WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Neck knife

Images

Default Neck knife

I'm looking for a good knife that can be worn around the neck, something like what cody lundin uses ...

Any suggestions?

I kinda like that TOPS Knives Shango Neck Knife 2-3/4" Blade, not really looking for a skeletal handle tho ...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

I've been eyeballing this one.... know someone who carries it on the shoulder strap of his pack.
    http://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Back-.../dp/B000Q94LIW

Images

Lundin uses a Mora, It's not a neck knife, He just hangs it there.
    Cold Steel makes a good quality affordable neck knife.
    Bark River makes a very good quality neck knife but it's not cheap.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

folts minimalist or a razor blade.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Boker makes one that my gf just bought

This is my preferance http://www.rei.com/product/786636
    Also playing woth this design http://www.m4040.com/Survival/10_Cen...ival_Knife.htm but using a recip saw blade

I can't stand things around my neck, with that said, I second the mora. It is a better knife than most blades 10x the price.

Quote Originally Posted by darkage View Post
    I'm looking for a good knife that can be worn around the neck, something like what cody lundin uses ...

Any suggestions?

I kinda like that TOPS Knives Shango Neck Knife 2-3/4" Blade, not really looking for a skeletal handle tho ...
    Ask yourself...

Is your knife selection being driven by practicality, or by a certain image you wish to emulate?
    Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Ask yourself...

Is your knife selection being driven by practicality, or by a certain image you wish to emulate?
    This is a really good point. Everything is being commercialized nowadays, sell an image. Buy this product and you will be that person, ect. There is a tribe in south america that lives pretty primitively. Their only blade is a 5 inch chunk of broken machete. I have gotten happier as I have gotten rid of more stuff, not bought more.

Images

Ask yourself...

Not trying too emulate any image, looking for something that can be grabed quickly, something light ... full tang, exactly what i posted ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k8T3pXCgcU

This knife, BUT with a different handle or i'd just cord it and without the bells and whistles, i don't need the strike for example ... just a good quality neck knife that keeps an edge and is easily ready for tinder and light camp chores ....
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

Images

I've got a Smith&Wesson neck knife w/sheath that is also an emergency whistle.About 30$....

The becker necker is a good knife.
    A bit heavy for me as a neck knife.
    About 4.5 oz

The Mora knifes are great, but not a neck knife really.
    Better worn on your shoulder strap
    About 4.5 oz

A buck hartsook is good for a 2" blade and very light.
    That is about how I like neck knives.
    Weighs 0.5 oz

There's nothing wrong with having preference in your blade. It's also never something you want to have doubts about. I usually carry a 4" blade, because 2" or 3" blades feel more like toys than tools to me. I will also 'third' the Mora. My camping buddy uses one, I'm going to buy one myself. The 4" Military Clipper, it's strong, keeps sharp, and is also still rust/corrosion free. He wears his around his neck too, 550 strung up through a soft belt sheath. I currently carry a 4.25" AUS-8 stainless steel tanto-style blade, full tang, by CRKT.

Or Gerber LST, under twenty bucks, 1.2 ounces. Get one of the neck thingys that folks use to carry their keys/I.D. with quick disconnect. I can take a moose apart with a 2" blade. This one has 2.6" blade so you could probaly skin an elephant.

Images

Get that one and take a photo of it around your neck so we can see how looks.

Good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Or Gerber LST, under twenty bucks, 1.2 ounces. Get one of the neck thingys that folks use to carry their keys/I.D. with quick disconnect. I can take a moose apart with a 2" blade. This one has 2.6" blade so you could probaly skin an elephant.
    That is a really good knife, only complaint I had with it was the Torx screws in the handle loosened over time. I put some loctite on it and fixed the problem. I got a victorinox cadet because I gotta have a screwdriver and can opener on my pocketknife, and a bottle opener is a necessity, especially as a college student.

Ask yourself...

That's the same thing I wonder about people who have to get the latest ounce/gram saving UL thing.
    Or the spandex clad guy riding his bicycle around town.
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    and a bottle opener is a necessity, especially as a college student.
    As a college student you should know that the world is your oyster as far a bottle openers are concerned. I bet it been since high school that i popped open a beer with an actual bottle opener.
    "some editing should be done in parentheses for clarity where spelling prevents reading."---matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Awol1970 View Post
    As a college student you should know that the world is your oyster as far a bottle openers are concerned. I bet it been since high school that i popped open a beer with an actual bottle opener.
    Yeah, but the bottle opener is much easier than using a bic or table edge. I also like having a can opener on my pocketknife in case I become homeless and have to live on the AT.

Images

Mine is at amaz.com...16.75$...it's the Smith&Wesson SW990 Neck Knife... with Zytel sheath&rescue whistle..about 4oz...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++