WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steripens

Default Steripens

Anybody thru'd with one? Anyone thinking about it? Trying to decide between Steripen and Aqua Mira.

There are several threads about comparing steripens and aqua mira, just use the search function.

Have one and used it on several short trips this past fall. Plan on taking it on a thru hike this summer on the AT.

Images

I'm actually taking both for 2 reasons.

1) steri-pen does not work if there are a lot of particulates in the water, so I'd use the aqua-mira in that situation.

2) Although I like the functionality of the steri-pen as well as the speed it works, there is always the chance breakage/malfunction.

Happy hiking.
    The hand may be quicker than the eye, but it is often proven that the mouth is a thousand times faster than the brain!

Gipsy

Comes down to preference. You'll see most thru's carrying AquaMira. I did on my 2009 thru hike. Pretty much bombproof and you don't have to fear dead batteries or any red light errors. I always took along an extra set stuffed in the bottom of my food bag.

SteriPEN had issues in 2009 with the units shutting down prematurely due to the probes inability to detect sufficient levels of trace minerals in water being treated. They've since made a fix but it can still occur.

Here's what the SteriPEN troubleshooting guide says (per their webpage):

"SteriPEN water sensors look for electrical conductivity to indicate the presence of water. In most cases water has enough trace mineral content to allow for a small amount of electrical current. On occasion though, very pure water may be encountered – most often in areas where water is from recent snow melt. Since very pure water is a poor electrical conductor, the sensors may not conduct enough electricity to recognize the water. This can easily be corrected by adding a small pinch of salt, or a drop or two of some kind of electrolyte beverage to the water".

Bottomline-
    Carry AquaMira as a back-up if you decide on a SteriPEN.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Spokes; 01-27-2011 at 07:15.

Quote Originally Posted by rockytop7 View Post
    Anybody thru'd with one? Anyone thinking about it? Trying to decide between Steripen and Aqua Mira.
    Use bleach, fill your dropper bottle at hostels.

Treating drinking water is trickier than most realize.There is no one technology that works for all pathogens.
    Water Quality 101
    Pathogens are physically dissimilar,how to effectively treat them depends on their construction.Crypto and Giardia are hard shelled microorganisms,officially called ocysts. Ocysts are resistant to chemical treatment and their exoskelleton prevents uv rays from passing through them so uv (steripen)is not a good choice for their treatment.Treatment for the removal of ocysts can be done by filtration ,however use a filter that has an absolute(not nominal)micron rating of .35 (point 35).
    Viruses and Germs (such as E-coli or fecal coliforms) on the other hand are unfilterable as they have no exoskelleton and their soft pliable bodies will ooze through any filter.Treat viruses with chemicals or Ultraviolet Sterilization,with chemicals it is important to allow enough "contact time" to allow for an effective kill,a half hour is usually long enough in clear water.Use UV in clear water only as a germ that is "hitching a ride"on the back side of a pcs. of sediment will not receive the radiation (light) needed to effectively sterilize it(think lunar eclipse and shading).UV does not kill germs,it screws up their DNA so they cannot be fruitful and multiply.I use filtration under pressure (pump) and chemical treatment.BTW the above methods have served me well in treating household drinking water and satifying the Va. State health dept. requirements for potability .Sorry for being so long winded,I am sort of passionate about this subject

Journal Entries
    Images

I hike with a buddy & he OFTEN has problems with his Steripen! it either plows through batteries, or is having sometype of light malfunction : /
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I haven't treated water in any way in well over a year.

Not a few people I've observed filtering water actually were doing it right anyway and IMO had a false sense of security.

Cross-contamination makes the whole process a waste of time.

Journal Entries

I have a steripen and never use it . It sucks in the cold.

I use aquamira most often. I skipped a few times and got a horrible case of Giardia that wrecked me for a couple weeks.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Aqua mira hands down

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I used it & liked it very much, if particled in the water I use a bandaner first.

Quote Originally Posted by Gipsy View Post
    I'm actually taking both for 2 reasons.
    I carry both as well. You can't hike without water. Always have 2 ways to purify it.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by maybe clem View Post
    Always have 2 ways to purify it.

On the AT Aqua Mira is all you need. Maps help you avoid beaver pond outlets and cow pasture outlets for added protection.
    Why carry the extra weight of other gadgets?

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default Re: steripens

I've been using Aqua Mira for a long time and have loved it. The main thing that's attractive to me about the Steripen is quicker drinking time, it will make "tanking" much more possible and allow me to carry less water. I'd really like to hear from people who have used a Steripen for extended periods of time but still like AM better...

Images

Whats the wait time on Aqua Mira? Havent used the stuff yet.
    The hand may be quicker than the eye, but it is often proven that the mouth is a thousand times faster than the brain!

Gipsy

I use both. I like my steripen for immediate needs drinking and use the chemical treatment as backup and for larger volumes that I'll use later. i.e. My 4 qt Nalgene Cantene that I'll use later in camp.

Aqua mira and most other Chlorine Dioxide treatments have a 30 minute wait time.

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    I have a steripen and never use it . It sucks in the cold.
    I have a Steripen and actually use it (In fact, I use it in cold weather all the time). It works just fine in cold weather if you use lithium batteries.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Gipsy - AM has a 3-5 minute mix time, then will neutralize everything except crypto in 20-30 minutes, and 4 hours for crypto. When I use it, I have to mix and wait 3-5 minutes, pour into my water, then hike for 20-30 minutes before I drink it. This is the only drawback, as they're very effective and lightweight.

Being able to drink within 90 seconds with a Steripen seems very nice though...

Quote Originally Posted by Front Royal Mike View Post
    Treating drinking water is trickier than most realize.There is no one technology that works for all pathogens.
    Except boiling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++