WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Esbit Stove Cooking Set

While visiting a nearby military base, I discovered Esbit has a new stove and 585 ml cook set. The base exchange sells these of $25. $30 seems the going online price.

The set is all light hard anodized aluminum. The cup and lid hold a round one-piece Esbit stove that can accommodate most alcohol stoves. Includes a small stuff sack too.

Might give these as gifts to several adult nieces next Christmas to encourage backpacking. Good also for 72-hour disaster kits.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Interesting setup. The windscreen/pot support looks promising, but an additional windscreen will probably be needed in high winds. I have all I need in stoves at the moment, so I won't allow myself to be tempted.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Tempting.... being the esbit fan that I am...

For the moment I'll stick with my caldera cone.

Looks very nice. I use a titanium three-legged folding base, foil windscreen, and a ti pot.

Think about making your own, there's a great site out there that shows a "wallet stove" made from aluminum stock which you can use esbit or alcohol in. I made one (using it NOBO this year) from scrap around the shop, virtually no weight and no cost, and am using a foil wind screen and I like it lot.

Default ESBIT fan here

I too like ESBIT (or FireLite) fuel tabs. I use my Vargo Triad base for ESBIT W/ an MSR windscreen. This setup is likely lighter (and MUCH less bulky) than the new Esbit stove.

Works great with TWO fuel tabs for faster cooking. Usually I have about 1/2 tab left over so I use it with a fresh tab for the next meal. Dis a week in the Grand Canyon with this setup and even cooked spaghetti with great success.

Now... we need someone to learn how to make a mildly pressurized stove to use solid rocket fuel.

Eric

Speaking of Esbit stoves, I got one of these: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...ing-stove.html
    For my Georgia hike in '06. Nice and light, with a ti windscreen which rolls up small as a short pencil. The rivet holding the legs together (and esbit holder on top) worked loose on my trip and occasionally one leg would fall off while setting it up (never while using it). After I got home I drilled out the bad rivet and replaced it. Nice design. I hope they fixed the rivet issue.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Does the stove fit inside the pot?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by maybe clem View Post
    Does the stove fit inside the pot?
    From the description:

We opened one of the boxes which was a 4 inches cube. Inside we discovered a small drawstring bag. Opening the drawstring bag we pulled out a cup with folding handles. Inside the cup was the stove. We set the stove base on the shelf and set the cup into the stove. Clever.

Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

do you think this would be good for just boiling water on a day hike for Mountain House meals?

Quote Originally Posted by misfit88 View Post
    do you think this would be good for just boiling water on a day hike for Mountain House meals?
    It would work very well but on just a day hike and boiling some water for a MH meal and maybe some tea I think I would just use a piece of foil for a base and couple rocks for a pot stand with some esbit tabs, it works very well for me.

I wounder how it would handle a wood fire in place of the tabs.

The esbit / alcohol cookset is available in the US.

http://www.campsaver.com/cookset-985-ml

++ New Posts ++