all going?

Images

I've been hiking a dozen miles a day in the Bangor area and at Acadia National Park since arriving back from northern Wisconsin in October as I keep in form for the next hiking season. Today we are going snowshoeing following yesterday's big dump. The plan is to bushwhack through the woods at my farm down to the Kenduskeag River and then north to see if we can pick up some snowmobile trails that I had found at the end of last summer. Then continue north to Pushaw Lake. Simple stuff but lots of fun. Also easy to call for a car if we need one.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fehchet View Post
    I've been hiking a dozen miles a day in the Bangor area and at Acadia National Park since arriving back from northern Wisconsin in October as I keep in form for the next hiking season. Today we are going snowshoeing following yesterday's big dump. The plan is to bushwhack through the woods at my farm down to the Kenduskeag River and then north to see if we can pick up some snowmobile trails that I had found at the end of last summer. Then continue north to Pushaw Lake. Simple stuff but lots of fun. Also easy to call for a car if we need one.
    Man you get around. And all this time I thought you were down there eating oranges waiting until it was time to come back to Erwin.

Quote Originally Posted by fehchet View Post
    Where in N. WI? I live in Vilas Co.

tf
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Images

Yes, I usually do spend time power walking on Siesta Beach but this winter and last winter I have been helping my son, daughter in law, and grandson up here on their farm. I hope to return to Florida in September but it is all up to the Lord. This snow up here stays until spring. I liked it when I lived in Erwin where if it did snow, it would be gone in a day or two. But my fave place is Siesta Beach and reading about snow.
    Time to put on some gear and get out and about.

Images

Just been running a lot. Planning a 4-5 day trip in early February to make sure all my gear is in order. Gonna try to put some pretty lengthy days on the trip (15-20mi) depending on snow.

Planning a few overnighters while I'm still in NC and then probably doing the NJ section when I move into my parents house for the 3-4 weeks before I start my thru.

Images

I'm getting some days off i Feb so i hope to do some longer day hikes and a few overnighters. Still the first mountain i hit will be Springer.

Doing a three day hike in the smokies this weekend (leaving from springer feb. 21). This hike was supposed to be for experience hiking in snow and really cold weather, however, it's supposed to hit 50* in the smokies this weekend... should be a beautiful hike though.

Images

Awaiting 10-K to see what the trail looks like from Sam’s Gap north in NC. All packed to leave tomorrow morning for a 3 day hike, but although no snow in Asheville I have little info on the trail up towards Erwin.

Did the Foothills Trail. It was cold.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Journal Entries

Anyone who attempts a thru hike without a LNG distance shakedown first is pretty crazy.

It would be real helpful to all potential hikers to go on a 60-75 mile trip over 4-5 days so you can test out your gear, mentally adjust to what is about to happen. Day hikes are no preparation at all. The hiking is the easy part, it's life on the trail that's hard.

Pls schedule a shakedown, so many start, without ever doing a long distance hike ever, and it can be shocking. It's romance goes quickly.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    The hiking is the easy part, it's life on the trail that's hard.

Pls schedule a shakedown, so many start, without ever doing a long distance hike ever, and it can be shocking. It's romance goes quickly.
    I've hiked around North GA leaving my truck on forest service roads and have shuttled easily a dozen people back to Amicalola State Park. The concept of taking a walk in the woods sounds sooooo good to some people, but the reality of being in the middle of the woods a good days walk from anywhere can literally move people into panic attack mode. Like to the point where they start sputtering and crying when they realize they will be driven out and it will all be over. It's bizzarre to me that someone would drop a grand on equpment without reallizing the woods terrify them.
    "some editing should be done in parentheses for clarity where spelling prevents reading."---matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Awol1970 View Post
    I've hiked around North GA leaving my truck on forest service roads and have shuttled easily a dozen people back to Amicalola State Park. The concept of taking a walk in the woods sounds sooooo good to some people, but the reality of being in the middle of the woods a good days walk from anywhere can literally move people into panic attack mode. Like to the point where they start sputtering and crying when they realize they will be driven out and it will all be over. It's bizzarre to me that someone would drop a grand on equpment without reallizing the woods terrify them.
    True.. Im not doing a shakedown crusie to see if I like it, I know I like it..I have new equipment that needs to be tried first AND that gives me my excuse for getting outof here..

You want to see me frightend and in panick stricken mode? drop me off in the middle of Downtown Dallas..
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

I will be planning a thru hike of the Sam Houston Lone Star Trail around the 2nd week of February. Dont have exact plans yet but if anyone would like to join me feel more than free to contact me.

Images

Well we were planning to do some shakedowns in a few TN parks in the last ten days.. Had a minor foot injury... Podiatrist said that my Achilles tendon was stressed and causing the tendons in the front of my foot to be extremely tightened.. Got a bad lack of motion in the right one... I'm in physical therapy for a couple weeks, but they say it should be just fine in plenty of time. I'm getting plenty of good advice and tips for the hike from the PT though. Looks no proper shakedown with last minute conditioning for me though :-\

Not much I can do until August. I have to save every penny for my Thru hike, but here is my plan:

There is a park close by that has this really cool facility for baseball. It has ramps stairs and I can walk around the park (2 miles) through woods. So my idea is to utilize the ramps and stairs repetitively then hike the woods then repeat the process.

August I plan another section hike then work from October to December (seasonal) then do a trip on the Grand Enchantment Trail just before my thru start in February..

At least thats the plan..Fingers Crossed..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Images

Going to stroll the Florida trail for 30 miles or so with a portion along the Suwannee river. Yes, conditioning and shakedown of new gear but also to re acquire the taste of trail food.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

We hiked up LeConte in the Smokies for New Year's Day. Never been outside in weather like that in my life - husband thought he was succumbing to hypothermia and didn't want to fall asleep for fear he'd freeze and die - but the next day dawned bright, sunny, and beautiful and we now know what we're going to differently and have a great story to tell as well.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Going out two nights this weekend around where Cleveland National Forest and Anza Borrego meet, partially on the PCT.

Got my full pack loadout set last night (pending changes from this hike, kinda the point). Weight for the AT is just shy of 40 lbs (incl 3 days food, 2L water). This weekend's loadout is more like 48lbs with an extra 4L water. Stupid desert!

++ New Posts ++