WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

always go to kincora, more to see bob than the hostel itself
    someone mentioned elmers cool dude,but the smoky mtn. diner is always my top choice for grubbing in hot springs :-)
    packrats always been a good stop(glencliff,NH.) alot of great church hostels were good to me and my pooch.
    i agree with some, my dog and i usually prefered motels. she was much more relaxed on her bed with the AC cranked up!!!
    i love neels gap,not the hostel so much
    miss tilley was nice to me. miss J was always a good stop

Images

Stayed at Bear's Den one night in Jan of 2010. I think I was the first or second hiker of the year to stop there. It's a beautiful place, with friendly caretakers.

I heard a lot about Woods Hole last summer when I was hiking toward Pearisburg. I elected to stay at Docs Knob shelter, and there were only two of us there that night. I think that says a lot for Woods Hole - they must have had quite a crowd.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    best? worst? be thankful you got a place to lay down cheap. you're suppose to be in the woods doin' a trail. suck it up and quit whinin' about stuff in towns. to wobegon in particular
    What's the point of this sub-forum if not to give reviews/information regarding the hostels along the trail?

Pine Ellis are notorious nickel and dimers, to the point of SELLING HALF-EATEN FOOD out of the hiker box in their mini-resupply locker.

Standing Bear's "workers" are alcoholics and drug dealers, who not only intensely pressured me to get a bunk (when I already had a bad vibe about the place and just wanted a quick resupply) but repeatedly pressured me to buy illegal drugs from them.

There's a certain standard I think people should be able to expect when exchanging money for goods and services, especially on the trail when people are on a tight budget. Whiteblaze offers honest reviews of these places on the forum and hopefully pressures the lodging/hostel owners to straighten up or suffer the consequences.

If that's "whinin" by your standards, Lone Wolf, so be it.
    AT '11
    Springer Mtn. 3/16/11 -------> Katahdin 8/24/11
    Stoveless and Slackless

<<Pine Ellis are notorious nickel and dimers>>

<<Standing Bear's "workers" are alcoholics and drug dealers, >>

I completely agree with both of these statements. However, I had a great time at both places! Even with all of the faults, I would still take any of these hostels over the average roach motel.

(Partly this is just due to my hatred of staying in motels/hotels, especially when alone. I find them creepy, isolating, and overpriced in the bargain. Also, hotels typically don't offer a kitchen or internet, two very important services to me.)

Images

Vvvvvvvvoooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrttttttttttteeeeeeeeee eeeeeexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (vortex).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wobegon View Post
    What's the point of this sub-forum if not to give reviews/information regarding the hostels along the trail?

Pine Ellis are notorious nickel and dimers, to the point of SELLING HALF-EATEN FOOD out of the hiker box in their mini-resupply locker.

Standing Bear's "workers" are alcoholics and drug dealers, who not only intensely pressured me to get a bunk (when I already had a bad vibe about the place and just wanted a quick resupply) but repeatedly pressured me to buy illegal drugs from them.

There's a certain standard I think people should be able to expect when exchanging money for goods and services, especially on the trail when people are on a tight budget. Whiteblaze offers honest reviews of these places on the forum and hopefully pressures the lodging/hostel owners to straighten up or suffer the consequences.

If that's "whinin" by your standards, Lone Wolf, so be it.
    The posts about Dalton got removed but, this one didn't?????
    Seek, and you shall find.

Journal Entries

I am a man, and found the assertions regarding standing Bear to accurate. I love the Trail. That place is a disgrace. I'm sorry if it hurts people's feelings. There are many awesome people who service the AT community through hostelling, shuttling, restaurants, gear, ect, and there are a few people that I think are there to keep the party going. That said I talked with Maria there and she seemed pretty ok, I felt bad for her, though. It's just like hikers, some are there for love of the trail and others, mostly younger men, are just shifting the party from the dorm to the shelters. Without question, Standing Bear was the only completely terrible place I witnessed out there, where I thought the place was dangerous. Most people are pretty awesome.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

My personal top 5, in no particular order, and not including hotels (any place where I was in a private room):

1) Bears Den in northern VA
    2) The Chapman Inn in Bethel, ME--well off the beaten path, but a pretty good deal and my favorite breakfast on the ENTIRE trail
    3) Birdcage in Dalton, Mass.
    4) Grace Lutheran in Waynesboro, VA
    5) Shaw's in Monson, ME
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Images

Woods Hole
    Grace Lutheran
    Neels
    PakRats
    Kincora- Go for Bobs stories

Images

I thought the cabin was closed, or open only to past guests or something?

