WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Database guidebook idea - what are your thoughts?

Greetings all, I was a bit put off with the written insults about Wingfoot. I met the man in 1992 when I was doing the Smokies. I really dont know what has happened between then and now but we must give him the respect due. I don't care about who he sleeps with or his politics, just as long as he would help any one of us on the Trail. I was surprised and so put off that I was thinking over my membership to this site. How can anyone compare Wingfoot to Ward Lenord!! I met Ward in the mid 90's and no way could anyone compare him to Wingfoot. I completed my 13 year section hike in 2001. I started in 2002 for a second AT try. 2005 my friend Huff & Puff and I will do over 100 days from Aug-Nov, completing his first AT hike. His will take 16 years. I have met many hikers both thru and section. Look we are all out there to enjoy the moment and all get along. I hope the magic does totally leave when we are home. Happy New Years. Lawman (Gary) Chesapeake, va.

Images

Well there has been some mud slinging and a few unofficial attempts by some to turn this into an anti-WF site, something I always try to turn aside with a general comment. We figure it is better to try and let general free speech reign here whenever possible even if it means letting some people talk when they use the wrong part of their anatomy for thought and speech. We would rather folks see stuff they disagree with than to force feed a general consensus from the top. There are also folks here that give WF respect as well, so don't let it get you that you read some negative stuff about him. Quite probably there is negative things about me on the net, but that is part of doing something like a web site. Anyway, if that philosophy doesn't suit you, this might not be the site for you, but I can guarantee you won't have posts deleted or be banned for disagreeing with me or ATTroll unless you just get totally vulgar or something similar.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by lawman
    Greetings all, I was a bit put off with the written insults about Wingfoot. I met the man in 1992 when I was doing the Smokies. I really dont know what has happened between then and now but we must give him the respect due. I don't care about who he sleeps with or his politics, just as long as he would help any one of us on the Trail. I was surprised and so put off that I was thinking over my membership to this site. How can anyone compare Wingfoot to Ward Lenord!! I met Ward in the mid 90's and no way could anyone compare him to Wingfoot. I completed my 13 year section hike in 2001. I started in 2002 for a second AT try. 2005 my friend Huff & Puff and I will do over 100 days from Aug-Nov, completing his first AT hike. His will take 16 years. I have met many hikers both thru and section. Look we are all out there to enjoy the moment and all get along. I hope the magic does totally leave when we are home. Happy New Years. Lawman (Gary) Chesapeake, va.
    Nice that you can talk about Wingfoot here. If you mentioned Whiteblaze at Trailplace, your post would be deleted, and if you tried again you would be banned. Like my ex-mother-in-law, WF is great as long as you agree with him, but all bets are off when you say/do something of which he doesn't approve. I like it here where you can post about the way you like to hike, even if it isn't the way the moderator would like to hike, and would never go back to Trailplace. I doubt if anyone there has missed me.
    Frosty

Default Intelligent decision making..

It’s definitely a 2-edged sword when it comes to free speech. I’ve been watching both sites for a few years… Personality, I think WB strikes a nice sense of balance.
    1<SUP>st</SUP>, there’s a good group of people who’ve thru hiked, section hiked, in the planning stages and everything in between. The voices you hear from WB are from a large group and not just a few. I think, the thought is, given the amount of information a person can obtain from this site; they can then make an intelligent decision for themselves.

Like was stated, whenever you have free speech, then people no doubt at times, will say stupid, hurtful, off the wall and unintelligent statements. Which everyone (Self included) is capable of doing from time to time. However, if it goes off topic, then there’s a place to take the matter and discuss it there. I think there is enough maturity here, given time, for people to sort it out themselves. I’ve read his policy and I understand what WF is trying to accomplish. To put it simply, IMO, I don’t think, “The end justifies the means’.

I agree I think what is best for new and old hikers alike as it relates to the trail should be the main focus. I feel, WB tries to maintain this focus by letting the individual voices of the hikers be heard.. This topic has been debated both here and on the trail forever. From everything I’ve heard and read, and so much discussion, I doubt, many people will change the way they think or feel. <O</O
    However, at lease here, it can be discussed. I’ve read through all the threads in the forums on this discussion about WF, (Trust me, there is plenty) and anyone can do a WhiteBlaze search on Wingfoot and you’re off and running. You’ll find more then enough info there on people’s thoughts on this subject. I would suggest, if you can’t find an answer to a question or a comment or thought on this matter, which hasn’t been made at lease a few times, then come back and ask a question. Just my though on the matter..

PS I've been having trouble with the size of the fonts on my posts... If someone is having trouble reading this, please let me know...

Images

Check your browser font. If you are using IE, look under "View" then "Text Size". See if it is set to Smaller or Smallest.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Greetings all, I was a bit put off with the written insults about Wingfoot.
    70 thousand some odd posts here, and 99.99% don't mention W***F*** at all. Only 169 references, according to the WhiteBlaze search feature. Beer has been mentioned 1500 more times than W***F***, so you can see what really matters to AT hikers.
    What did you think about the tin can stove posts? The hammock posts? How about the Gathering and Ruck posts? What about the posts about coffee, peak bagging, trip reports, maildrops, trail angeling, hitch-hiking, southbounding, start dates, PUDs, dogs, boots, tents, tarps, Lekis, leave-no-trace, the AMC, the ATC, land trusts, photography, cell phones, canoe rides, hostels, shelters, GPS devices, AYCEs, slackpacking, beards, music players, rashes, books, DVDs, and yogi-ing?
    Congrats on your section hikes lawman, and welcome to WhiteBlaze.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Default Folks here are easy on WF

You want to read insults here. Just say you hike with a dog and watch the insults fly. Oops, gotta go....incoming!

