WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Best of luck to all doing the CT.

It's a great way to see CO.

Take some alternates it you can, climb some 14ers if you have the time...and have a blast!

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Best of luck to all doing the CT.

It's a great way to see CO.

Take some alternates it you can, climb some 14ers if you have the time...and have a blast!

You should hike the trail with me and be my personal tour guide!

No one has signed the CT virtual trail register for 2011. You may also want to take a virtual hike using the CT google map with mileages and elevations.

-postholer

Default Yep!

Three or four of us will be doing the southern half from Durango up to Section 16 beginning July 1st. I have only 18 days to do those 210 miles and I hope that's enough,

One day will be a resupply/car shuttle/rest day. Been getting in shape for this by hiking and skiing at 7,000 to 10,000 ft. just outside of 'Vegas in the Spring Mountains.

Default Southern Half

A few of us will begin the southern half July 1st and finidh at the end of Section 16. I have no interest inteh northern half. Maybe it needs re-routing further west. Just sayin'....

(Yes, as a former professional trailbuilder on the PCT in '80 I know how difficult that would be.)

Add one more to the list. I plan on flying to Denver on June 27th and heading out from there. Can't wait to get back on the trail.

Woot! I'll be heading out there mid-late June, heading towards Durango.

Images

I'm all set for a Westbound thru starting the end of June.

Default count me in

count me in westbound...end of June after Telluride Bluegrass & the Panic run @ Red Rocks...got to get my festivating in before hiking!

I too am contemplating a CT westbound hike, starting July 1st. It will be my first long distance hike if I do nothing before then. Doing it as a shake down for the AT in 2012.

Just trying to figure the logistics of how I want to get to Denver and what I'm going to do about getting home afterwards.

Trail Ryder - once you get to Durango, it's pretty easy to get anywhere. Frontier flies out of Durango and it's not too expensive to get to Denver and then beyond.

A ticket from Durango to Denver only should run about $90.

If you add it to the leg of a flight from Durango to Denver to Texas, it'll probably only add $30-50 to the cost of the ticket if it was just Denver to Texas (if that makes sense).

I believe you can also do greyhound in the summer from Durango to...well...anywhere. I want to say the Durango to Denver bus ride will run you about $60, but you'll have to wait to see if they have that route available this summer.

Hope that helps

-Slot Machine

The greyhound bus leaves for Denver everyday early in the morning. I took it back to Denver last fall. An advanced payment can help knock off at least 50% of the over counter fare. But one's arrival timing has to be calculated, or pays a fee for changing the departing date. I changed it, but didn't pay the fee!

Scratch me off the list for this year, too busy with work (which really isn't a complaint) so I'm setting my sights on 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Man View Post
    The greyhound bus leaves for Denver everyday early in the morning. I took it back to Denver last fall. An advanced payment can help knock off at least 50% of the over counter fare. But one's arrival timing has to be calculated, or pays a fee for changing the departing date. I changed it, but didn't pay the fee!
    I feel like I've been researching transportation logistics nonstop lately. My plan is to fly into Denver. I friend of a friend is helping me out by playing taxi for me to the trailhead. I'm hoping toward the end I will have an pretty good idea on when I'll end so I can get the bus ticket taken care of in advance like you mentioned.

One question to those of you who have used this system and then flew back out of Denver: How did you get back to the airport from the greyhound station? I've noticed a public transportation route that runs out that way...is it pretty straight forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    I feel like I've been researching transportation logistics nonstop lately. My plan is to fly into Denver. I friend of a friend is helping me out by playing taxi for me to the trailhead. I'm hoping toward the end I will have an pretty good idea on when I'll end so I can get the bus ticket taken care of in advance like you mentioned.

One question to those of you who have used this system and then flew back out of Denver: How did you get back to the airport from the greyhound station? I've noticed a public transportation route that runs out that way...is it pretty straight forward?
    I think you need to book the return ticket at least three weeks ahead to have the discount. I bought it at Breckenridge. Even you face the penalty for changing the departing date at Durango, it is still cheaper than a full over-counter bus fare. I'd think it's only a few dollars if I ever paid for that.

The bus leaves the city around 6 AM. Take your time in the town before the Hometown Hostel at far back hill of the city is open at 3 PM. The bus arrives at Denver at evening. It only takes 15 minutes to walk to the Union Station. I don't know how to get to the airport from the city.

If things goes the way it is, I should be on around the end of June. If things change before hand, then it will be another section on the AT. Either way I am hitting the trails this year..
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Default July 1st - southern 1/2 only

Four of us plan to begin July 1st for the southern half. We may not hit the trail until July 3rd to give us time to aclimatize first. (And find the best beer gardens in Durango.

Going north means we'll run into a lot more folks B/C most go north to south. See you there?

Eric

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

The main RTD station is not far from the Greyhound station.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...9&ie=UTF8&z=17

From there, take the local RTD bus to the airport via one of the many Ax airport bus routes (AF, AB, etc.)
    ex:

http://www3.rtd-denver.com/tripplann...&pPreference=2

Hope that helps!

Finally, my planning doc may help, too:
    http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I just recently moved out here to Colorado from Wisconin and my girl friend and I have a few days off coming up. I heard I can hike the western part of the State right now. Anywhere on the CT that is good for hiking/camping without snow gear?

Quote Originally Posted by rastayogi View Post
    I just recently moved out here to Colorado from Wisconin and my girl friend and I have a few days off coming up. I heard I can hike the western part of the State right now. Anywhere on the CT that is good for hiking/camping without snow gear?

Perhaps the Lost Creek Wilderness would fit the bill for you. There are a few loop hikes near the CT there.

Nice thread jack!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++