WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Foothills Trail - access points

Due to the snow in GSMNP we're going to go further south next week and hike the Foothills Trail.

My son has 4 days off work but we'd like to finish the trail on day 3 so he can get home and have a day to get ready to go back to work.

We're going to get picked up at Table Rock State Park so I'm looking for an *easy* to find place to get on the trail 15-20 miles from Oconee State Park.

I hiked the entire trail last year but didn't pay attention to the road crossings and trailheads - all I remember is crossing Hwy 107 a few times (I think...)

Any suggestions for an easy to find trailhead that'll shorten the hike to the 50-60 mile length?

Images

Burrells Ford would be an easy access point. I believe its approximately 13-15 miles from Oconee.

Fish Hatchery Road access would be 20.3 miles from Oconee State Park.

I'm not sure I would want to leave a vehicle parked at that spot though as it isn't very far off the main road Highway 107. You could be dropped off at Fish Hatchery Road and leave a vehicle at Table Rock State Park.

I'm thinking Burrell's Ford would be about right - does anyone know if there is a sign on 107 marking the turn? It's a gravel rd I believe.

Also, from what I can tell the trail is actually several miles up the road??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I'm thinking Burrell's Ford would be about right - does anyone know if there is a sign on 107 marking the turn? It's a gravel rd I believe.

Also, from what I can tell the trail is actually several miles up the road??
    I can't remember if the road is marked or not. You'll travel several miles on the gravel road and come to a large gravel parking lot near the Chattooga River. The trail crosses the road right at this parking lot.

Default Burrells Ford Rd

The first part of the road off of 107 is paved and there is a road sign for the road. If you go to Google maps and look at the street view you will see what the intersection looks like.

"Burrells Ford Road / South Carolina 107, Mountain Rest, South Carolina, United States"

I couldn't get streetview to work with that address but you've given me plenty enough info to find it - thanks!

Appreciate the quick replies everyone.

Burrell's Ford is 16.4 miles east of Oconee and about 60 miles west of Table Rock. I read your post to be two nights and three days of hiking. We are having short daylight hours now. If you are sure you can do 20 mile days then Burrell's Ford road is OK. Both Bad Creek (about 45 miles west of Table Rock) and Whitewater Falls, (about 47 miles west of Table Rock) have good parking. These two alternative drop off points would give you 15 mile days, which is plenty for me with the short daylight hours now existing.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Due to the snow in GSMNP we're going to go further south next week and hike the Foothills Trail.

My son has 4 days off work but we'd like to finish the trail on day 3 so he can get home and have a day to get ready to go back to work.

We're going to get picked up at Table Rock State Park so I'm looking for an *easy* to find place to get on the trail 15-20 miles from Oconee State Park.

I hiked the entire trail last year but didn't pay attention to the road crossings and trailheads - all I remember is crossing Hwy 107 a few times (I think...)

Any suggestions for an easy to find trailhead that'll shorten the hike to the 50-60 mile length?
    10K, I live close enough to help you with shuttling or picking up or dropping off. The info listed above is right on. The road was marked the last time we were up there, but who knows now. It is on the left going north on 107 after a long slight uphill straightaway. Let me know if I can help.

litefoot 2000

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot 2000 View Post
    10K, I live close enough to help you with shuttling or picking up or dropping off. The info listed above is right on. The road was marked the last time we were up there, but who knows now. It is on the left going north on 107 after a long slight uphill straightaway. Let me know if I can help.

litefoot 2000
    Thanks litefooot - I think we've got it under control. My daughter and her boyfriend are going to drop us off Sunday morning and my wife is going to pick us up when we're done.

After all this my son is acting like he wants to hike the entire trail and doesn't mind finishing on the 4th day. I'm letting him call the shots since taking the time off is a bigger sacrifice for him than me.

But just in case I now am pretty sure I can find Burrell's Ford Rd if we shorten the hike.

The trail crosses Burrell's Rd at the parking lot for the campground. The parking lot is on the left 1/4 mile prior to the river bridge, has bear proof trash cans and a privey.
    From the parking lot, cross the road and you'll be headed correctly.
    Too bad you'll miss the river sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearly Normal View Post
    The trail crosses Burrell's Rd at the parking lot for the campground. The parking lot is on the left 1/4 mile prior to the river bridge, has bear proof trash cans and a privey.
    From the parking lot, cross the road and you'll be headed correctly.
    Too bad you'll miss the river sections.
    We're doing the entire trail now.

note Burrell Ford sign down off 107 landmarks are 2 mile N or Cherry Rec and 2 mi S of Fish Hatchery on 107

Looks like great weather for our FHT hike this coming week... Temps in the 50's and 60's during the day and 30's at night.

Much better than here or in GSMNP where we were headed.

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

have fun! i did the fht last month and had a blast.
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

10-K. My son and I have 4 days end of April and have been debating a 40-60 mile hike on the BMT or AT. However, I'm not familiar with the Pinhoti Trial and just looked at the site. The scenery and water looks great! We were considering Deep Gap to NOC on the AT or Tellico River Rd to US 29 on the BMT. I read where you have hiked the whole Pinhoti Trail and wanted your thoughts. Might be a good alternative that I had not considered.

Didn't mean to just ask 10-K either. Anyone familiar with these options, I would enjoy hearing your input. Thanks!

Haven't had enough coffee. I meant Foothills Trail. I was looking at Pinhoti when I ran into this thread on the FT.

I've hiked the Foothills Trail end to end twice now and mile for mile it's the best 75 miles of continuous trail I've ever hiked.

There's really nothing not to like about it - I guess if I HAD to pick nits I'd say that due to the relatively low elevation there aren't a lot of mountain views but IMO that is more than compensated by the overall remote feel of the trail and if you're a waterfall person this is the place to be.

Plenty of great campsites, water is plentiful and the waterfalls are outstanding. The trail is very well blazed and maintained too.

I highly recommend starting at Oconee State Park and hiking to Table Rock. Even though there are few hard climbs if you hike it east to west you're going to be walking uphill, even if only very slightly, at least 70% of the time. My son hiked it with me last month and commented several times on how we always seemed to be walking downhill. (both times I've hiked it west to east)

Oh, get the guidebook and if you feel like splurging the map but the guidebook has mini-maps and is really all you need.

I'm a little concerned on time. We live in northwest GA and would need to factor in travel time. Maybe I could pick him up from work in ATL on a Wed. night and head up towwards Oconee and find lodging. That would mean we could hit the trail early Thurs. but would need to be off the trail by mid-Sun to allow transport back to Oconee and travel time home. It looks like the trail is a bit easier but we sure don't want to kill ourselves. Also might bring the packing rods to fish.....maybe?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++