WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Dogs on leashes?

Hi all,

I was 4 miles into a day hike 2 weeks ago hiking north into Daleville, VA, when I came across a group of guys and their dog coming the other way. The dog (big rottweiler) tensed up then ran over and bit me on the shin. Had a nasty hole in my leg gushing blood. Still had 8 miles to go (couldnt turn back, was dropped off and going one way toasted my car), so had to bandage it up and carry on. My leg hurt but I made it just fine, stopping to rebandage once or twice. Ended up getting rabies shots, that's been a party.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask what, if there are any, are the rules about dogs and leashes on the trail. I assume this may differ from state to state? Just curious.

This story makes my blood boil.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

dogs should always be on a leash. always

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    dogs should always be on a leash. always
    i would've shot the dog. and would have been well within my rights

Images

The people didn't stop to see if you were okay? Didn't get their names or anything? You could call the county sheriff / animal control. Funny how they often know who the likely dog and owner is.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

VA doesn't have state leash laws - it's by local gov - county / town / etc.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

-

Did they say- oh my dog NEVER does that? like you know - you caused it - one of my favorite dog owner cop outs

Images

sorry to hear that. dogs are to be on 6' leach. since you got the shots and are still on them wasn't the authorities and health board notified. i would something.
    i love dogs, but LW is right i would of shot it.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Rotty or no dog woulda been missing an eye.
    "some editing should be done in parentheses for clarity where spelling prevents reading."---matthewski

And THIS is why so many hikers with dogs are looked down upon by non-dog hikers. More than once I have met up with a non-leashed dog who comes bounding down the trail at us (my LEASHED dog and I) and every single time I hear the same crap that "we didn't see you coming" and "he never does that!" It never fails that my dog has to defend himself and me from whatever dog has come after us and not one person has ever seen that they are the problem because they didn't leash their dog. Grrr. I would never let my dog off a leash, I don't understand why others think it is okay and let their dog run up ahead to find whatever trouble they can get into. Personally, I think everyone and their dog should have at least gone through Canine Good Citizens training but alas, the world is full of those who think they are above the rules.

I'm so sorry you were bit. I hope you have healed well. I would have shot that dog and not thought twice about it.
    "Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
    - Frank Scully

Wow, I didn't realize it was at a local / county level. That's a shame it's not at least state wide, so one could more easily know / reiterate the rules to owners.

For the record, they were apologetic (although, could've been moreso) and offered supplies. Doesn't make it right, but I should've at least mentioned it. I wish no ill will to the dog, but I sure hope those hikers had a TERRIBLE hike.

For my own part, no, I didn't press for their info. VERY stupid on my part, certainly not to be repeated should this happen again. I was just so focussed on "stop the bleeding!!" and "will I be good for another 8 miles?" and "I wonder how my leg tastes!". I simply didn't ask before they'd moved on. I consider the wonderful rabies shots to be payment for that stupidity. Just for the record, no shots in the stomach, just several around the wound, one in the arm, and one in the backside on the first visit, followed by 3 more arm shots over the following weeks.

Leg's going to have a somewhat nasty scar, but it wasn't from me tripping or something stupid like that! Lesson learned though... DEFINITELY will be more hesitant when I see them on the trail and will let dog owners know what happened should I come across them so they think twice before unleashing their dogs.

I would have planted both my poles firmly in the chest of that dog... Then taken the collar of the dog to ensure that it's shots are up to date to avoid getting the shots myself..

What an unfortunate event Alphapig, but I bet it won't be your last run in with irresponsible dog owners and poorly trained dogs while hiking unfortunately... I'm not sure i've ever been on a hike more than a day without running into at least one unleached dog...

My hiking partner and wifey is terrified of unknown dogs, and this is always an issue on every hike... So frustrating...

Dog owners: KEEP YOUR DOG ON A 6' LEAD AT ALL TIMES! Have a little respect for someone other than yourself...

Images

Make an example of this dog. I have a dog and enjoy him very much but any dog that is human aggressive will continue to be and the next time it may be a childs face. .40 cal would solve the problem and possibly protect a child and perfectly legal if you feel threatened or have been bitten.

A few cases of agressive dogs being shot should promote the leashing of aggressive dogs. btw I have no issues with unleashed dogs on the trail as long as the are non-agressive to humans or other dogs. Unleashed at a shelter may be a different story.

Doc Mike

I see a dog attacking no different than a bear attack -- fight back. And dogs are really easy to hurt, they have no paws, they don't have much mass, not even the big dogs. People are just too fearful of them jaws, but they're very vunerable, unless of course if they are in a pack, then a gun is a really good thing to have.

You can talk all you want about leash laws, but the plain and simple fact is that that won't protect you. I would have taught that mut some respect. I'm not just talking, I've been bitten while running and riding, it's just a fact of life and no amount of laws will change that.

BTW, when I say "no paws" I'm referring to bear-like paws. Unlike a bear the paws of a dog is not much of a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    Make an example of this dog. I have a dog and enjoy him very much but any dog that is human aggressive will continue to be and the next time it may be a childs face. .40 cal would solve the problem and possibly protect a child and perfectly legal if you feel threatened or have been bitten.

A few cases of agressive dogs being shot should promote the leashing of aggressive dogs. btw I have no issues with unleashed dogs on the trail as long as the are non-agressive to humans or other dogs. Unleashed at a shelter may be a different story.

Doc Mike
    Same here, I'm not anti-dog, I think dogs are really cool, but if the dog is aggressive he needs to be schooled.

Images

My blood boils, too, when reading stuff like this. On the trail in WV I came upon a group of 3 with a Rott. Made me a bit nervous but was most appreciative when they all stopped and pulled over and held tightly on to his leash. But like many of us how many times did I hear "he/she doesn't jump and/or bite" only to have the dog jump up on me (but thankfully no bites....yet?). I'm short, I don't need no stinkin' golden lab pouncing on me. That one wasn't leashed.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Journal Entries
    Images

If a dog attacks like that he/she should be put down. The next time it could be child. I think I'm going to start carying Pepper Spray. Not only for the dog but owner as well!

This Saturday I had an encounter with two aggressive dogs on the Pinhote Trail on Mt. Cheaha in Alabama. It was on state park land on McDill Point. At the trailhead there is a sign clearly requiring all dogs to be on a lead. The owners were camped on top of the hill about 100' from the trail. We heard the dogs barking when we stopped on various overlooks but when we got near their campsite two dogs, a Weimaraner and a white log like a Lab came charging down the hill barking, ears laid back, teeth bared. We called out to the owners to control their dogs. When the dogs got way too close for comfort my brother started trying to discourage them by throwing rocks in their direction. I was ready to fend them off with my hiking stick. The owner's response was that we didn't need to throw rocks at his dog. If I had been packing a pistol they would both have been quite justifiablydead. We heard from another hiker that later on the dogs bit someone, but this is not confirmed.

This is the first time I've encountered aggressive, out-of-control dogs in the backcountry. I'm seriously considering carrying pepper spray from now on.

BTW, later on we met two other hikers who were walking with large dogs. They commanded the dogs to sit, hooked on their leads, came up to us. Everything was fine. I do really like dogs, just not when they are out-of-control and charging with teeth bared.

Images

In Mass. leash laws are set by the town. I think the state law says something like, must be under 'owner's control' in public places. A lot of the AT goes through state parks, for example for Mt. Graylock:
    Pets are permitted. Must be on a 10-foot maximum leash and attended at all times. Must have proof of current Rabies vaccine.
    Sorry you had this problem. I've only had dog problems while bicycling. I have seen dogs whose paws were being torn up on the rocky local trails.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++