WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: night hiking

Images

Default night hiking

just curious on how many hikers hike at night.i average between 20 to 25 miles a day on the AT,so if it stop a lot,some time i hike several hours into the night,i just dont hike at night in the rain and fog neo

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Night Hiking ...

Been years since I've done any serious night hiking but one thing to keep in mind ...the bears are active at night and they DO use the trails.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

i was worried more about the boars in the smokeys than the bears neo

Images

If I go night hiking, then it usually an outing just for that, and then I don't plan a lot of miles, just a nice hike to enjoy some night experiences.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

While living near Franklin, NC, and doing day hikes I would see a lot places where the boar were active. It is something to be concerned about.

I night hiked once, it really messed up my sleep schedule for a few days. Also people sleeping in shelters or camped along the trail really don't a appreciate people coming in and bothering the whle their sleeping, I know the few times people in after dark I was not a very nice person. I am just glad I did go by anyone sleeping when I did my night hike.

Images

I have done a few extra miles at night to make it to a certain destination. WE hiked with headlamps to reach the Fontana Hilton a day early, and started out from Derrick's Knob under headlamp before dawn, and ended up hiking under headlamp getting to the dam. Maybe a couple extra miles here and there, but the last long night hike I did was in Scouts.

I night hike a lot.
    I enjoy it.
    I enjoy the adrenaline rush of hearing something Large move off to your right or left.

It can be scary as hell for certian, and I will never night hike in the Smokys again..well I say that now...
    tow seperate incidents in the same night.

I was hiking with Wyldchild, Animal, Drifter and a couple of others in 2002...we were on the way to the Helicopter platform to watch the sun come up...actually they were there, I was night hiking to catch up...as my headlamp hit the trail, I could see the boot prints in the mud...then out of nowhere...large Cat tracks on top of the boot tracks for a good two hundred yards...then they vanished off to the right into the woods...that made me nervous.

I walked about 1/4 mile and heard a growl of some sort, three times within 5 minutes...maybe a bear walking beside me, I dont know..but I did one of those "GET SOME MOTHA" F&%^$ER!!!!!!!!!!" and waved my sticks in the air like a mad man.

Then about an hour later, while having abreak I was laughing at the whole thing...I begin to walk again in the dark..I hear wierd noises, rustlings all kinds of stuff, and right in front of me...liek fifty yards..little shadows bounced across thetrail...followed by one large snorting shadow.

Boars...Mom and babies...I was very nervous then...I sat there for a while waitng and looking for a tree to shimmy if neccasary...didnt hear them for about 10 minutes...but my heart was pounding so loud Im sure everyone with a mile could hear it.

The rest of the night went great, and I have had no oterh instances of that sourt of thing anywhere..well...Maine once with a Moose, but no other times...it is a rush for sure.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Night Hiking

I do a night hike about once a month. Typically will hike on or near a full moon. Seeing the foothills bathed in the silvery light, the occasional fox and a chance to stretch out my legs in a relaxed, fun environment. Full moon snowshoes are esp. fun.

Doing a group night hike tonight. Here's the description to give you an idea of my focus for these hikes:

"The Chrismahanukwanzakah season is just about over. A season
    of good cheer, good friends and many calories. Maybe you had a little
    too much sour cream with your latkes. Perhaps that extra slice of
    eggplant lasagna you had at a certain e-mail gnomes' house is still
    with you. Or had just a tad too much eggnog? Then time to burn some
    calories! We will be doing a hike in the silverly light of the almost
    full moon. A casual stroll heading towards Enchanted Mesa that will be
    about 2 hrs R/T. A great way to relax, unwind and (maybe) burn off the
    slice of Double Chocolate Sinfully Delicious _Mocha Surprise. Bring a
    headlamp and some warm clothes."

As you can see a fun, social outing that happens totake place at night. Good stuff!

Default Night Hiking

Did my first night hike back in October on a section hike from the Appalachian Trail Station in NY heading for VT just above Williamstown MA. Got off the bus (train temporarily does not stop at station) and got started at exactly 10:02am. My destination was Schaghticoke Mtn Camp Site on the first day. I was a bit short when night closed in on me. I normally have a very good since of direction in the woods but found at night, it went with the light. The trail was not marked as well as it should have been. The blazes were old and were not the square crisp ones that we all prefer. I found that my LED light made the green moss that grows on trees and rocks appear white. I would wonder off the trail, realize it, and back track. My compass was of no use as a bearing North quickly turned to South on switch backs. I finally said enough, and pitched my hammock to spend the night somewhere short of my goal. At dawn everything was clear and I found I had camped about a ˝ mile from my destination. I don't think I will try night hiking again.

