WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Swiss Army Knife ?

What would u suggest in the way of a very light--versaltile knife to carry in my backpack?
    Just looking for a very light knife with the basic utilities not one with 101 gadgets and uses.
    Thanks in advance.

Personally, I wouldn't carry a knife. I had a small Spyderco in 2000 that I carried to PA and then sent it home. There was nothing to cut. Despite being stainless, the blade had begun to rust.

litefoot 2000

For cutting food and cordage, the smallest SAK works fine. The scizzors and tweezers are handy too. Around an ounce.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

yeah funny thing about knives is you think youd need em but you really dont. for how many people carry knives and dont carry nail clippers, youd at least use the clippers 20 times as often as a knife. just go for something tiny and inexpensive so that when you get to the realization you dont need it you can just drop it in a hiker box without any buyers remorse
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Images

A single edge razor blade, cuts everything but pizza!

Images

Default Sak

"Swiss Army Knife Card"

Carried one of these. The scissors and light got used more than the blade did.

Images

I can not believe that there are those that are actually suggestions that a knife is not necessary. I believe that such a suggestion is misguided.

A knife is one of those tools you should absolutely have at hand. A knife is not carried because you will need it at every waking moment, but because at the moment you need it, it will be absolutely necessary.

I carry in my pack an old USN Camillus pocket knife.

I also recently gave one of these multi-tools to a friend -- http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-V...-30-000017.php
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

I carry a swiss everytime i go out, i use the toothpick the most and without it i would go nuts.. i hate having food stuck in my teeth!! Next most used tool on it is the scissors. I wouldn't go hiking without it. It's also nice to have a can opener for when you get a craving for spagettios or baked beans... About once a week for me.. haha

Images

tuck, i do agree in CARRYING a knife, it just happens that the times it is needed are few and far between. but like an umbrella, its better to have and not need than need and not have. I myself carried a gerber FAST knife, switchblade style. I rarely used it but whenever I stayed at a shelter close to a road or hiked alione, which was almost the whole time, I felt glad to know I was armed
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Images

for general backpacking, you do need a knife, but for the AT, I dont have any corks to unscrew, no screws to turn, no bottles or cans to open, no leather straps to punch holes in, no need for pliers, just need a sharp edge. I've seen people carring multi tools, and always wonder"Pliers?"

I am fond of my Swiss Army Tinker. It has a large and small blade, toothpick, tweezers, can opener/small screwdriver, bottle opener/large screwdriver, phillips screwdriver, and reamer/drill. Not the smallest, but not one of those monster knives either. The reamer is good for drilling holes if you need to fabricate an alcohol stove. The blades, screwdrivers, and toothpick get good use too. I have had if for many years and it is always in my pocket (not just hiking). I'm not a gram weenie so emotional attachment trumps weight on occasion. I'm the same with my hats.

Images

I carried a SAK Super-tinker on my thru-hike. I used the blade plenty cutting a block of cheese or a bagel. The scissors were especially helpful. I used the screwdriver to adjust the suspension of my pack where it joined my hip belt.

Nowadays, I go with the locking blade on the SAK Centurion. it's about 3 1/2 ounces. I have a tiny pair of EMT shears for scissors. I need the screwdriver to occasionally adjust the flicklocks on my trekking poles. My first day or two out from a town, I like to actually cook real meals, so the knife is nice for dicing an onion and so forth. I especially like the locking blade. You only have to have a non-locking blade close up on you once to say no more.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I am fond of my Swiss Army Tinker. It has a large and small blade, toothpick, tweezers, can opener/small screwdriver, bottle opener/large screwdriver, phillips screwdriver, and reamer/drill. Not the smallest, but not one of those monster knives either. The reamer is good for drilling holes if you need to fabricate an alcohol stove. The blades, screwdrivers, and toothpick get good use too. I have had if for many years and it is always in my pocket (not just hiking). I'm not a gram weenie so emotional attachment trumps weight on occasion. I'm the same with my hats.
    Same here. I use mine very often in every day life and it does come in handy hiking as well. I'd feel pretty strange taking it out of my pocket to go hiking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Swiss Army Knife

Take a Swiss Army Knife. I have a older Backpacker model. Blade to cut whatever, sisors to cut your hand and toe naile, tweasers to remove ticks and slivers, nail file, can opener, bottle opener, screwdriver, corkscrew, awl and toothpick. I never carried a pocket knife before I thru-hiked but now I carr it daily. Believe me, you will use it daily.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

So many people saying a knife is not needed? I knife is absolutely a necessary item! You do not need a huge one a small SAK for 99% of all trails is all that is needed but it is one of those basic survival items that should never be left at home.
    WalkingStick"75"

Every self-respecting man should carry a pocket knife of some sort all the time.

Like Tuck said, it's not about how much you use it, but having it when you need it. I take a similar knife to the one Tuck linked to.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

[QUOTESo many people saying a knife is not needed? I knife is absolutely a necessary item! You do not need a huge one a small SAK for 99% of all trails is all that is needed but it is one of those basic survival items that should never be left at home.][/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more it doesn't matter if I am hiking going to work or drinking at a bar my knife is always in my pocket and I feel weird without it. I personally go with a gerber knife that is about 3 or 4 inches and has a partially serrated edge.

I usually carry a SAK Classic, or my Opinel. I like the classic because the blade is darn sharp and the scissors have been handy. The Opinel is also light and a little longer than the Classic, but it's only a blade with no other uses.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Take a Swiss Army Knife. I have a older Backpacker model. Blade to cut whatever, sisors to cut your hand and toe naile, tweasers to remove ticks and slivers, nail file, can opener, bottle opener, screwdriver, corkscrew, awl and toothpick. I never carried a pocket knife before I thru-hiked but now I carr it daily. Believe me, you will use it daily.
    Im not saying never carry a knife, it just seems a little redundant on the AT,where you're never more than a few days from town.I can cut my toenails and fingernails in town, where that bottle/can opener/corkscrew would also come in useful. Above someone noted using the awl to make an alcohol stove, but from what?I do carry a Swiss Army backpacker when I'm going backpacking or bushwacking, but other than a sharp blade, a knife is about as useful as a compass. Ive carried it anyway on a few section hikes, and can never remember having to pull it out. Its just a security blanket, and if it puts you more at ease, by all means, carry it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++