WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hilleberg - nammatj 2 gt

Does any one have any experience with these tents? I am upgrading our backpacking tent to something we can stand to live in for months and be in the same tent together and this one keeps drawing me back to the magazine page. Maybe it is just gear lust, or maybe it is meant to be mine. lol There are no dealers in GA, but I am going to see if my friend who has an outfitter store can get one in for me to see but until then I am clueless. I don't know anyone with one of these, but they seem to have great reviews.

Any thoughts or advice on this tent? My needs are: Myself and my daughter, and our dog where he's allowed, plus our gear of course.

Thanks for any help!

http://www.hilleberg.com/home/produc...nammatj2gt.php
    "Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
    - Frank Scully

I have an Akto. The nylon liners (inner tents) have very small windows and the fabric doesn't breathe very well. If you decide on the Nammatj, see if you can get it with the mesh inner tent.
    Meanwhile, check out these tents: www.warmlite.com .
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Thanks Tinker! Going to linked site now!
    - Frank Scully

If you get the Stephenson, make sure you get the side windows! They are a must (according to owners).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I like what I'm seeing so far. Have clicked onto the 2 and 3 person and they look good. Windows are very important to me, so they are a must. I don't think I would like the small ones on the Hilleberg tent so you may have swayed me. Thank you, I would hate to spend that kind of money to find out I don't really have a way to look outside, get fresh air or stargaze. What a waste that would be, out in nature but not able to see it.
    - Frank Scully

I toured the factory back in the 1980s when I worked at REI. Hopefully the construction is as good as it was back then. These tents were handmade by local craftsmen in their own homes (after being supplied with fabric, thread, etc. by Stephenson (Jack, now retired, was in charge back then). They were then sent to the factory on Hook Rd. where they were set up and thoroughly examined before sale.
    I bought one of their sleeping bags for winter climbing in the White Mountains of NH. I don't do much of that anymore, so I sold the bag, but the stitching was perfect and the nylon, though light, was extremely strong.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to print out their catalog at work tomorrow so I can check out everything. I appreciate your help!
    - Frank Scully

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Delta-Dawn View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to print out their catalog at work tomorrow so I can check out everything. I appreciate your help!
    I'd be cautious about printing a Stephenson catalog at work.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    The online catalog is pretty tame. I don't know what is available to print.

Yeah, the old one ('60s to '90s) was a bit racy for the average person.

Oh lordy. LOL I did a catalog request as a PDF, so I have no idea what will be in that email. Maybe I shouldn't have sent it to my work address. lol
    - Frank Scully

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    The online catalog is pretty tame. I don't know what is available to print.

Yeah, the old one ('60s to '90s) was a bit racy for the average person.
    I can only imagine. lol
    - Frank Scully

Images

They've changed their website. Last year the racy pdf catalog was on their. Now it looks like it must be requested. Their website says...

http://warmlite.com/catalog
    Please assure us that you are over 18 years of age as our catalog contains nudity.

They've changed their website. Last year the racy pdf catalog was on their. Now it looks like it must be requested. Their website says...

http://warmlite.com/catalog
    I must have skimmed right over that. Wow, I'm either tired or old to not even notice the word 'nudity'. I need to quit reading this board and all other 11 tabs I have open and go to bed. The A.T. will still be there tomorrow, I can give it a rest for the night.

I'll let y'all know about my nudey catalog though.
    - Frank Scully

Images

I have a Nammatj2 and it is the finest tent I have ever used. With 18 potential pegging points (it sets up just fine with 4) it is rock solid in very high wind and lots of snow. THe ventilation is excellent as the two primary vents are HUUUGE. They can be closed from inside the tent and are mesh backed for bugs. The inner also as a separate vent that is mesh backed should you just use the inner. The front door is fabric but also backed entirely with mesh. Condensation has been a non-issue for me. It is also much warmer than a single walled design because it does better at minimizing heat loss through convection. Inside there is also an internal guyline system to tighten everything up even more. I was amazed at the room because the side walls are vertical so every inch is usable.

Downside? A bit heavy, but there are 12oz worth of pegs included and all guylines are pre attached and have line runners on them. The floor is 100D and both the inner and the outer are more robust than the regular Hille models. Zippers are upgraded. The poles are 10.25 in diameter. It is also packed with a repair sleeve and complete section of pole for any field repairs.

I have never used a Stephenson, but have read and seen video on BPL.com of one consistently flattening in the wind. I seem to see a love / hate relationship with the product.

You owe it to yourself to check the Nammatj out.

Thank you so much, Familyguy. No matter how many tents I have looked at in the past months, the Nammatj is what keeps pulling me back in. I think in the long run, the weight will be worth the comfort. I am going to Florida for the shuttle launch in a few weeks and there is an outfitter that carries them. I am going to make a trip there for that tent, I won't be satisfied until I see it for myself (and then buy it, lol). I really think this is the tent I want to go with, thank you so much for your expert input.
    - Frank Scully

++ New Posts ++