WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fifty Mile Day, best stretch to attempt?

Let's day someone wanted to attempt a 50-mile hiking day. In theory, where would be the best stretch to do that? Looking at an elevation profile I created:

http://kyle.goeshiking.net/wire.php

NOBO: 890-940 and 1345-1395 look like pretty good candidates. At least elevation wise... not saying anything about obstacles encountered.

Thoughts?

The 40 miles (NOBO) going into Damascus has always been considered one of the easiest stretches of the AT.
    Maybe you could start 10 miles before the road at Watauga Dam.
    Also, SNP is another "easy" part of the trail comparably to the rest.
    I once did a "longest day on the shortest day" in SNP (39.3 miles on Dec 21st, 2001)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Kincora to Dots.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NiteRaven View Post
    Let's day someone wanted to attempt a 50-mile hiking day. In theory, where would be the best stretch to do that? Looking at an elevation profile I created:

http://kyle.goeshiking.net/wire.php

NOBO: 890-940 and 1345-1395 look like pretty good candidates. At least elevation wise... not saying anything about obstacles encountered.

Thoughts?
    The Maryland Challenge is famously done many a time. Around 50.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

If you're looking for the easiest then pick out 50 miles pretty much anywhere in SNP. I could probably do a 50 mile day there.

I think the Maryland challenge is "only" 41 miles.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

MD into Southern PA. Start at the parking area in MD before the ascent to Weverton Cliffs and hike to PA Rt. 233 - 50 miles.

Re. the Tennessee stretch into Damascus, the 40 miles from Hampton/Rt. 321 to Damascus is fairly easy but the 10 prior miles are harder. In addition to the steep ascent up Pond Flat, the footing around Laurel Falls is too rugged for fast striding.

I'm pretty sure the Connecticut challenge is a 50 miler.

Never did a long day to make a certain number of miles, but I have done long days because I felt good and had too much energy. A few of the ones I would suggest were from Rt 11 in PA (near the Middlesex Diner) south, from Trent's grocery in VA south and from Quarry Gap Shelter in PA south.

I do know people who have done from Kincora Hostel in TN north too.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Images

I think Odyssa did a 65-mile day SOBO. It was her next-to-last day, into Neels Gap, on her record hike.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries
    Images

My longest day was heading into Waynesboro Va. I did 41 miles +. The day before I did 37. Ahhh.. how the pain felt. The last 5 miles me and a good trail friend did it at 5 miles an hr solid no joke. My feet hurt for the next 2-3 days, I felt every rock, bump, stik and twig.

The Shenandoah National Park would be a good place to give it a try, I think. Most of that stretch is very simple compared to the rest. Or if you love rocks give PA a try, a lot of flat but a crap load of rocks. When I say flat I do not mean it is flat just not as much of the ups and downs like other parts of the trail.

Oh yeah, they have GREAT BBQ in the town of Waynesboro right downtown, called Shukris BBQ Co gotta check them out.
    I don't know

Images

Quote Originally Posted by T-Glove View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Connecticut challenge is a 50 miler.
    CT is 51.3 or so, not sure it's the easiest place to do 50 in a day. Certainly not the hardest, though.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'd vote for Kincora to Dots, especially if you took the old AT route to bypass the climb up to Pond Flats.

Another option might be the road crossing just north of Maupin Field Shelter, through Rockfish Gap, to somewhere on Skyline Drive.

You'll find a lot more rocks through Maryland, which I wouldn't want to contend with on a long trail run (but then again, I'm no longer physically capable of a long trail run).

I think you'd find the AT from Buena Vista (US-60) south to Daleville pretty easy also, although there are a few good climbs in there.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker View Post
    ...A few of the ones I would suggest were from Rt 11 in PA (near the Middlesex Diner) south, .....
    I think we have a winner here except I'd hike it in a northbound direction so that the last 15 miles are the extremely easy practically flat stretch through the Cumberland Valley. Start at Caledonia, hike north to PA Rt. 944 which is 4 miles further than Rt. 11. Total distance: 51 1/2 miles.

Why am I not surprised that Stumpy's referenced landmark involves food?

isn't here a 4 state challenge thats around 40 miles?

Quote Originally Posted by onthepath View Post
    isn't here a 4 state challenge thats around 40 miles?
    va-wv-md-pa

the mahoosacs are a good bet! if you can do it there you can do it anywhere!
    **** the impossible

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky 2 View Post
    the mahoosacs are a good bet! if you can do it there you can do it anywhere!
    i did the 30 miles between gorham and grafton notch one time with a full pack when i was supporting Maineak

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker View Post
    Never did a long day to make a certain number of miles, but I have done long days because I felt good and had too much energy. A few of the ones I would suggest were from Rt 11 in PA (near the Middlesex Diner) south, from Trent's grocery in VA south and from Quarry Gap Shelter in PA south.

I do know people who have done from Kincora Hostel in TN north too.

+1 for the stretches in pa... pretty much the whole cumberland valley is a steady elevation and alot of road walking. Boring, but probably ideal for a 50 miler.

Little by little, one travels far. - J.R.R. Tolkien

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i did the 30 miles between gorham and grafton notch one time with a full pack when i was supporting Maineak
    Yes, but that was when you were young and had a good heart.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Cerveza - AT 2010; PCT 2011 StormBird's Avatar

I second the four state challenge. Maryland was probably the flattest trail I remember from my thru hike.
    Trail Name: Cerveza

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++