WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 04-28-2012 at 05:50.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

One problem with dog owners, especially the owners of more agressive breeds, is that their dogs are like their children. And we all see how people treat their very poorly behaved children. They say things like "that's just how kids are" or "if you had kids you'd know" as if the rest of the world is just required to put up with their behavior.

I too would have shot this dog, and then asked the owner to pay for the bullet.

And people with agressive breeds have a HUGE disconnect between how their dog reacts to them and their family and how their dog reacts to strangers. They know their dog would never hurt them or their kids, so they apply that to everyone else, and when an incident happens like this, their response is naturally "he would never do that" or "he's never done that before."

Something to keep in mind is that people aren't any better about raising their dogs than they are their children...and well, just look at how many children are behaved these days. So its not surprising that people defend their dog's bad behavior because they defend the bad behavior of their children.

Images

This is horrible!

It makes me want to make sure I always remember my mace. I mostly carry it in case I were to run into a bear because even basic pepper spray can create a cloud barrier in front of you that may deter an approaching bear. However, I guess it would be useful to create an aggressive dog shield.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    This is horrible!

It makes me want to make sure I always remember my mace.

Is it made with titanium? May be too heavy to pack otherwise....

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Don't worry. It's actually collapsible.

Nevertheless, I haven't reached Jedi status yet, but I'm hoping to force punt mean dogs in the near future. Regardless, I'm yet to have dog attack me, encountering mostly small yappy dogs.

Images

You know, since I've been hiking in Montana, I've taken to carrying bear spray. (I saw grizzly bear triplets this morning! They looked at me with friendly curiosity. I didn't see the mama, but kept moving smartly along in the belief that she was probably watching me!) It has occurred to me more than once that it would drop a dog in its tracks, and the dog owner, too.
    Last edited by Marta; 08-19-2012 at 23:42.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    This is horrible!

It makes me want to make sure I always remember my mace. I mostly carry it in case I were to run into a bear because even basic pepper spray can create a cloud barrier in front of you that may deter an approaching bear. However, I guess it would be useful to create an aggressive dog shield.
    You Know as well as I do, that I have to drive past your place to hike the AT.... You can tell from my previous posts on this thread how I feel about the whole thing. Stuff that happens here on WB - has very little impact on actually hiking the trail. Your thoughts of needing mace ...well I won't be hiking with you in the near future.

Marta needs the mace... I have hiked there too... the furry beasts are bigger....

go back a few pages....GROW A PAIR!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

This is the reason have worked daily with my dog since he was three months old to train him appropriately. When we hike now I keep him on a 3 foot lead and he knows how to behave around others on the trail. When someone passes by, we stop and he sits by my side until they have gone. (Can make busy trails slow but that is the price you pay for taking a dog hiking around other people) if someone wants to pet him I warn them that he is still learning not to jump up on people and that he still mouths when excited. I make sure not to put him in a situation whe that will happen. I have not had any problems with him and others have commented on how well behaved he is. It is the owner's fault when a dog misbehaves, not the dog, though unfortunatly it is usually the dog that pays the consequences.

thanks,

--louis

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    You Know as well as I do, that I have to drive past your place to hike the AT.... You can tell from my previous posts on this thread how I feel about the whole thing. Stuff that happens here on WB - has very little impact on actually hiking the trail. Your thoughts of needing mace ...well I won't be hiking with you in the near future.

Marta needs the mace... I have hiked there too... the furry beasts are bigger....

go back a few pages....GROW A PAIR!

There is nothing wrong with carrying pepper spray. I think it is the responsible thing to do in the event of some sort of wildlife issue, not to mention I have also seen many others carrying it while hiking.

Now I remember why I stopped visiting WB, even though I appreciated the wealth of information and kind people who visit the site. More specifically, I recall you replying to just about every thread on the forum with an overly opinionated response, abusively commenting someone's view that conflicts with yours. Seems as though things haven't changed and there is still plenty of time in someones day to troll every thread on this forum.

Journal Entries
    Images

You may be right, but basic pepper spray wont stop a dog or bear. why? the pocket versions "cloud" is for human to human interactions - the one they issue for Postal employees (larger) is a stream just as the ones for police. None of it short of the mini fire extinguisher will stop a charging animal. And it is not needed to hike the trail. I rarely see others carrying and if it makes you feel better to carry and that makes me a troll so be it.

I have toned it down over the last year.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

The reason I carry one is because there have been documented instances where spraying pepper spray in front of you can ward off an attack. Even if it is a direct stream, it dissipates into a cloud that will ward off an animal that may be a bit too curious. I would think it is better than packing a pistol to shoot such an animal. Perhaps this may give an overly curious animal a bad association with humans, keeping them out of harm's way.

first off i am a dog lover, i have 2 boarder collies who are very smart, and obey my commands. and are still ALWAYS on a 6 ft'r. but if my dog attacked someone. i would expect them to do just as i would. shoot the damn thing. and this is another good example of why i carry concealed.

Default It's a shame a hikers dog is the only animal on the trail to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by alphaPig74 View Post
    Hi all,

I was 4 miles into a day hike 2 weeks ago hiking north into Daleville, VA, when I came across a group of guys and their dog coming the other way. The dog (big rottweiler) tensed up then ran over and bit me on the shin. Had a nasty hole in my leg gushing blood. Still had 8 miles to go (couldnt turn back, was dropped off and going one way toasted my car), so had to bandage it up and carry on. My leg hurt but I made it just fine, stopping to rebandage once or twice. Ended up getting rabies shots, that's been a party.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask what, if there are any, are the rules about dogs and leashes on the trail. I assume this may differ from state to state? Just curious.
    The "rules" are there are no "rules". It's YOUR responsibility to defend yourself. If you think hiker's are in control of their animal(s), and that they even give a rip, then I'm sorry for you. These are just some of the people who make others afraid, especially children out with their parents. It's a shame when it gets to the point that the only animals a hiker is concerned about is another's dog.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++