WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile July SOBO mother-daughter team

Hello Board! My name is Dawn and I have been a lurker for months, every since this urge to hike the A.T. set in and took over. I have to say I have learned so much from just reading all the amazing information on this site but I have also piled in every book I could gt my hands on to get as much information as possible to make sure that I could indeed do this thing. I am happy to proclaim aloud here, that SOBO in July '11 will be when I begin my journey home to GA!

A little about me: I'm a wife and a mom, but I'm also an avid gardener, voracious reader, inspired writer, and an outdoorswoman. I am a southern gal; a 'Dixie darlin' who hunts, fishes, rides horses & atvs, kayaks, camps and hikes. I can shoot a gun (and do it well), but would rather shoot my camera. I care about our green spaces, our waters, our planet. The earth is my mother, and I love her dearly. I can also dress up okay, too, and I'm always a lady...even after a good, long, sweaty, stinky hike.

About my hike: I will be hiking with my youngest child, my 10 yr old (hike time 11 but acts like she's 52) daughter. I am a cancer survivor and maybe my outlook on life has changed, but I feel like the time is now. Soon she will be a teen and times will be different. This is our time. It is my time to plant in her the belief that she can tackle anything set in front of her, because she tackled the A.T. and succeeded. (No negativity allowed. We begin this with the faith that we will complete this.)

I'm excited to get to know more of you and pick your brains for any advice or information I haven't gotten yet.

Holy cow, I just made my first official A.T. thread. I'm just a wee bit giddy.

Good luck to you, I hope to be heading SOBO in the next couple years

Default What's That Flower You Have On?

Welcome to WB, Delta-Dawn.
    Roland

Journal Entries
    Images

Welcome!! I look forward to hearing more of your Adventure. Will you be journaling? If so on trailjournals? I'd love to follow along!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Good luck to you and your daughter. Be prepared to learn a lot you never knew about her. It should be a rewarding experience if you have an open mind about it.

My mom and I took an autobiography class together and both focused on a time frame when I was a kid. She had no idea about a lot of the crap I pulled and got away with (like blaming my brother for stealing twenty dollars from her purse, then buying as many gummy snacks as I could with it at the school snack shack for two week).

Are you keeping a journal? The dynamic of mother and young daughter would make it very different and interesting, imo

What's that flower you have on? Could it be a faded rose from days gone by???
    "some editing should be done in parentheses for clarity where spelling prevents reading."---matthewski

Hope to meet you out there...you have so much positive attitude...remember 10% effort, 90% mind. Don't ever give up on those thoughts and you should do fine. Good luck!

geek
    PS. I wish my daughter had gone with me.

Hello! Thanks for such a warm (and quick) welcome! Yes, it is a faded rose from days gone by.

I will be journaling, and while I don't have a TrailJournal set up yet, I do have a blog (that hasn't been updated in a month-ACK!) but that I will post to often as things progress and then during the hike. Katie will be journaling as well and making notes of her own. While I had been working on a book about surviving life, the South, dysfunctional families and cancer and being happy anyway, it has turned into something bigger: all that plus a surviving the A.T. with my child book series. lol Katie will be working on her own "Hiking the A.T. for Kids, by a Kid" book. As we go along and get closer to the dates, I will be sure to share the links so anyone interested can follow along.
    "Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
    - Frank Scully

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    ...remember 10% effort, 90% mind. Don't ever give up on those thoughts and you should do fine.
    Poetic
    Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    Hope to meet you out there...you have so much positive attitude...remember 10% effort, 90% mind. Don't ever give up on those thoughts and you should do fine. Good luck!

geek
    PS. I wish my daughter had gone with me.
    Jim, I believe that so much! I have had ovarian cancer 3 times (it likes to spread). During that time, I had to realize that my thoughts are far more powerful than I gave them credit for. If I was going to kick cancer in the arse, I had to BELIEVE it. I believe that I can overcome anything, and that is what I want to be teaching her as well.

Hope to meet you too!
    - Frank Scully

Images

I went SOBO in 2009 and hiked home to Georgia. It does give an extra psychological boost to know that the journey will end in your home state.

I came across a mother/daughter pair heading north when I was in Stratton, ME. They were nearing the end of their hike and it was a delight to see them out there together. What treasured memories they now share.

I believe the youngest thru hiker of record was six, so eleven should be no problem.

To quote you from above "We begin this with the faith that we will complete this." That's the key right there. Remove the word "attempt" from your vocabulary and determine before you start that you will finish.

All the best to you.

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    I went SOBO in 2009 and hiked home to Georgia. It does give an extra psychological boost to know that the journey will end in your home state.

To quote you from above "We begin this with the faith that we will complete this." That's the key right there. Remove the word "attempt" from your vocabulary and determine before you start that you will finish.

All the best to you.
    Thanks so much! I also thought the same, that to walk home would be more important to us than walking away from it. I'm glad to see that it does indeed give the much needed boost.

'Attempt' has been banished.
    - Frank Scully

Maybe you could call your book"Being happy anyway." I like that! It is something everybody must do in some way. Best wishes for you and your lucky daughter.

One of the coolest things that will come of this I believe is how you look at your daughter and her abilities when you both complete this. When she graduates from high school and she says to you " Well I'm off to the Mexican border to take a quick jaunt to the canadian border", or "Plane leaves Monday to Europe and all I'm taking is a pack that I can carry on and the knowledge of how to make a stove from the crap in any dumpster, I'll be back in 12 weeks or so", or "I'm off to Australia for an indeterminite amount of time." You can say "Ok honey! Don't forget to write!" with confidence and ease.

And that right there is an awesome thing.
    "some editing should be done in parentheses for clarity where spelling prevents reading."---matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Awol1970 View Post
    One of the coolest things that will come of this I believe is how you look at your daughter and her abilities when you both complete this. When she graduates from high school and she says to you " Well I'm off to the Mexican border to take a quick jaunt to the canadian border", or "Plane leaves Monday to Europe and all I'm taking is a pack that I can carry on and the knowledge of how to make a stove from the crap in any dumpster, I'll be back in 12 weeks or so", or "I'm off to Australia for an indeterminite amount of time." You can say "Ok honey! Don't forget to write!" with confidence and ease.

And that right there is an awesome thing.
    AWOL, you kinda choked me up there. lol But yeah, I can totally see that happening some day.

Two Tents, I like that!

Thanks, John!
    - Frank Scully

Welcome, hope to see you out there somewhere. I section hike and will be doing about a week in Oct. somewhere on the trail

Images

Good luck, my daughter and fiance thru hiked SOBO in 09. Hope to meet you on the trail, if not when in MA let me know how I can help.

Good luck!
    HAVE FUN

Mother-daughter team sounds great! I'll also be going SOBO in June. Hope to see you out there

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++