WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Port Clinton to the Pulpit

Just checking on how much snow is on the trail between Port Clinton and the Pulpit. My 2 young hikers want to go hiking

Images

I was up to the Windsor Furnace Shelter on Saturday doing my annual inspection - it looked like about 4 - 5 inches. Not quite enough for snowshoes yet, but certainly enough for gaiters and Yak-Traks.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

shelterbuilder, are you bmecc? do you careake windsor furnace shelter? do you know the hamburg watershed area well? stephani springs? im feeling a sick jelosy comming over me. you tred on matthewskis home feild sir! lol. do you know the raspberrie patch on the stones of the old furnace? ever see jets fly low into the shelter area on manuvers?
    what chew got hikah? tell me a story about windsor furnace. when the slag was 6 feet deep.lol.
    matthewski

Images

I've hiked up the hill at Port Clinton going N in the snow, and it's been pretty slippery in the snow/ice, that was a couple of years ago though. This recent snow shouldn't be that bad but I'm not sure how deep it is right now.

not to steal your thread, but I've been to the Pinnacle and I've been around Port Clinton about a billion times, any suggestions, fellow PA folks, on a decent little day hike around the area that wouldn't be too bad in the snow?

Thanks, and have fun Bert!

Images

Default State Game Lands 280

http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/sb/bm_guide.htm

One of my favorite places for a winter circuit hike near Leesport is SGL 280 in Lower Heidelberg. Start at the Highland Road trailhead with a Blue Marsh Lake map available at the visitor's center.

Many of my recent best experiences have occurred there. The distant views of Kittatinny Ridge, Cushion Peak, Eagle's Peak and Mt. Penn add to the diversity of vegetation and opportunities to observe wildlife.

Go late in the day when no one else is around. Stay for the sunset.
    Last edited by emerald; 01-17-2011 at 15:11.

Images

Default Kittatinny Ridge as seen from Mt. Penn

You would also no doubt enjoy picking out various points along Kittatinny Ridge from the top of William Penn Memorial Firetower. It's open only occasionally, but much of the same may be seen from Reading's Pagoda.
    Last edited by emerald; 01-17-2011 at 22:51.

Images

Default Bartram Trail

I'd like to suggest an out-and-back on the Bartram Trail which would offer better footing with snow on the ground. If you have not already taken your children to Cabela's, it would be a good add-on.

You may not have seen the Reading Eagle article on Pennsylvania's last panther. There is a great deal of history in northern Berks County to be called to their attention including among other things Hawk Mountain Sanctuary.
    Last edited by emerald; 01-17-2011 at 22:52.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    shelterbuilder, are you bmecc? do you careake windsor furnace shelter? do you know the hamburg watershed area well? stephani springs? im feeling a sick jelosy comming over me. you tred on matthewskis home feild sir! lol. do you know the raspberrie patch on the stones of the old furnace? ever see jets fly low into the shelter area on manuvers?
    what chew got hikah? tell me a story about windsor furnace. when the slag was 6 feet deep.lol.
    Yes, I'm BMECC's shelters chairman, so I oversee the individual shelter caretakers. Stephanie Spring!!! I took my Mom there for an overnight once MANY years ago, so she could see for herself that I was in no mortal danger out in the woods by myself! A circle-hike, I think, from Port Clinton through the Furnace area, up and across the Pulpit and the Pinnacle areas...and back to Port Clinton the next day using the "other" ridge trail back to the fire tower and down the OLD fire tower road. Hey, I think that I have a piece of slag upstairs in my pack room....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

++ New Posts ++