WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default deciding between a few bags for A.T. thru hike march '11

I need a cheap, light & synthetic bag. These are the ones I am deciding between. The Kelty Cosmic, Columbia The Zone, Eureka Casper, and Swiss Gear Crevasse. They're all 0 degrees except the Eureka Casper. I realize I won't need a 0 degree bag, but I am a very cold sleeper.

Any experience or opinions on any of these?

leaning towards the Eureka Casper

Quote Originally Posted by freemarie View Post
    I need a cheap, light & synthetic bag. These are the ones I am deciding between. The Kelty Cosmic, Columbia The Zone, Eureka Casper, and Swiss Gear Crevasse. They're all 0 degrees except the Eureka Casper. I realize I won't need a 0 degree bag, but I am a very cold sleeper.

Any experience or opinions on any of these?
    Funny thing when it comes to bags, you pretty much get what you pay for. In order to get a truely accurate temperature rated bag and have it's overall weight come in light, unfortunately a lot of the times you will not be able to get it for cheap. Best advice in my opinion would be to look for a better quality bag, although unless used you will need to pay somewhat more.

Images

Are you stuck on having a synthetic bag?
    -milkman

got soul?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

If you get any of these 0* synthetic bags you're going to have to have a mighty big pack because any of these bags will take up some serious space.

To get a 0* synthetic bag that's compressible enough to be practical to carry would cost you about as much as a good down bag with the same temp rating.

Images

Cheap and synthetic go together. Light, not so much. A zero-F synthetic would take up all the room in my pack. Not saying you shouldn't do this -- just be aware that for a thru-hike, pack weight and pack volume are critical. A zero-F down bag like the Campmor down mummy will be lighter and take up less space, and it doesn't cost all that much for something that is going to keep you alive during those 10-degree nights on the trail.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    A zero-F down bag like the Campmor down mummy will be lighter and take up less space, and it doesn't cost all that much for something that is going to keep you alive during those 10-degree nights on the trail.
    I just got this bag last week. Not bad at all for the price.

Certainly better than any of the synthetics mentioned.

I think the only reason to choose synthetic over down (except for an allergy) would be out of fear of getting the down wet which is really pretty hard to do unless you work at it. I washed both of my down bags this weekend and was reminded again of how hard it is to really soak one.

Edited to add: I just put that 0* bag in its stuffsack and it easily takes up over 1/3 of the capacity of my size large Catalyst by itself.
    Last edited by 10-K; 01-16-2011 at 16:01.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

I think the only reason to choose synthetic over down (except for an allergy) would be out of fear of getting the down wet which is really pretty hard to do unless you work at it.
    I never really thought about someone being allergic to down. I wonder if there are some people who just start wheezing and sneezing uncontrollably when they attempt to go to sleep in their new down bag for the first time.

Euereka Casper review on Trailspace: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/eureka/casper-15/

One owner rates it to 35 degrees, another rates it to 40.
    Light synthetic bags aren't warm.
    REI synthetics are tested in their own lab, so at least there's some creditability to their temperature claims.
    Check them out before you buy cheap junk.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

You get what you pay for in bags. I just got the UL super spiral montbell 15 degree and last night on an overnight hike it was 34 degrees and I was toasty. My other bag I would have been freezing all night.

The best value I have heard is the Campmor http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40067
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

This bag: http://www.rei.com/product/786815

Is more like what would actually keep you warm at its stated temperature minimum.

Five pounds and 3/4 the size of a week long hiking pack is about what you can expect in a warm synthetic bag.

The only upside I can think of to using a synthetic bag on a thruhike would be that as the weather gets warmer, the bag's temperature rating goes up to match it as the loft gets crushed out of it due to repeted packing.

Go with down unless you're allergic.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

FWIW, I have a Kelty Lightyear 25* weight is 2 lb 9 oz including stuff sack. $60. shipped. I have been down to the lower 20's w/lightweight clothes on

I began to contemplate down, and then read this feedback that fueled my indecision... I really need a bag under $100 or right at $100 if anyone knows of any down bags for this price.

Big Agnes 15* synthetic bag on S&C right now for $72.99... Regular weighs 3 lbs, 3 ozs.

I bet it would take up some serious real estate in a pack.

Only, used....

Stoic Vamp 15 Sleeping Bag - $115 (Down) On steep and cheap got to keep looking it will come around again

If you can sew at all. or know someone who can, consider making yourself a synthetic quilt. There's free patterns and instructions out there for simple quilts. I made one for this years NOBO hike and it was less than $100. I have a 0 bag that I've had for years and love in cold weather, but they're heavy and take up a lot of space which was mentioned. I've tested the quilt recently and have been plenty warm. It's 1.5 lbs with a full 2 inches of insulation and very compact. Give it a thought.....

I bought the women's Eureka Casper 15 degree bag and used it a couple of nights ago. It's a really good bag, but I'm not quite as warm as I'd like to be in it. I am thinking I am going to return it and find a down bag. I have been searching endlessly for a nicely priced, light weight down bag. Any out there under $100?

Hey guys... I don't think sitting on a rooftop drinking ram's piss is the way to

I just got the north face down 15 degree hotlumXL. REI is having an awsome sale right now and in NC in Feb. they are having their annual tent sale where you will find bags dirt cheap. I'm testing my bag out tomorrow at Linville Gorge NC. Wish me luck!!

Images

Default Stoic 15*

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    Stoic Vamp 15 Sleeping Bag - $115 (Down) On steep and cheap got to keep looking it will come around again
    I bagged (can't help the pun) this deal on S&C this past week and it arrived yesterday. The deal has been on S&C twice since Monday, expect it will be around again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++