WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need UL Convertible Pant Suggestions

So after last summer I figure I want to look into convertible pants because I found myself constantly changing from shorts to wind pants to short to wind pants but even then both of those were not up to snuff. I'm looking for light weight with really good moisture management. I sweat a lot from my back and barely get an hour into a hike and my shorts are soaked so I need something that is good with that and be able to wash at night, wring out and it be dry in the morning. Ideas? Weights if you got them since REI doesn't seem to list weights for pants.

I'm not sure what you consider UL but my Columbia Silver Ridge II pants weigh 10oz in a small. They dry out really quickly and have been pretty durable as far as I'm concerned. You can also always find them on sale which is a nice plus.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far". Theodore Roosevelt

Look for convertibles that are lighter wt to have smaller zips and zipper pulls, less extraneous pockets(some convertibles have 12 pockets!), no brief liner, drawstring waist, etc. Ex Officio makes a decent light wt pair. My lightest ones were made by EMS in a model/version they no longer manufacture. See what GoLite has to offer. I would like to know what you find. Post me!

Default Convertible pants

I am currently using REI Sahara convertible medium (REI $55) w/black belt. They also include side ankle zips that let you take them off over shoes which adds more weight. With the belt, they weigh 12 oz. Still too heavy so keep us posted on what else you find!

Images

Wait, if you were changing pants frequently for temperature regulation, then you should definitely be looking at the RailRiders Ecomesh pants. They are not convertible, but I think they would do what you're looking for.

Also, one thing that I don't like about convertible pants is that the convertible zipper area takes forever to dry.

I do use REI Sahara pants, but I'm starting to get sick of them. The thread they use is way too weak. It seems like it wears out after I sit on a few boulders. They seem to hold up indefinitely after I resew it....I have a couple pairs that are nearly 10 years old. I may remove the cargo pockets on my newest pair to make them lighter and more breathable.

Why wouldn't you just put the wind pants on over the shorts? Or are we talking shorts down to your knees? Maybe you need a kilt with the wind pants so you don't have to take it off to put the pants on.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I certainly was in the right.
    Journal Entries
    Images

I like Mountain Hardware Mesa convertibles, use them year round (with tights during the winter). With the belt it weighs (yes, it is a dull night) 15.1oz - men's large long - YMMV.

Ex Officio Amphi Convertibles, size large - 11 ounces and wear like iron. Highly recommended.

Yeah, I was looking at RailRiders as a possibility but was disappointed that they didn't have converts. I'll look at the Ex Offico pants.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Wait, if you were changing pants frequently for temperature regulation, then you should definitely be looking at the RailRiders Ecomesh pants. They are not convertible, but I think they would do what you're looking for.
    Any idea what they weigh? I have wondered about them since I have used their eco-mesh shirt in the past. Thanks!

I second the Columbia Silver Ridges. Had my pair for three years and they are still going strong. Bust right through brush, scrapping boulders, and count in downpours. No real signs of wear either. Under 13oz for the pair I have. Believe I'll get another three years out of them.
    "May the Road Rise to Meet You"- The Wolfe Tones

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Any idea what they weigh? I have wondered about them since I have used their eco-mesh shirt in the past. Thanks!
    Found the answer to my question: 10 oz

Link for more info

http://www.railriders.com/men-eco-me...eld-p-837.html

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroC View Post
    Yeah, I was looking at RailRiders as a possibility but was disappointed that they didn't have converts. I'll look at the Ex Offico pants.
    I would call the Ecomesh a different type of convertible. If you're looking for the kind that will keep your shins dry during a creek ford, then you want the conventional kind. If you simply want to stay cool, then either kind will work, although the side zip is much more convenient. You have to get what works for you though. I think I'm done with the traditional convertible pants. They have area that dry too slowly, and with most I have to remove my footwear or get the inside of the pants even dirtier. From now on I'll just take off my pants if I want to keep them dry during a creek ford.

Journal Entries
    Images

Kind of covers it with the previous posts. These pants are all lighter than Bluejeans,

1. two large pockets
    2. pant legs must fit over boots.
    3. durable strong zipper on legs thats covered to avoid rash
    4. Brand name unimportant.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    I am currently using REI Sahara convertible medium (REI $55) w/black belt.

I have the REI Sahara convertibles, too, but they didn't give me any karate skills at all. Was I ripped off?

Aside from that, I like the pants.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I'm starting to really lean towards the rail riders. If they're good enough to run across deserts, shorts might be unnecessary except some nylon boxers that i wear anyways.

Images

I use Magellan brand fishing pants and long-sleeve shirts. They're all nylon with great zippered pockets. The shirt is 9.90 ounces and the pants are 15.65 with an included nylon web belt. Both retail for $20 at local Academy Sports. Only wish they had more muted woods colors and not bright boating colors.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

++ New Posts ++