WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Pack (REI Flash 65) Help Needed

I currently own an REI Flash 65, size Large. Up until recently, I’ve only been able to do some short mile or so hikes in order to get a ‘feel’ for it. Last month I backpacked with it on an overnighter for about 13 miles in TN and this weekend about the same mileage on a local trail in my area. These latest trips have allowed me to get some seasoned use with this pack.

I’m having to constantly re-adjust (re-snug) the shoulder straps and load lifter straps. The shoulder straps loosen more than the load lifter straps. This become so frequent and noticeable that I actually counted how many steps I took at one point just to see what the time frame/distance was when I re-adjusted the straps. I re-adjusted the straps (shoulder & load lifter), then counted out 100 left foot strides and the straps above loosened and needed re-adjustment. I found myself constantly re-adjusting the straps and it became quite annoying.

My total pack weight for both trips recently was around 37-38 pounds. I know, I know, some of are gonna say ‘wholly smolly’, that much weight? On these overnight trips, I packed as if I am going out for 3-4 days in order to get a realistic feel of backpacking such a load. And some of you will still say, I can do ‘X’ number of days on much less weight in the pack. I know I need to reduce my pack weight and have actually done so over the past few years. I need some advice on what may be the problem.

Not the right fit?

More weight in this pack than designed for it?

Please advise………………

SMSP
    South MS Patriot

Stir Fry

I had the flash and it only made to carry 25 30 lb anything over that and there will be comfort issues. I had the same problems you are incountering over 30 lb. I ended up selling it and went with a McHale Alpine 2. Little heaver but mad to handle the weight.

The flash is definitely made to handle an absolute max of 30ish lbs. I would advise down sizing your gear load if you are going to be using that pack or check out something with a bit more of a frame (osprey exos). This is coming from someone who owns a flash and works for REI.

Images

Both my husband and I have that pack (I have the womens small).....I'm taking mine back. I know we don't carry more than 25 lbs because we have a very accurate scale to weigh them. We both have the problem of the shoulder straps constantly sliding down each side. It gets exhausting and very painful to constantly "shrug" them back up or to keep trying to tighten them. It doesn't bother my husband as much as it does me. It just makes the center of my upper back feel like it's ripping in two after a couple of hours of that.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Either the strap is to slick (nothing for the clip to bite into) or the clip is defective (or cheap)or both. Either way REI should resolve the issue with you.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Thanks for the responses. It looks like even if I could get down to 30 pounds, I'd still have the same problem. When I get time I'll go hike a few miles with this pack between 25-30 pounds and see if there is a difference.

Dang, I thought I had 'the pack' for my liking. I have come to really like it's features. It will be disappointing to have to return it, if that's what I end of doing.

So, any other reccomendations for a pack similar to the Flash 65 that handle between 35-40 pounds?

I did have quite a bit of cold weather extras with me. But even if it were a warm weather/summer situation, I'd still be around 32-33 pounds.

SMSP
    South MS Patriot

Sorry, no help from me, other than to say I have never met a happy Flash 65 owner... just ones with socks and such jammed under the shoulder straps.

I think that pack is just not built right - way too much volume for the suspension.

I would look at the Gossamer Gear line, or ULA. I had a Mariposa Plus - good volume, and it handles 25 lbs comfortably, up to the max listed 30 lb with a little less comfort. I sold the M+ since my needs changed and downsized some. When next I buy a light pack it will probably be ULA or Six Moon Designs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SMSP View Post
    Thanks for the responses. It looks like even if I could get down to 30 pounds, I'd still have the same problem. When I get time I'll go hike a few miles with this pack between 25-30 pounds and see if there is a difference.

Dang, I thought I had 'the pack' for my liking. I have come to really like it's features. It will be disappointing to have to return it, if that's what I end of doing.

So, any other reccomendations for a pack similar to the Flash 65 that handle between 35-40 pounds?

I did have quite a bit of cold weather extras with me. But even if it were a warm weather/summer situation, I'd still be around 32-33 pounds.

SMSP
    a bit more expensive but the Osprey Atmos 65 is nice. and can handle the weight.

I would take a look at the Golite Pinnacle.

Weighs in at around 2lbs, is able to carry loads of upto 40lbs, has a 72L capacity and the best part is the price: with Golite's 40% off coupon code, you can order it from their website for $105 excluding tax+shipping.

http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDe...mc=176&t=&lat=

Hike smarter, not harder.

A 40# load in a Golite Pinnacle would be the worst experience of your life. Well, close to it, anyway. Mine flexes in the middle @30, unless it's really compressed.

How about ordering some new ladderlocks and replacing the ones on it?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    I had the flash and it only made to carry 25 30 lb anything over that and there will be comfort issues. I had the same problems you are incountering over 30 lb. I ended up selling it and went with a McHale Alpine 2. Little heaver but mad to handle the weight.
    Wow, that was a big jump. So what did the Mchale set you back, $500-600?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Default bravefriend

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxnomad View Post
    The flash is definitely made to handle an absolute max of 30ish lbs. I would advise down sizing your gear load if you are going to be using that pack or check out something with a bit more of a frame (osprey exos). This is coming from someone who owns a flash and works for REI.
    i agree. as a former employee of REI this pack was designed to carry a maximum of 30 lbs

I have a REI flash 65 (size large) and put alot of miles on it last summer and didn't have the proble m that others are discussing here. Although, keep your weigh lower then 35 pounds and continue to test out your pack to see what the problem is, as it doesn't sound like (to me at least) its poor quality material. REI is a great company, so if you feel that the pack isn't for you, then exchange it.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by Bravefriend View Post
    i agree. as a former employee of REI this pack was designed to carry a maximum of 30 lbs
    Wow, just realized who this was that was quoting my post.

Maybe take a look at the Deuter Act Lite 65+10. I know REI carries them so youl would get a chance to look at them. I actually have one for sale on the forum if you decide you would want one
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far". Theodore Roosevelt

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeremesh View Post
    a bit more expensive but the Osprey Atmos 65 is nice. and can handle the weight.
    I looked at these quite a bit when I purchase the Flash 65, and have revisted them again.

SMSP
    South MS Patriot

Stir Fry

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Wow, that was a big jump. So what did the Mchale set you back, $500-600?
    When I decided to go with Mchale my only consideration was comfort, I already had 5 packs, ULA, REI, 2 Kelty's and an off brand, none carred 30 to 35 lb. in comfort. That 22lb base and 5 days foods and water.

McHale sent packs and let me try them. Then custom fit mine. Its made to carry 80 lb. and with 35 almost feels like its not there, (almost). The pack is about $700, but as I ordered mine $800 I had a lot extrs added. But you can get a custom fitted pack in the $500 range and in a lighter pack that is still able to carry 50-60 lb.

I know ther are those that will say the price is crazy; easy to say but I was tired of getting packs only to realize ther was no way I was going to do a Thru with it. So I went with what I belived to be the best and the only one that was made for me with every thing I wanted.

I wonder if you guys are talking about the new flash pack, or the ones from the years before, because they revamped that pack ALOT. the new one I actually like quite a bit and have packed a few good hikes with it and liked it.

Images

I bought my Flash 65 in Oct. 2009. Not sure about if it's an older version or not.

SMSP
    South MS Patriot

++ New Posts ++