WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2 pound 3 ounce 30 degree bag $40

I was at the Cabelas store in St Louis yesterday and they had the Eureka Silver City 30 degree sleeping bag on sale for $39.99...regular price is $89. I tested it out last night and was toasty warm despite the cold. A good buy for someone on a tight budget who wants to pick up a light weight bag for cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I was at the Cabelas store in St Louis yesterday and they had the Eureka Silver City 30 degree sleeping bag on sale for $39.99...regular price is $89. I tested it out last night and was toasty warm despite the cold. A good buy for someone on a tight budget who wants to pick up a light weight bag for cold weather.
    Or an affordable summer bag for those who do not live Florida etc.

Some other affordable options for 30+ degree sleeping bags are the Lafuma series-- they are generally under 2lbs and cost less than $100

I wouldn't trust that bag to 30 degrees, no how no way. That is not a cold weather bag. Won't ever trust any sleeping bag that costs less than $100 - never never never never again. Especially one that does not tell you what kind of fill is in it.

I have this bag. It is fine in the summer, down to about 40-50 degrees. Anything below 40 and I have been cold.

I recently upgraded to a Montbell UL SS #5 40 degree bag for warmer months, half the weight and will keep me more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFol View Post
    Or an affordable summer bag for those who do not live Florida etc.
    I used the bag outside St Louis where it was below 25*. I thought it was warm...but then again I carried a 50* $10 Walmart sleeping bag for 850 miles starting in February...many people can't stand the cold.

As I've said before, the sleeping bag is only one part of the equation...if you have inadequate clothing, shelter or sleeping pad you are going to be cold no matter what sleeping bag you are in. You have to put together a complete system that works for you.

I appreciate the comments from the peanut gallery by people whom have never seen or used the bag in question...I'm sure your input was helpful.

Registered User writeronthestorm's Avatar

I have a Coleman that I paid $50.00 for that keeps me warmer than a $250.0 North Face... Price isn't always a reflection quality or performance.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFol View Post
    Some other affordable options for 30+ degree sleeping bags are the Lafuma series-- they are generally under 2lbs and cost less than $100
    I picked up a Lafuma 30 a couple of years ago. It's an excellent bag. Packs small, weighs very little, and is amazingly warm. I usually find myself unzipping to cool off a little. I've been very impressed.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

++ New Posts ++