WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: lehigh gap pa

Default lehigh gap pa

thinking of taking my wife on the trail this summer. she has never done an over night hike. hiking south from lehigh gap the terain looks pretty good, what about the rocks? are they really bad south of lehigh gap pa?

thanks for your help!

Images

I remember the worst part being north of there. There will still be a good number of rocks, but you should both be fine.
    T-Shirts for hikers: www.trailthread.com

all rocks are bad. and they all live in pa. and they wont stop. they dont feel. they kill. thats what they do. and they wont stop comming untill you are ahead.
    matthewski

As far as northern PA is concerned the Rocks aren't that bad. Coming up from Bake oven knob, if you go that far, has some bigger rocks to climb around And the Devils pulpit by the shelter is obviously rocky.

It's a great section, I took my girl for her first back packing trip through there.
    21.1% Done

Here's our journal notes from that general location:

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=311250

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=311132

Looks like you will hit stretches of rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by jlore View Post
    thinking of taking my wife on the trail this summer. she has never done an over night hike. hiking south from lehigh gap the terain looks pretty good, what about the rocks? are they really bad south of lehigh gap pa?

thanks for your help!
    Going south would be best. Working that section from Lehigh to Port Clinton this July/August as well. I hiked south to Lehigh last August. Coming down to Lehigh from the north was treacherous and kinda fun.

I think it's easier going south from Lehigh. Rocks weren't that bad. Wore Salomom XA trail runners and I was fine. My one suggestion is check the water sources on the trail. Pretty dry last August; actually it was bone dry. Glad I left some water along the trail at trailheads at roads to refill (I carried out my trash) .

Have fun- maybe I'll see you up there.
    "May the Road Rise to Meet You"- The Wolfe Tones

I love going north from there.That being said,south isn't to bad at all.There are some nice stretches to walk in there.And if you like veiws take the south trail{Blue trail that cuts off to the left}Kind of rough but a neat walk.Bully Bob

Images

How far are you thinking of going? There are some tougher rocky stretches South past BO Knob. The elevation changes are neglible though
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

i hate when people talk about places i love that i cant go to. lehigh gap. stop saying that word. it hurts. non of you love the gaps in pa like me ! none of you!
    bet you dont even know what the best thing to do their is.
    not tellin.
    feel better.

okay.
    im tellin you cause i might die. lol.

stay on the road and let your buddy or whoever, hike to the top.then see if you can hear each other talking loud but not yelling. you can see the dudes lips move and hand jestures like an houre and a half before the words hit your ears.
    works different in the balds in the south in that corner of the feild with the great boulder to rest on right before the trail goes off the balds going north.its the last look back. someone way up on the last ridge rut comming down can yell and yell and yell and you cant hear each other even up close. the balds just absorb the sound. listening distance in that spot yelling is like a hundred yards tops in open feild.
    matthewski

Images

south from lehigh gap is decent, 5 miles till ashfield road that section is great ... once you hit ashfield road i think its another 2.4 or so miles too bake oven knob and you'll cross a few boulder fields an do some rock hoping, then the small climb up too the knob is a fun one but nothing serious ... then from bake oven knob too 309 is another 5 miles ... a few boulder hoping spots but mostly rocks just spread around nothing killer, hardest part along that section would be the knife's edge midway, but again ... take it slow, and its nothing serious ... I walk that section dozens of times each year ... have fun!
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

very helpful. thank you!

Images

Great blueberries just S of Lehigh Gap in late July!
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    Great blueberries just S of Lehigh Gap in late July!
    I can confirm this. It should also be noted that it's a great way to lose track of time and end up doing some night hiking.
    21.1% Done

Images

I'd suggest going North. The terrain is really pretty easy after the initial climb out of the gap (which is very trying and steep, especially for someone out of shape). I really don't think the rocks are so bad, but maybe that's because my hiking life began in PA, and it was always abnormally nice to have no rocks...

And if I remember correctly, the shelter south of the gap is okay, but last year the water source was about a mile from the shelter and there was almost no other water in that stretch of trail. (If you're going now, I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem).

The climb out of the gap stinks either direction. And I love the shelter north of the gap- Kirkridge.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

SLUGGER!

PS- On the other hand, Kirkridge is near the road (hence more jerks), and the other shelter is pretty far, so more privacy and more time with people who actually had to hike to get there.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Images

PPS- Ignore the part about "going now" didn't realize you meant summer. Water will likely be a problem. I need to learn to consolidate my posts...

While PA water has a lot to do with the weather at the time. Two years ago in July when I took my girl on this section we stayed at the shelter to the south (George W Outerbridge). Water was a strong piped spring right on the AT and no more then a quarter mile from the shelter. But, like I said I might have been lucky with the weather that year. However do to how close to the road George W. Outerbridge is you get a lot of riffraff and partiers staying there. If you see something you don't like, just keep going for a mile or so.

Just keep any eye out for the yearly Water in PA thread.

If you choose to go North from Lehigh gap it's an awesome climb with great views, just get ready for a climb. You will next go through the Zink Superfund site, which while it's a cool thing to see, it is rockier then to the south and has 0 tree cover to plan for sun burn.

SLUGGER!
    Yes?
    21.1% Done

I hiked the gap and north in nov last year and after the climb up,it was pleasent walking for the most part.Its got to be a hot walk in the summer though.Bully Bob

++ New Posts ++