Surprised to see this thread restarted. My 2 year hike of the trail allowed me to stop at quite a few hostels. Here are my favorites:

FOOD: Shaws, Mountain Harbour

CLEANLINESS: Green Mtn House, Hiker Hostel, White Mtn Lodge

PERSONALITY of owner: Kincora, The Cabin, Birdcage

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKER- View Post
    The posts about Dalton got removed but, this one didn't?????
    Sorry I missed that one!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

In 2006 thru-hike attempt, after crossing GSMNP at Davenport Gap I’ve met Whimsey with granddaughter Shanna. I was exhausted, thirsty. I had almost no food to reach Hot Springs. I’ve taken only minimum pages from Thru-Hiker’s Companion. And my English wasn’t good in that time. Not perfect and now. J

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=259717

Let me quote Whimsey:

“On the way back to Standing Bear Farm, Kelley dropped Shanna and me off so Shanna could hike about a mile and a half on the AT with me up to Standing Bear Farm. Before we started, a hiker named Arius, originally from Lithuania, came up and wanted to buy some extra food if we had it so he could make it to Hot Springs. He didn't know about Standing Bear Farm where he could re-supply. He hiked with us so we could show him the way. Some trail magic for him. As we were hiking, a grasshopper landed on Shanna's hat. When I went to take it off, it latched onto my finger and wouldn't let go. I took a picture since this sounded like a tall tale that no one would believe. Out here strange things happen. Around 7:00 p.m. Kelley, Shanna and I said our good-byes. I really enjoyed spending time with them.”

Whimsay showed me where is the shower, “store”, and bunkhouse. I was absolutely happy. Hostel was empty: no owners, no hikers except Whimsey and me.
    Since the Standing Bear Farm hostel became hub for my future hikes in AT 2009, AT 2010, and BMT 2011

And yes, this place is great for Thru-hikers. Not for Fussy-hikers or Cadillac-hikers. This is minimalistic hostel: self-served hostel. Thanks Curtis and Maria.

Pie Lady.... the strangeness of hanging out with old people in the depths of senality mixed with great food. Plus she drove me around to meet her kids taking me on a trip in Northern Maine. I'm doubt she is still around but that was my favorite hiker's spot in the early 90s.

I saw Pie Lady listed in the AT Guide offering shuttle services.

Imagine that Hiker Hostel in Georgia is gearing up for another busy season....they do a great job !!!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

The Doyle might not be a hostel but I found out if you sit by the front door long enough people will give you money!
    I was waiting for them to open one morning when a lady came out of the bank next door and handed me $10, she insisted I take it even though I tried to not accept it. I figure she though I was homeless. Well maybe I was since I was thru-hiking.
    Best hostel, Shaw's, 2nd best AT Lodge.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I heard rumors that Whitehouse Landing was for sale last year, but I see it is listed in the 2012 AT Guide. Lot's of opinion on that place, but it serves a good burger and if the prices in the Guide are too high for your liking just hike on !!!!!

Images

In defense of Standing Bear and Pine Ellis, I will say that the owners of both places went out of their way, above and beyond, to help my wife and I when it was needed. My only criticism of Pine Ellis is that they did not have air conditioning during this past summer's heat wave, but nobody up there does, not even expensive hotels in Rangely.

What about the "new" Iron Master's hostel? Has anyone stayed there since it reopened this year? How does it rate to other hostels along the trail?

I was very excited to find this thread! I think I will be doing the same as Chilly Willy was - AT Guide, pencil, and notes! Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. I have only planned to Damascus so far, but may be making some revisions after reading this.

As far as the Hiker's Hostel, I booked a bunk there for March 7th, and Leah said they were pretty full that night. So it seems that business is already booming early in the season!
    -Tammy (a-ka) <><

Will Turner
    : This is either madness or brilliance.
    Captian Jack Sparrow: It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide.
    (POTC - The Curse of the Black Pearl)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++