Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2011 adzpctko

Perhaps. Trailhacker fell last year on San Jacinto, sprained his ankle and couldn't finish his hike to Kennedy Meadows. Now he's all obsessed to at least finish the San Jacintos. We tried over Thanksgiving but it was snowing. So maybe we'll go back same time as Kickoff.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I'm starting on the 20th, so I'll be trying to hitch a ride back from Scissors Crossing or Warner Springs.

Regarding starting and the ADZPCTKO

there are rides each AM to the border.

Where is the set up in relation to the southern terminus?

Do you just usually hike north to the kick off, then hike out of the kick off on sunday?

Thanks! my wife and I are flying out on the 27th of april, we're attending the kick off the heading to Canada!

The kickoff is at Lake Morena Campground, which is about 6 road miles from the border and 20 trail miles from the monument. The trail runs right along the edge of the campground. Many people make reaching the campground their first night's goal.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I've put off asking about this. Is anyone heading to KO Thursday evening or Friday morning and willing to pass through Warner Springs? oh ya, and have room for a hiker and his pack?

I was just going to start asking on the pct-l as the time grew nearer, but this thread seems like an appropriate place to try and arrange a ride.
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Images

I doubt you'll have a hard time finding a ride from Warner Springs. It helps if you're along the street, but last year there were people going into the various gathering places there looking for people to pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I doubt you'll have a hard time finding a ride from Warner Springs. It helps if you're along the street, but last year there were people going into the various gathering places there looking for people to pick up.
    That's kind of what I suspected would happen, but it can't hurt to know someone will be coming through Warner Springs. Should I try to get to WS early on Thursday (meaning still afternoon), or would it be fine to be there Friday morning?

Images

I'm sure both will be okay. Getting there on Thursday will be nice if you get there with a group. Then you can stay there for the night, get clean, get a hot meal and enjoy a long soak in the hot pool...your feet will thank you for the soak.

Images

Default Definitely Go to ADZPCTKO!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke_AZ View Post
    I've put off asking about this. Is anyone heading to KO Thursday evening or Friday morning and willing to pass through Warner Springs? oh ya, and have room for a hiker and his pack?

I was just going to start asking on the pct-l as the time grew nearer, but this thread seems like an appropriate place to try and arrange a ride.
    There will also be a ride board on the ADZPCTKO website when the update it for this year.
    I hitched back to ADZPCTKO from Warner Springs in 2009 and it was an awesome way to be ahead of the crowd(There really is not a crowd) on trail.
    Getting back from ADZPCTKO is even easier as they will put up a ride board in the campground and you will not have any problems getting back on trail.
    By the way, if you decide to start the PCT during Kick Off there are people giving rides from Lake Morena to the Border every day.. just ask around and you will get a ride no problem.
    I have been to the 2009 and 2010 ADZPCTKO (Annual Day Zero Pacific Crest Trail Kick Off) and it is an awesome low key event. There are a few vendors present but there was ZERO pressure to buy anything. However, It is a great place to check out cottage industry gear before you decide to buy.
    My fellow PCT hikers who were AT veterans said it was like a small version of Trail Daze without the drums and Led Zepplin music all night long.
    I highly recommend the ADZPCTKO whether you are hiking, hopeful, or just love hanging out with a bunch of great folks.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    There will also be a ride board on the ADZPCTKO website when the update it for this year.
    I hitched back to ADZPCTKO from Warner Springs in 2009 and it was an awesome way to be ahead of the crowd(There really is not a crowd) on trail.
    Getting back from ADZPCTKO is even easier as they will put up a ride board in the campground and you will not have any problems getting back on trail.
    By the way, if you decide to start the PCT during Kick Off there are people giving rides from Lake Morena to the Border every day.. just ask around and you will get a ride no problem.
    I have been to the 2009 and 2010 ADZPCTKO (Annual Day Zero Pacific Crest Trail Kick Off) and it is an awesome low key event. There are a few vendors present but there was ZERO pressure to buy anything. However, It is a great place to check out cottage industry gear before you decide to buy.
    My fellow PCT hikers who were AT veterans said it was like a small version of Trail Daze without the drums and Led Zepplin music all night long.
    I highly recommend the ADZPCTKO whether you are hiking, hopeful, or just love hanging out with a bunch of great folks.
    Thanks Iceaxe

So there is an online ride board? OK, I guess I could have waited a bit longer. I suspected a ride wouldn't be too tough. It's reassuring to hear it won't be.

I'm not really trying to stay ahead of the pack or anything. My start date is somewhat fixed. It's my birthday, and I'd really really like to give myself the gift of the PCT

Images

Default Crazy coincidence!

Thats Crazy! I chose April 16th 2009 to start my PCT hike(actually fly to San Diego that day) because it was my 40th birthday!
    Great minds think alike!
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Thats Crazy! I chose April 16th 2009 to start my PCT hike(actually fly to San Diego that day) because it was my 40th birthday!
    Great minds think alike!
    Or we both had our mid life crisis at age 40?

Lucky for me, it appears as though I'm going to granted a leave of absence, so maybe the "crisis" won't be as severe as originally planned

"My fellow PCT hikers who were AT veterans said it was like a small version of Trail Daze without the drums and Led Zepplin music all night long."
    I've never looked at the numbers, but the ADZKO didn't look all that "small" to me.

Music all night long: at least in 2008, the ADZKO had a separate area for folks who wanted to party late. And lots and lots of current year hikers all tenting in the same area together. I liked this a whole lot better than Trail Days last year in Damascus, where there was no quiet area ("the drums! ah, the drums" I kept expecting orcs from Khazadum), and there were few current-year thru-hikers that I could find, and the few that were there weren't together.

ADZKO is an event that's substantially focused on current-year hikers at or near the beginning of their trip. Trail Days is an event that's all about past hikers, and for me came at a point where I was well over half-way done with my trip (PA).
    Ironically, as a current-year hiker I actually felt almost out of place at Trail Days, wanting to go to sleep and wake up a lot earlier than those around me, eating voraciously, just a little out of step with what others were into.

Don't get me wrong, both are great events, and I guess Trail Days had more equipment vendors showing off their wares, more food options, live music, a fun parade etc, but I definitely liked the ADZKO better nonetheless.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Great minds think alike!
    Me too. Well 4/16 will make me 30 when I go next year!

Images

On June 17, 1804 William Clark of the Lewis & Clark Expedition wrote,

"The party is much afflicted with Boils and Several have the Decissentary,
    which I contribute to the water."

On June 17, 1804 William Clark of the Lewis & Clark Expedition wrote,
    ummmmmm... huh?

Images

I accidentally posted that in this thread. I reported it to the mods right after posting it.

I accidentally posted that in this thread. I reported it to the mods right after posting it.
    Darn. I was hoping Clark was coming to KO!

Bill Walker

Spoke with the PCT this week. It's a sellout. Gotta' be a thru-hiker, if you're not registered. The good news is the PCT has completely evaded the recession!

Skywalker--Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest Trail

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++