WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default what was your average $$/per day expenditure thru-hiking?

so excluding gear or travel what did you spend once you started walking? please include averages for 3-5day resupply and hostel or hotel frequency. How about down time in town including food and a few cold ones? Just a rough estimate would be a great help. thanks to all

Sorry, if there is a thread like this I couldn't find it. I don't seem to have much luck using the "search"

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Ok, I'll go first...

Try $2 a mile. Some people would say that's more than enough, some people will say it's about right and some people will say it's not enough.

extra-ordinary hiker Roughin' It's Avatar

for me: 2,179 miles, around $5,000.

but I splurged, alot.

I learned in 2010...hiking with $2500 meant ramen every day every meal, and no trail towns.. definitely consider about $5k

Did it on $2500, and I stayed at several hostels, and rarely ate ramen. I actually splurged at the end, stayed in 3 of the hostels in Maine. I also ate a town meal every time I stopped. Knowing what I know now, where to stop, get groceries, ect, I know I could do it on under 2K. I did not feel deprived, either, honestly. I didn't drink that often, had a few beers once in awhile. I ate the instant potatoes and the rice meals with tuna, usually.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Ok, I'll go first...

Try $2 a mile.

Yep agree with that figure. About $4000

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Yep agree with that figure. About $4000

I was figured $5000,but that sounds even better.Now the Gf is talking about going to so maybe it will be 5000.

Stir Fry

$150 week will get you thru with out to much trouble.

I can eat for about $5 a day on the trail and treat myself to a $10-$15 town day each week. Budget around $20 each week for hostel stays and it comes to about $60-$70 a week. Depending on your hiking speed, $1400-$1800 should be fine.
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Torch09 View Post
    $1400-$1800 should be fine.
    If you hiked on that, then kudos, but many cannot. I spent just under $2 per day, but it got tight towards the end. I did have a good time though, and wouldn't want to do it any other way. To do it right, and not have to worry about money, I'd say 3-5K.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    If you hiked on that, then kudos, but many cannot. I spent just under $2 per day, but it got tight towards the end. I did have a good time though, and wouldn't want to do it any other way. To do it right, and not have to worry about money, I'd say 3-5K.
    Yeah, If I spent 3K on a thru, it would be really luxurious.

$3500-$5000

Garlic
    Images

On-trail costs for me included trail food (about $800), town food (about $700--I ate very well in towns) and lodging (about $800), or about $2300 total. I needed a couple hundred more for new shoes and socks and to replace a rain coat with a broken zipper, and stuff like that. My average town stop would cost about $25 for trail food, $20 for town food, $30 lodging (split with a partner) and that would be good for four days of hiking and 75 to 80 miles. If I were younger and stronger I could have done it with less lodging and fewer town meals.

That does not include travel costs and initial gear costs.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

A lot depends on the duration of the hike. A three-month hike will probably be a lot cheaper than an eight-month hike, even if they both cover the same distance.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

marta's right. 10 or 25 miles a day takes about the same food.

decision you will need to make is, do you want the money to control your hike or you to control the money. that's the difference between $2500 and $5000
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Does anyone ever figure how much they SAVE on a thru hike and see how this balances the expenses to figure a NET cost?

Depending on your situation and needs on the trail, you can cancel or cut back on expenses at home, such as utilities, cable TV, internet, cell phone, auto insurance, entertainment, etc...

Plus, if you spend 50$ per week on food at home and 75$ per week for food on the trail, your net cost for food is really only 25$.

I can see that a single retired person might even make a profit while thru hiking!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Does anyone ever figure how much they SAVE on a thru hike and see how this balances the expenses to figure a NET cost?

Depending on your situation and needs on the trail, you can cancel or cut back on expenses at home, such as utilities, cable TV, internet, cell phone, auto insurance, entertainment, etc...

Plus, if you spend 50$ per week on food at home and 75$ per week for food on the trail, your net cost for food is really only 25$.

I can see that a single retired person might even make a profit while thru hiking!
    going homeless hiker trash is the cheap way out.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

This adventure is very new to me. I plan to attempt a Thru-hike in 2012 or 13. I've read a lot of journals, etc., and seen prices from $1 per mile up to $3 and $4 per mile. The higher prices must have included gear.

Just for thought and info. Way back in 1986, my wife and 10 year old son did a 28 day journey to Alaska. We drove a VW Vanagon. We spent 25 nights in campgrounds and 3 nights in motels. Most campgrounds had showers. Cost, including fuel, was about $120.00 per day!............ remember that was 1986 (gasoline was 69 cents per gallon).... some campgrounds were free (in Canada) some were $4.00 per night!.

........Wife just corrected me on the daily cost (just under $100.00 per day)

I only took 7 zero days on my 2009 thru and came in at the low end of $3000.

Man, I wish I hung around more of them big spenders!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++