WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

hansome, rich, intelligent, cancer survivor Crazy_Al's Avatar

Default hiking time based elevation and distance

What is a good estimator to predict hiking time based on elevation change and distance ????

I have estimate 1.75 miles per hour for me, irregardless of elevation change.
    I need to incorporate an elevation factor when going over Blood Mountain.
    Crazy Al

Images

regardless of my speed to distance and elevation,i average about 12 hours a day or night hiking on the AT. NEO

It really is an individual thing. I average 2 mph with a pack on, except on really easy trail when it gets pushed up to 2.5. I do as well on the uphill as on the down, sometimes better. On the AT, the issue is less elevation gain than tread. If the trail is rocky or rooty, I slow down, especially on the downhill. In New England, where you have serious rock scrambling, I am doing well to go 1 mph. On the PCT it was easy to go 2-3 mph because the trail was so well graded. We could climb 4000' and never start breathing hard.

Default 1 hour/1000 feet

For someone not in great shape and of average hiking ability... I'd figure 2 miles per hour plus another hour for every 1000 feet gained. This formula seems to work for my Dad who meets the above criteria.

When we hiked SOBO from Walasi Yi, (I think that is the base of Blood???) it took us less than anhour to climb to the top.

Hope that helps
    Grimace ME->GA '01
    JMT '03

Images

I have read the average person does 1.5 miles per hour, and to add another 30 minutes to you estimate for every 1000ft elevation change. Sorry, I can't recall where I read that. We started out one the first day and did 20 miles. I would not recommend necessarily doing that because it really took a lot out of me. 12-15 miles a day is a good number if you stop for a few breaks; least it is for me. Some people bag 20+ mile days back to back.

You'll find the trail much easier if you forget about time. When you get there, you get there. When the sun is up you walk, when it goes down you stop. Unless you night hike, then even that is irrelevant.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    You'll find the trail much easier if you forget about time.
    It took me a few trips before I realized this to be the case. Miles come quite a bit easier if you are not counting every quarter mile.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Default Book time

So that there is a "standard," the formula used by Green Mountain Club and AMC in their guidebooks is 2 miles per hour plus 1/2 hour for each 1000 feet of climb. Obviously, individual hiking times are different. However, with I pack, I have found this formula to be pretty good.

Default AMC's formula

I agree. I have learned that I am pretty much right on what the AMC estimates in their guidebooks. I don't try to match the time but that's the way it works out.

I am glad. It works well for planning.

pcm
    "If I get started in the right direction, I just might get to where I want to go." -- Tab Benoit

Images

Peaks formula is about right for how I hike as well.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

You'll find the trail much easier if you forget about time. When you get there, you get there.
    Well said.

Images

Unless I'm on technical terrain, or really, really long and steep stuff, I average about 3 mph while hauing a pack, a little more if I'm out dayhiking. By steep and long, I mean a grade of at least 1000 ft per mile, and at least 2500 feet of vertical. By technical I mean having to look for hand or foot holds (the parts of the Whites I've hiked qualify).

Rather than miles per hour, it is better to think about miles per day. Even better, miles per week. If you are just starting out or are hauling a lot, a reasonable estimate is 10 miles per day to start, 60 miles per week (take a day off). Later (after a month or two), 15 miles a day or 100 miles per week (part of a day off) is reasonable. If you are fit, experienced, and not hauling a lot, 20 miles a day on the AT is reasonable, with 140 a week perfectly doable, even with some time off. 200 a week takes a little more drive.

In preparation for my thru-hike I looked up someone about my age and build (Blaze '02) on Trailjournals. After reading his comments regarding the terrain and mileage for a particular section it gave me an idea of what I should be able to do. In fact, I made an excel spreadsheet based on his hike that I referenced as much as I did the guide book. It also helped me decide on stops and where to stay.

Having said that, in the fall of '03 and this year when I went back "just to hike" it was more leisurely...and as Blue Jay says, "just to get there when you get there."

Default Hiking speed (?)

Well I wouldn't worry in the least about how fast to hike. When we (the Grayhounds) hiked it in '03, we decided early on that the slowest in our bunch would set the pace. Too many times I saw a fast/strong hiker pulling along his/her companion way faster than the second one could go. Result? injury and breaking down. We started out doing 8.5 mile days and were exhausted, but finished averaging 13.5 and practically dancing along. You will, if you take it easy at the start, hike yourself into shape. We had a fellow pass us at Laurel Creek Falls doing 20's. we met him again in the 100 mile wilderness. He couldn't believe we caught him. He had to take lots of days off to recover, he suffered at least 3 injuries that took him off the trail for as much as 2 weeks. We were "slow" but steady.
    One of our goals was 10 by 12. That is 10 miles by noon and we always were on the trail by 7. We might have made that only 5 or 6 times on the whole hike. Two miles per hour is really moving it with a pack on your back.
    We also took advantage of any slack packing opportunities we could. They are a real life saver. With a bit of help,and some ingenuity, we did the Whites without a pack and it felt like zero days. We passed some of the people we had hiked with and they were beat up. It then left us strong for the wilds of Maine.
    We actually thought 180 days would do it and finished in 161 days.
    Best of luck and keep planning that is more than paid back with the knowledge that you will have before you start, but remain flexible. One thing you will learn on ther trail is patience.
    Gimp

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker
    On the AT, the issue is less elevation gain than tread.
    I'm with Spirit Walker, the condition of the treadway is the single biggest factor that influences my hiking speed, followed by my level of conditioning and then sustained grade of ascent.

I found Georgia to be remarkably tame compared to the Mid-Atlantic states, since there were few truly steep ascents or descents, I was in pretty good condition starting out, and the treadway was remarkably smooth (except for the mile or so before Blue Mountain Shelter that insisted on slabbing the mountainside over broken rock falls...grrrr).

Of course, everyone walks at a different pace, and their "natural" pace is impacted by the factors above plus weather, nutrition and hydration. 2 mph is pretty typical for most people, but there's a lot of variation.

I believe that it's important to have a sense of your hiking pace so you don't get caught in the dark (most hikers would have a difficult time setting up camp in the dark) and you have a sense for when you should be looking out for the side trail you need to take. Of course, even if you're off by half a mile an hour, you're still only talking about 10 minutes or so.

I strongly encourage people to start out slower and with low-mileage days (even if you're young and in great shape, grrickar). Your muscles can handle the abuse, but your joints, tendons and ligaments are much more likely to give you problems. If you do have to hike a long day early on, then at least consider taking several extended breaks throughout the day in order to give your body a little rest, and keep well hydrated.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

++ New Posts ++