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

regardless of my speed to distance and elevation,i average about 12 hours a day or night hiking on the AT. NEO
    just curious on how many hikers hike at night.i average between 20 to 25 miles a day on the AT,so if it stop a lot,some time i hike several hours into the night,i just dont hike at night in the rain and fog neo
    Make up our minds, is it 12 or 20 to 25?

Couldn't resist givin you a little crap, considering all of your "Trail Princess" threads. I'm sure if you get out and on the trail you're more likely to find one, like I did, than spamming the boards and annoying your fellow hikers. Good luck none the less!
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

Images

12 hours a day,that means,i spend 12 hours on my feet,that includes stops
    but during that 12 hours,i hike 20 to 25 miles on average,i spend more time stealth camping or staying at shelters when not crowed,i like meeting other hikers,just cant handle large crowds

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

Default Doh!

Yup, in my rush to give you a ration, I misread. Thoug I stand by my suggestion to look more on trail and less here for your Princess!
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

Default Night hiking

From what I surmize from talking with others on the trail, and staying at shelters, it seems that most people do some night hiking. There has been many a time when someone stumbles into a shelter after dark and wakes everyone else up. I don't know of any statistic to say how many night hike, or how many miles at night.

People hike at night because they push to get into town, or to a particular shelter or location, or to do the long day, like the MD challenge, or be on top of a mountain (Katahdin) at sunrise. Some night hike to avoid the heat and humidity during the day. For others, it's just a change from day hiking.

Default I've night hiked one time halfway recently...

I had hiked from Amicalola to the Black Gap shelter one mild day last summer, and it was still relatively early. Noone else had showed up to make it a social occasion, and (this was in my recent poverty phase), my sleeping gear was on the minimal side. I had two working flashlights with extra batteries, and sufficient food and water. I said what the hey, let's see what night hiking here is like, and headed back.

It was pleasantly cooler (and the heat had not been bad during the day as it was). Avoiding rocks and roots was harder, so the bottoms of my feet and ankles took more of a beating. Holding a flashlight with one hand and my walking stick with the other meant that no hand was ever getting a complete break while I was still making headway. I would have enjoyed having a decent headlamp along, definitely.

There were far fewer spider webs across the Trail than I would have expected; perhaps the AT's spiders don't spin webs in darkness much?

I did pass a couple of small occupied camps within 30 yards of the Trail, and had a flashlight shone on me for a few seconds from one. No words were exchanged. Night hiking is perhaps less social just from it being nighttime (where people tend to be more psychologically insular), and not just from fewer hikers out on the Trail. I saw no animals, and heard little beyond crickets chirping and the like.

If it were terribly hot, the hours of daylight were shorter than the # of hours I could hike in a day, or if I had an unusually high need to make miles right then, I might hike at night again. As I could see very little of the beauty of the Trail, I don't think I would want to do it routinely.

Images

i really enjoy night hiking,some of steepest decsent at night,angels rest into pearisburg va,coming into port clinton pa,bear mountain new york,i really love the trail both day and night neo

my buddy, shoeless jon, and i night hiked from max patch almost to hot springs once. we never used headlamps. it was incredible. read about it here
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Images

A good night haike is always accomplished without a headlamp so you can really enjoy it. IMHO anything else is just making miles in the dark.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Sans Headlamp

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    A good night haike is always accomplished without a headlamp so you can really enjoy it. IMHO anything else is just making miles in the dark.
    I agree! Just got back from a night time stroll. With the almost full moon reflecting on the patches of snow, it was gorgeous. The foothills were almost glowing in the moonlight. Did not use my headlamp once tonight.

Nest month hope to do a full moon snowshoe. The next full moon is Jan 25th if anyone is curious.

I remember my first backpack at night. It was early October in Vermont on Columbus Day Weekend. I can't remember the shelter I camped at but walking on the AT in the crisp fall air, hearing the leaves rustle and seeing the stars and moonlight was just magical.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Default Needs vs. Wants, again

Sometimes you night-hike because you NEED to (the daylight just runs out before you get to your destination or rendezvous), and sometimes you night-hike because you WANT to.

I night-hike regularly in places I'm very familiar with like certain parts of SNP, and the A.T. or side trails between Dickey Gap and Damascus. The brighter the moon the more magical and enjoyable, but if it's really foggy it can be easy to miss landmarks, trail intersections, etc. you've eyeballed scores of times before.

I had no choice but to night-hike twice last year in Maine--both times descending precariously infamous rockpiles (I'd never been on before) in rain and fog. No thanks!

I hated night hiking at first. Hiking so late in the year necessitated some night hiking, though; there just weren't enough daylight hours. With a strong moon, good electric light, and reasonable terrain, I ended up enjoying it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++