Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    A♣ K♣ Q♣ J♣ 10♣ Luddite's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-12-2010
    Location
    Telluride, CO
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,407
    Images
    16

    Default MT. Washington no longer the windiest place

    http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...indiest-place/

    http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com...est-place.html

    Mt. Washington No Longer The Windiest Place On Earth

    For years, Mt. Washington, located in the state of New Hampshire here in the U.S., has been described as the windiest place on Earth, thanks to a 75 year old record for the highest wind speed ever recorded. The mark was set back in 1934, when gusts reached a speed of 231 miles per hour on the summit of the 6,288 foot peak, which is legendary for it's incredibly bad weather.

    Now, according to the Adventure Life, that record has been wrestled away from Mt. Washington, and the new crown has been handed over to the Aussies. It seems that when cyclone Olivia hit barrow island back in 1996, it generated winds of 253 miles per hour, smashing those light breezes on Mt. Washington.

    Why did it take so long to discover these wind speeds? Apparently a group of scientists were recently combing through weather and climate data, and discovered the mighty wind. Once it was discovered however, the findings were reported to meteorological services, and the new record became recognized, taking a little pride away from those that live on and around Mt. Washington.

    Never fear though. The mountain still has plenty to brag about. It is a challenging climb in good weather conditions, and it's notoriously bad winters make it a tough test in the snow. It has even managed to make the list of some of the most dangerous mountains to climb. Not something you'd expect out of a peak that is less than 6300 feet in height.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

  2. #2
    A♣ K♣ Q♣ J♣ 10♣ Luddite's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-12-2010
    Location
    Telluride, CO
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,407
    Images
    16

    Default

    My bad. It appears this is old news.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-14-2003
    Location
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    and it is inaccurate. Mt Washington is over 6600 ft last time I checked.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    31,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    and it is inaccurate. Mt Washington is over 6600 ft last time I checked.
    nope. 6288 ft.

  5. #5
    Registered User TheChop's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-09-2010
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    414

    Default

    Yeah but that's during a hurricane. Record is invalid due to PED.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

  6. #6
    Doting Membrane Skidsteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-25-2005
    Location
    Skitt's Mountain, GA
    Posts
    7,945
    Images
    361
    Skids

    Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

  7. #7
    A♣ K♣ Q♣ J♣ 10♣ Luddite's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-12-2010
    Location
    Telluride, CO
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,407
    Images
    16

    Default

    Well I guess you could say Mt.Washington is the windiest place on Earth but it no longer has the highest recorded wind speed.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-24-2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    65
    Posts
    3,053
    Images
    17

    Default

    gets pretty windy around here
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

  9. #9
    Registered User Driver8's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-24-2010
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Posts
    2,672
    Images
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    and it is inaccurate. Mt Washington is over 6600 ft last time I checked.
    6288'. Says so at the summit. It's Clingman's Dome, Mt. Mitchell and a couple others in the Tenn-NC area which are > 6600.
    The more miles, the merrier!

    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-22-2009
    Location
    Ashburnham, MA
    Age
    77
    Posts
    1,951
    Images
    2

    Default

    The mean minimum temperature for April on Barrow Island, W.Australia, is 23.9C (75F), so the windchill was 75F. I can't find the temperature for Mt. Washington on the day that set the old record, but the record high for the month is 60F. Mt.W.'s wind chill was off the charts.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-15-2003
    Location
    Gonic, NH
    Posts
    3,338
    Images
    246

    Default

    Driver8-"6288'. Says so at the summit."
    To be precise the benchmark on the summit says 6288.176 feet. That measurement was taken by Brad Washburn so I'd tend to believe it. If you stand on top of the observatory tower (as I have countless times) you can reach just over 6300')

  12. #12
    4eyedbuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2007
    Location
    DFW, TX / Northern NH
    Age
    64
    Posts
    7,995
    Images
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    To be precise the benchmark on the summit says 6288.176 feet.
    I KNEW it was taller than 6288 - the 6288 is easy, but that last .176 really kicks your @$$.

    That measurement was taken by Brad Washburn so I'd tend to believe it.
    It does seem like he might know a thing or two more than most of us about it.
    I was self employed once, but it proved too stressful. My boss was a jerk and my employee was a slacker - I didn't know whether to quit or fire myself.

  13. #13
    AT 10,000 Miler
    Join Date
    01-06-2003
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    343
    Images
    1

    Default

    Note that this claim is for the highest wind speed *recorded* on earth. The keyword here is recorded. Meteorologists estimate that the wind speed of some tornados can reach over 300 mph They have yet to officially measure the speed as such. One day they will and the highest wind speed record on earth will belong to an area as flat as Kansas.

  14. #14
    AT 10,000 Miler
    Join Date
    01-06-2003
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    343
    Images
    1

    Default

    Mt Washington is over 6600 ft last time I checked.
    Once upon a time Mount Washington was over 6,600 feet in elevation. It may have been a very long, long time since he checked.

  15. #15
    Registered User Driver8's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-24-2010
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Posts
    2,672
    Images
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I KNEW it was taller than 6288 - the 6288 is easy, but that last .176 really kicks your @$$.
    Hey, what's two inches between friends. (double entendres go here. ...)
    The more miles, the merrier!

    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-24-2009
    Location
    Western Australia Australia
    Age
    71
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...indiest-place/

    http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com...est-place.html

    Mt. Washington No Longer The Windiest Place On Earth

    For years, Mt. Washington, located in the state of New Hampshire here in the U.S., has been described as the windiest place on Earth, thanks to a 75 year old record for the highest wind speed ever recorded. The mark was set back in 1934, when gusts reached a speed of 231 miles per hour on the summit of the 6,288 foot peak, which is legendary for it's incredibly bad weather.

    Now, according to the Adventure Life, that record has been wrestled away from Mt. Washington, and the new crown has been handed over to the Aussies. It seems that when cyclone Olivia hit barrow island back in 1996, it generated winds of 253 miles per hour, smashing those light breezes on Mt. Washington.

    Why did it take so long to discover these wind speeds? Apparently a group of scientists were recently combing through weather and climate data, and discovered the mighty wind. Once it was discovered however, the findings were reported to meteorological services, and the new record became recognized, taking a little pride away from those that live on and around Mt. Washington.

    Never fear though. The mountain still has plenty to brag about. It is a challenging climb in good weather conditions, and it's notoriously bad winters make it a tough test in the snow. It has even managed to make the list of some of the most dangerous mountains to climb. Not something you'd expect out of a peak that is less than 6300 feet in height.
    Well well well, I'm glad the record has come to us good on ya WEst Australia. I stood on top of Mt Washington on the 10th of September last year having spent the night at Lakes of the clouds huts (work for stay) That last mile or so from the hut up to the summit in wind rain sleet hail ice and you name it took me ages and I was soaked by the time the top was reached. At least I made it . Lots of hikers have perished on the way up or down. I will allways remember that awesome day.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-29-2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,018

    Default

    I summitted Mt Washington around July 7th last year and it was in the 60s with zero wind. It was actually too warm. Going up was cake - going down sucked.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •