WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Can someone recommended a "go to" pair of hiking....

pants that perhaps can be the sole pair of pants for a three week JMT hike?

I've questioned whether being out for three weeks that I can get by on one pair of pants. Clearly, I'll have either a wool long johns for night or opt to use a pair of rain pants and have my regular pants as a base...still torn on this one.

Not sure what others do, as whether hikers take two pair of pants for such a long trek...but, I am sure it is highly individual preference.

In either case, I am looking for durable and lightweight...

THANKS

I like Mountain Hardwear Mesa convertible pants.

Images

I've had the same pair of REI Mistral soft shell pants for 10 years or so of beating them senseless, and they are still going strong. The fabric is light, not the heavier softshell version like the Acme pant. Very stretchy and breathable, comfortable for hiking and traveling. I almost always wear shorts while hiking, but I've worn these in the winter for hiking and snowshoeing, and they've performed very well.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Any nylon hiking pant will work great. The Sierra Nevada in spring or summer means even if you wade a deep creek with them, the pants will be dry within the hour. I would take a pair of REI Saharas or my Mountain Hardware nylon zipoffs and go for two - three weeks, no sweat. In warmer weather they will even dry out while you are hiking in rain pants.

Not that I take rain pants. Those are for cold weather, aka mid-late fall, and very early spring. I take a rain jacket and emergency poncho for summer/spring. If there's a drop in temps and it gets cold during the day, hiking will keep you warm, and when you stop for the night you can put your pants on over the base layer bottoms.

I like my eddie bauer Travex pants, durable and awesome in all categories. 100%nylon, water repelent to some extent, great fit, convertible, and the moisture wicking waistband is sweet. Got it on sale for $29! But it's welll worth the 60 they are asking for it.

Little by little, one travels far. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Whatever's on sale and made of nylon. Fit is important, too. I try to find zip off leg pants on sale. I just wore out the crotch of a realtree nylon zip off pair after several years of heavier than normal hiking. I think that I got them for $17.95 at Sierra Trading Post.
    Look there and see what they have.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I wear Nike running tights.

For hiking in cooler weather (not convertable), these are the most comfortable pants I've ever had:
    http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/pr...CENT&viewAll=y

I also have these, the next best thing, and a lot cheaper:
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...791769.2806387

Both of those are light, stretchy fabric. They will shed light rain, and are wind resistant. Even after fording streams, they dry immediately. I wear a base layer under them in cold weather and have been very happy with them. I've even used them for X-C skiing and they're great. They are thin, 4-way stretch type fabric, not insulated. Light enough to wear in warmer temps too (the First Ascent pants come in an insulated version also).

Default .511 brand

I have 2 pair of .511 brans nylon "canvas" pants that are heavier than the light REI Sahara pants and 2X as heavy.

BUT, these pants have a double seat and double knees. They are the FBI-designed tactical pants. They also come in 100% cotton. (yuk!)

.511 charges $50. and the pants are built at least as well as RailRiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
    I like Mountain Hardwear Mesa convertible pants.
    I like them too.

I have Bass Pro Shops Hybrid Pants/Shorts. Years ago they called them pants in a bag. They are like the REI Sahara pants, but they are water repellent and UV resistant. I can get them in light rain, and they stay completely dry.

I have 5.11 tacticals... would never wear them for the JMT. They are great for low elevation bushwacking, stand up to manzanita and buck brush and hardly look worse for the wear. Would be overkill for trail walking.

I have a couple pair of regular nylon zipoffs that have been going on trips of all lengths with me for a couple of years... a few weeks on the JMT is not terrifically hard on any clothing, particularly if you are not given to scooting around on your bum across granite.

+1 for the Mesa Convertibles!

Images

convertibles are definitely a good idea for a one pair approach, i used columbia omni dry convertables. however after trying out champions duo dry "training" pants (i believe a Target exclusive, i wouldve went with them for 15 dollars a pair. i fell in love with these ultralights which breathe well enough that they deem converting to shorts not worth the effort
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

I wore a pair of Exofficio amphi pants on my thru. They are still in great shape and I still hike in them. Incredibly light as well.

++ New Posts ++