WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Stoves on the AT - why?

I read these forums and I am always puzzled by why people bring stoves on their thru hikers. Even the ultra-light ounce-counting folks would bring with them 10oz of stove and fuel. I have been backpacking since age 7 and never have carried a stove with me on any of my hikes (with the exception of Brooks Range in Alaska where in most places there just isn't anything around that would burn). Almost anywhere on the AT I can start a fire and boil a pot of water faster than with an alcohol stove. There really isn't a whole lot to it. Dig a small hole in suitable soil, set a pot over the hole keeping the pot handle between two rocks (at least as heavy as the full pot), and feed the fire. Keep the fire small. Water will boil in 5 min. When done, fill the whole with soil, spread leaves around, and nobody can tell you cooked there.

So I am wondering, why does almost everyone use stoves?

Quote Originally Posted by lebeda View Post
    Almost anywhere on the AT I can start a fire and boil a pot of water faster than with an alcohol stove.
    If you are talking about having to make the alohol stove from scratch at camp I would agree.

Other than that, I call BS.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    If you are talking about having to make the alohol stove from scratch at camp I would agree.

Other than that, I call BS.
    1+

You beat me to it ChinMusic.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

. . . .So I am wondering, why does almost everyone use stoves?
    Hike your own hike, do your own thing, to each their own, etc.

. . . .I call BS.
    Totally!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Because finding dry burning material can be impossible sometimes?? Because they want to be absolutely sure of a hot drink/meal and not hope that they can find the right stuff to start a fire? Because they can??
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Because finding dry burning material can be impossible sometimes??
    You don't really need dry material. Tiny dead pine branches will easily burn when wet. Once you get those going, the slightly larger sticks will burn easily wet as well - the water evaporates very quickly once in the fire. A lot of people won't believe me - but try it out yourself. Prepare a small bundle of wood sticks of varying sizes from tiny to pencil wide. Dunk the whole bundle in a creek for a minute. Then use it for a fire. You'd be surprised how easily you can get the wood to burn.

Because they want to be absolutely sure of a hot drink/meal and not hope that they can find the right stuff to start a fire?
    You may not find enough dry wood right by a shelter, but all it takes is going 50 yards away to collect enough suitable dead wood. You don't need much.

Because they can??
    Well, I'll give you that. That's probably the only reason I can think of.

Images

+2 on the BS.

Images

I read these forums and I am always puzzled by why people bring stoves on their thru hikers. Even the ultra-light ounce-counting folks would bring with them 10oz of stove and fuel. I have been backpacking since age 7 and never have carried a stove with me on any of my hikes (with the exception of Brooks Range in Alaska where in most places there just isn't anything around that would burn). Almost anywhere on the AT I can start a fire and boil a pot of water faster than with an alcohol stove. There really isn't a whole lot to it. Dig a small hole in suitable soil, set a pot over the hole keeping the pot handle between two rocks (at least as heavy as the full pot), and feed the fire. Keep the fire small. Water will boil in 5 min. When done, fill the whole with soil, spread leaves around, and nobody can tell you cooked there.

1) Bans on open fires.
    2) Bans / restrictions on open fires except in established fire rings.
    3) Availability of dry fuel
    4) Convenience
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Leave No Trace.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pommes View Post
    Leave No Trace.
    +1

Thats the biggest reason.

Plus, fires get your pots all sooty. And who wants to look for fire wood everytime they want a hot meal?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Pommes View Post
    Leave No Trace.
    The trick is to keep the fire small - no larger than the size of the pot. A hole 4'' deep is enough. When all done and covered with leaves and debris, there is absolutely no trace left.

The trick is to keep the fire small - no larger than the size of the pot. A hole 4'' deep is enough. When all done and covered with leaves and debris, there is absolutely no trace left.
    Now i sense a troll.
    Covering your fire with leaves and debris.
    Yeah right!
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Now i sense a troll.
    Yeah right!
    Not a troll. I have been doing it this way for 25 years. I, of course, put out any hot embers with water. Then fill the hole with the dirt I dug out previously. Spread leaves around. No trace at all.

Images

Not a troll. I have been doing it this way for 25 years. I, of course, put out any hot embers with water. Then fill the hole with the dirt I dug out previously. Spread leaves around. No trace at all.
    Some 4 million people hike some part of the AT every year according to ATC. If only 1 million hike overnight and use your method, that's 1 million more fire scars every year. That's a big "trace", whether it's covered over for visual appeal or not. It's not just about one individual doing it, it's about diminishing the impact of everyone that uses the trail. To do so, everyone needs to cooperate and not make new fire sites, regardless of how small, and regardless of how minuscule their personal opinion of their impact is.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Now i sense a troll.
    Yeah right!
    He pees on it first.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

He pees on it first.
    I'm surprised he didn't beat you to that one..lol...He has all the other answers...lol..

Journal Entries
    Images

Now i sense a troll.
    Yeah right!
    no look at the number of posts - he's new.

back 50+ years ago - you would be right, make a fire carry a billy can and that was the way on the Govt. Trail. And finding fuel is easier today then back then. Why? before the fire service & having fire towers regular fires would remove all the debris and sticks leaving the trees. Hense the need for a small stove because collecting wood ment the stupid idea of breaking off live tree branches, if you could not find seasoned wood on the ground. Stoves got us all away from that, and the lack of backwoods fires has changed the landscape. Although a stove is part of the big four, It is still considered a big time saver and reduces the chance of setting a forest fire. Although you have a skill for making a hobo fire, many do not, could you imagine the risk if we all did what you do? I don't have a problem at all with what you are doing, but expect some harsh criticism on the AT if you are seen doing it by other hikers. That's my guess.\

It's more about the safety of the environment, so all can enjoy.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    ...Although a stove is part of the big four, It is still considered a big time saver and reduces the chance of setting a forest fire.
    Actually, no, a stove isn't one of the "big four".

Those would be pack, shelter, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    no look at the number of posts - he's new.

back 50+ years ago - you would be right, make a fire carry a billy can and that was the way on the Govt. Trail. .........
    Great point WOO. Makes me think the next bit of advice will be to dig a trench around your tent.

Too funny!!!!
    Last edited by Spokes; 01-24-2011 at 08:26.

Images

Unless you wait for it to burn out completely, and then broadcast the ashes, it is still considered a pollutant.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++