Journal Entries
    Images

wbdent I am asking kindly here. Lets please not start a Wingfoot bashing thread out of this again. If anyone wants to read the past bashings then do a search on this site for the name "wingfoot" and you can read what has already been said 1,000 times. Sorry to be a pain about this, but how many times can only beat a horse with the same stick. Well I think that is the pharse.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Default ATtroll

Just let everyone keep posting whatever they like. Nobody is making anyone read any posts!

Thank you Administrators for all you do...

Jack

ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

Lighten up. As you said, you haven't met or spoken to the man in 13 years. Keep in mind that a lot could have changed since then. I met him five years ago and have traded emails with him more recent than that. I think the guy is a self-centered jerk. You think he is a stand up guy. I have my reasons (non of which have to do with who he sleeps with or his politics), and you have yours. We can agree to disagree without getting offended or put off.

Good luck on your second AT hike attempt, congrats to your friend, and happy new year.

Images

i have never met wingfoot,but i have heard a lot of funny jokes about him

neo

Default Database guidebook idea - what are your thoughts?

Wingfoot created a format that speaks in an absolute way the etiquette and responsibility of hikers. He doesn't tolerate other opinions or debate the issues. It's his way or the highway. Having said that he has introduced important issues to an awful lot of hikers. When I hiked the LT in 99 I did it with only the misinformation I had learned in the military and scouting. My gear and my approach to hiking made it harder on the environment and me than it needed to be. In the course of my 99 hike other hikers told me about Wingfoots site. The issues discussed on Wingfoots site got me to rethink what I'd been doing. I agree with some of his opinions and disagree with others. The important thing was that he got me to change what I'd been doing. The odd thing is that when Winter, Tuk and I talked to him on his porch in 2000 he was very personable and easy to talk to. He talked about hikes that he'd made with most all the things that he rants about on his site. There was a lot more "hike your own hike" in person than on his site. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

I appreciate the information that I got from his site but I didn't appreciate it when my journal got dumped before I got it copied.

Superman and Winter GA>ME 2000

Default Just use it...

It’s really very simple for individuals to make a decision on which site they like best. Just use it. Post questions and comments there and here. If you feel your needs are being met, your questions are being answered, then great. If not, do a Google and find what you want, and move on.

Default Give it a Break

Is there any chance that this could be the last post concerning WF for the year 2004? Is there anyone who hasn't voiced their opinion in the past and doesn't know what others think and feel? ATTroll is right. It has all been said before over and over including by yours truly. Lawman has a right to his opinion as do all of us. What is really important is how we treat each other when we come together on the trail. Give it a rest
    Foot Notes

Images

Amen. Like talking about WF makes it any easier to hike or makes your hike more enjoyable. Seems more likely the rants about him produce nothing and improve nothing. Go help someon critique their packing list
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by Footnotes
    Give it a rest
    Hi Footnotes. Like you I thought it was worth a response. I also thought it quite odd that after weeks with no mention at all of W***F*** here on WhiteBlaze, a new poster would make a point of complaining about just a few of the 73,000 posts here. Makes you wonder just what info he was searching for after joining, what with all the other topics here. I wonder if lawman has made a similar post over there?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Default another perspective

Disclosure: I have been banned for life from WingFoot's site.

While rasing our daughter we always emphasized that being talented in one area does not give you insight into other areas. Smart people do make stupid choices. Performing at a high level in an activity almost always requires life balance to be sacrificed. Rock Stars are NOT role models.

I respect and admire his intensity, effort and devotion to the AT. But skilled hikers are not necessarily talented forum moderators.

We are all unique, but it seems to me that independence and resourcefulness are the shared traits of long distance hikers. These traits are not compatible with rigid moderation. I don't think that WingFoot has created an environment where hikers can thrive.

I believe that the majority of conflicts on the WhiteBlaze are caused by Cabin Fever. I think we would get along a lot better if we all hiked more. But, I also think that this forum is comfortable for most hikers.

Images

Superman, There is an (unauthorized, I think) archive of Trail Place journals.
    The computer I have the address on is "confused", but as near as I can tell this is the address: http://archive.org/web/2000051010414...railplace.com/ If I remember correctly the year 2000 is the main focus of the archive. Hope this helps you out. If the address doesn't work out I'll forward you the link as soon as I get my other computer straightened up.

Smile TJ you Give me food for thought

Hey TJ,

Now I can come up with lots of scenarios on who Lawman is, what he wants, why, where, and when. My mind doesn't work that way yet I know many play games on these forums. Oh well, I was hoping for peace, love, joy to end the old year and now I am thinking conspiracies LOL. Hope you have a Happy New Year and the same to everyone else on this thread.
    Foot Notes

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Footnotes
    Hey TJ, Now I can come up with lots of scenarios on who Lawman is, what he wants, why, where, and when. My mind doesn't work that way yet I know many play games on these forums. Oh well, I was hoping for peace, love, joy to end the old year and now I am thinking conspiracies LOL. Hope you have a Happy New Year and the same to everyone else on this thread. Foot Notes
    No need to be puzzled:
    Birthday:
    August 31, 1955
    Biography:
    Soon to be retired police officer of 26 years. Completed the AT in 2001 after thirteen years. Started it again.
    Interests:
    Avid backpacker, kickboxer, diver and sometime roadbiker
    police officer

I hope this helps.

Weary

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++