WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Best Hostels on the AT

I read about all the 2011 thruhikers making reservations at Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, GA. What a great place. These hikers will be in for a bit of a shock as they hike north. Very few hostels come close to the cleanliness and beauty of Hiker Hostel.

Images

Yeah, its a nice cabin and they have good breakfast there. I like that hostel in Hot Springs, NC that serves great vegan food.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    I like that hostel in Hot Springs, NC that serves great vegan food.
    Yes! Elmer's was a great place indeed! And probably one of the best vegan meals I've ever had! Definitely not to be missed!

For those who don't know, it's located directly across the street from the diner on Main St. (Smokey Mtn Diner?). It's a big old house, doesn't exactly look like a hostel so you could just walk right by it without knowing. Entrance is in back.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Everybody dies someday, but not everyone gets to live.

The great tragedy isn't that people die for freedom...but that people live for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by FatherTime09 View Post
    Yes! Elmer's was a great place indeed! And probably one of the best vegan meals I've ever had! Definitely not to be missed!

For those who don't know, it's located directly across the street from the diner on Main St. (Smokey Mtn Diner?). It's a big old house, doesn't exactly look like a hostel so you could just walk right by it without knowing. Entrance is in back.
    Elmer's is not vegan. he uses plenty of eggs and dairy in his cooking

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I tried to hit all the hostels I reasonably could and IMO they're hit or miss all the way up the trail. One of my favorite was The AT Lodge in Millinocket, which is as far north as the Hiker Hostel is south in relation to the trail.

I prefer a hotel just for the privacy and being able to chill without having to think about what anyone else is doing when I want to do something. Plus they're usually cleaner and closer to services in town anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I tried to hit all the hostels I reasonably could and IMO they're hit or miss all the way up the trail. One of my favorite was The AT Lodge in Millinocket, which is as far north as the Hiker Hostel is south in relation to the trail.
    One reason the AT Lodge does a great job is that Ole Man and Navi used to work at Hiker Hostel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lybarger View Post
    One reason the AT Lodge does a great job is that Ole Man and Navi used to work at Hiker Hostel.
    I did know that.... My wife and I went to dinner with Ole Man and Navigator and got to hear their story. Pretty good one - they've really been to some cool places.

Images

the doyle is my favorite hostel. great atmosphere, great food, cold beer, great owners.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Images

Default The Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    the doyle is my favorite hostel. great atmosphere, great food, cold beer, great owners.
    The Doyle was (by far) the most talked about hostel/bar by all the AT veteran hikers I met on the other trails.
    In fact everyone had a story to tell about the place.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The Doyle was (by far) the most talked about hostel/bar by all the AT veteran hikers I met on the other trails.
    In fact everyone had a story to tell about the place.
    I stayed there July 4th, 2009 and it was a total trip after 9:00 PM...

There was a guy out in the road casting a fishing lure down the street, people wrestling on the sidewalk, fireworks going off, people screaming and yelling.

A true free-for-all... Me and Tiptoe were the only sober people in Duncannon that night I think.

Images

I stayed there July 4th, 2009 and it was a total trip after 9:00 PM...

There was a guy out in the road casting a fishing lure down the street, people wrestling on the sidewalk, fireworks going off, people screaming and yelling.

A true free-for-all... Me and Tiptoe were the only sober people in Duncannon that night I think.
    the fine folks of duncannon never disappoint!
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    I had such a good time at the Doyle, will definately stay there again this year. The owners and regulars were the best nothing was to much trouble. Some local hikers having lunch there asked me to join them and then insisted on paying for my lunch and beers, how good is that.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The Doyle has the best fries on the trail

But I loved my room in The Cabin in Maine this past summer

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Elmer's is not vegan. he uses plenty of eggs and dairy in his cooking
    That may be, but the meals I had there were advertised as vegan. Sure hope they weren't lying to us...
    -------------------------------------------------
    Everybody dies someday, but not everyone gets to live.

The great tragedy isn't that people die for freedom...but that people live for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by FatherTime09 View Post
    That may be, but the meals I had there were advertised as vegan. Sure hope they weren't lying to us...
    i've eaten dozens of meals there and almost all of them involved eggs, cheese or other dairy. maybe he's gone full vegan. doubt it though

I did know that.... My wife and I went to dinner with Ole Man and Navigator and got to hear their story. Pretty good one - they've really been to some cool places.
    I'm pretty sure Ole Man is a Nam vet. Anyways, I stayed there at the end of my thru. Nice place, but kind of a damper on my feelings, knowing it was my last hostel. As for the hiker hostel, I heard it was 70 a night or so, too steep for me. Same with a hotel, 50 bucks and it doesn't even include meals or laundry, no thanks. I had a nice day on the AT, in Virginia, I think it was. It was nice and warm, I got a resupply around noon, and saw a nice campsite by the creek. I stopped, took a bath, and did laundry. I never did creek baths unless it was warm, but it was a really nice day. My final expenses for my thru was right around $2400, a bit more than I wanted to spend, but if I did it again, I could probably do it on $1500, as I know which towns to resupply in, good places to take creek baths and do laundry, ect.

My top two are the Dutch Haus and the Doyle.

Default Hostels, people, not hotels.

There can't be too many people out there that think more of the Doyle Hotel than I do, and I'm glad so many people seem to agree.

But last I checked, this thread was about hiker hostels, i.e. not hotels, not bars, not restaurants. But hostels.

That being said, after Kincora, everywhere else is an afterthought.

Images

Default You heard wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    As for the hiker hostel, I heard it was 70 a night or so, too steep for me.
    You heard wrong, as it is only $15 or so for a night at the Hiker Hostel, if all you want is a place to sleep. $70 gets you shuttled from the train/bus/plane in, bunk, breakfast, and shuttle to the trail. Most trail shuttles would cost nearly $70!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    My top two are the Dutch Haus and the Doyle.
    B&B and a hotel. neither is a hostel

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++