WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hubba users

Default Hubba users

OK Noob question. The Hubba seems like an awesome little tent. But if somebody has done an extended period with one, I need help with a practical question. What did you do with your pack at night? The tent is too small, so am I just underestimating the rainfly?

Anything wet can stay in the vestibule, I usually bring my pack in the tent with me. It's mostly empty at that point and I sleep with it under my feet.

Images

I kept my pack out in front of the door under the rain fly.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Stuck my pack out under the fly most nights, and some nights I used it to prop up my feet. I found the tent quite roomy.

Pack fits in the little vestibule, usually at night you have a bunch of stuff out of your pack, such as your food bag (hung?) and your sleeping clothes (on?) and you can also use it to prop up your feet under your pad/bag, so there's plenty of room. The Hubba is a great tent! Don't like where you set it up or have a root you missed under the floor..., pick it up with one hand at the top and move it, super easy. hope this helps
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by lamarr View Post
    OK Noob question. The Hubba seems like an awesome little tent. But if somebody has done an extended period with one, I need help with a practical question. What did you do with your pack at night? The tent is too small, so am I just underestimating the rainfly?
    Loved my Hubba hiked the AT last year and tented a lot. My pack fitted down the end of my thermarest and I could rest my feet on it and a bit of elevation for your poor tired feet at night is great. Plenty of room.

Images

I'm 4'10" and hubby is 6'0" - our packs fit in our Hubbas with us with no problem. We place them sideways at our feet. We've used BA Air Core mats and Neo Air mats - always had enough room with either.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I tucked mine under the vestibule.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Thanks folks! I ended up setting it up in the living room just to satisfy myself that the pack would fit in the vestibule! The doubt had crept into the back of my mind and I just wasn't going to sleep! I hadn't even considered elevating my feet at night. I am so ready for the snow to be gone so the real shakedowns can begin!

Default Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I'm 4'10" and hubby is 6'0" - our packs fit in our Hubbas with us with no problem. We place them sideways at our feet. We've used BA Air Core mats and Neo Air mats - always had enough room with either.
    A special thanks! I will be using a Neo and am about 5'10"........ now I can rest easy!

I line my backpack with a trash compactor bag instead of a pack cover. At night, you can either put the backpack inside the trash bag and leave it out in the rain or put the backpack under your feet in the tent.

A trash compactor bag will stand up to this? I'd heard the were the way to go for a liner but I never imagined they'd stand up to direct exposure.

Whats over the next hill? Pioneer Spirit's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I prop the bag under the vestibule with my boots beside of it, sometimes it does not like to stay upright. I'm 6-2 and there is not much room left inside for anything else. I refer to the tent as 'the coffin'.
    Of course that's my opinion and I could be wrong.
    Buckeye Trail 2,700 miler.

Cerveza - AT 2010; PCT 2011 StormBird's Avatar

i also put my pack at my feet at night when it was dry and in my vestibule when wet.

I used my Hubba for my 2010 thru hike but looking back, i would have ditched the hubba and used a tarp or slept in shelters with a bug net. you could save weight with a lighter weight shelter option. I plan on hiking the PCT in 2012 and i will definitely switch to a tarp to save weight.

Also, consider using tyvek instead of the ground clothe that comes with it.

Good luck and happy trails!
    Trail Name: Cerveza

Images

I keep my pack under my thermarest at my feet when my feet/legs are sore; other than that, its in the vestibule with the rain cover on. In a jam, you can slip your sleeping bag into the pack for emergency warmth.

I have also thought about just carrying the pole/body combo and staying in shelters, but I cannot bring myself to ditch the rainfly, just in case the shelter is full.

I also think that it would come off as rude to others in the shelter to set up the Hubba body as a "bug net".

Would that come off to any of you as rude?

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribe View Post
    I also think that it would come off as rude to others in the shelter to set up the Hubba body as a "bug net".

I've done that, although not in a packed shelter. It doesn't take up much more space than my sleeping bag. No one seemed to think it was rude; if anything they were envious of my mosquito-free night.

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribe View Post

Pitching a tent (with or w/o the fly) inside a shelter is inconsiderate of shelter mates.
    Roland

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Pitching a tent (with or w/o the fly) inside a shelter is inconsiderate of shelter mates.
    No it isn't. What's inconsiderate is not taking into account the available space when you set it up. I've set up my tent in shelters before and nobody minded, except the old fart that walked by the shelter, said something rude and kept on going. 3/4 of the shelter was empty, and he wasn't staying anyhow. Some people just have to complain about something. Just use good sense and if there's plenty of room, don't worry about setting it up. The hubba is so slim anyhow, it only takes up the space you're sleeping in.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I came to a few campsites and all u say was hubbas. Great tent...I used a carbon reflex on my thru

StormBird
    I would rethink the tarp on the PCT w/o any other shelter. I used a tarp on both of my AT thrus but there are alot of places on the southern PCT that it is hard to tie off a tarp...OTOH, I really enjoyed cowboy camping ALOT in the desert.
    I would also worry about the bugs in the Sierras and north. Like I said, I AM a tarp user but I also took my Hubba to the PCT because I couldn't decide...I sent the tarp home after 2 weeks.

geek

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++