Trailplace is Wingfoot's web site. He has strict rules, as is his right on his private property. You're not the first to fall afoul of his rules. He doesn't allow for disagreement as I learned early on. I had a disagreement and got kicked off. A few months later I sent him a note saying I understand and will comply with his policies and he restored my privileges. And they are privileges.
Not permitting disagreement perhaps is one of Wingfoot's weaknesses but he surely has his strengths. He has fought for the A.T. and deeply cares about it.
IMHO, cell phones are part of being prepared. Yes, the article used several examples of how tenderfoots substitute failure-prone technology for orienteering skills but a cell phone could come in very handy if a hiker fell and broke a leg.
Tim Seaver is a very skilled and accomplished hiker. On the Views From The Top website, he recently posted a trip report of a traverse of the Presidentials. He repeatedly called a friend to report his locations, the trails he was using and when to come pick him up.
Part of that hike was along the Appalaichan Trail. Wingfoot wouldn't like it but I thought that was a sensible use of cell-phone technology.
We go into dangerous situations sometimes and those close to us hold their breaths until we return. I like the idea of being able to let them know things are going great.
As long as I don't bother someone else. Plenty of room out there so you don't have to bother others.