WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Question Anyone know why the AT Thru-Hikers companion was taken offline?

http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm

I own a copy of the 2011 version, but it is nice to read it online when I am at school and do not have my physical copy.

Now it gives a 404 error and they say they are debating if it should come back online.

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Taking it out of electronic format is a mistake.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Images

I was wondering the same thing. I will be watching this thread to find out, myself.
    The hand may be quicker than the eye, but it is often proven that the mouth is a thousand times faster than the brain!

Gipsy

Images

"We are currently reviewing our policy toward the online version of the Companion, so as of Jan. 26 the files have been taken down from the site. We will post news about the status of the online Companion as soon as the ALDHA board reaches a decision"

Interesting.... I, too, enjoy reading the online version from time to time at work. Dang, guess I'll start bringing my AT guide with me!

they finally figured out they were losing money. why buy a book if you can get the info for free?

Easy solution. Start charging for the download.

There are enough people carrying electronic devices on the Trail that there is a market for an electronic trail guide.
    Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Easy solution. Start charging for the download.

There are enough people carrying electronic devices on the Trail that there is a market for an electronic trail guide.
    Agreed. I would certainly pay $20 for the ability to download the pdf's or access an article containing the information. Books are the one thing I like having physical copies of but even that is probably going to change in two to three years. Ones and zeroes take up a lot less space.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Images

If they release it electronically, hopefully they offer it as a pdf, or a pdf and other formats.

Speaking as a long time volunteer field editor I have to say this is both a surprise and disappointment.
    I wonder when the Board was going to tell us?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Damn. I use that for all of my section hikes. Time to buy an old guide used to ensure they get no profit from me.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walkin' Dude View Post
    Damn. I use that for all of my section hikes. Time to buy an old guide used to ensure they get no profit from me.
    I guess that's a notch better than pirating a pdf copy if one should become available.

it seams to me the easy solution is if you buy the book you get a pin for the pdf file. I just bought that book and the condenced one. both from there website, and i was looking forward to have the electric copy for my smart phone.
    balloonatic

Images

Lightbulb

Have to admit that I am often offended at the blind-side, ambush tactics adopted and used by some as a corporate decision-making and implementation model.

Having said that, why not give paid-members a PIN to access the guide online? ALDHA gets well-deserved revenue, and those who are not blood-sucking leeches get their e-version.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

Having said that, why not give paid-members a PIN to access the guide online? ALDHA gets well-deserved revenue, and those who are not blood-sucking leeches get their e-version.

I'm not savvy as to who the ALDHA has available but implementing this would take a bit of programming and would cost a fair amount.

That is unless it's a very weak PIN system - like where everyone has the same PIN but then what's the point?

Images

The online Companion
    We are currently reviewing our policy toward the online version of the Companion, so as of Jan. 26 the files have been taken down from the site. We will post news about the status of the online Companion as soon as the ALDHA board reaches a decision.

Actually, to be more accurate, I'd say they've already changed their policy regarding online access, as the Companion is no longer available online. If they were only reviewing the policy, no change would yet have taken place. What they are now reviewing is if this new policy will include online access.

Yeah, semantics.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I guess that's a notch better than pirating a pdf copy if one should become available.
    And it will, inevitably. I found a few sections saved to my external. I know my frequent hiking partner has the whole thing saved. I'm a spiteful consumer.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

I think 2 years ago they would put last year's copy on the web for free, and if you wanted the current year you'd have to buy it. Last year they put the current one up on the web. If they are worried about saving profits, they could just go back to doing it the old way.

Or create a membership login and only members get the online version. I'd donate 5-20 bucks to ATC, if I got the companion online as a benefit. However $35 seems a it steep just for that.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    That is unless it's a very weak PIN system - like where everyone has the same PIN but then what's the point?
    For an esoteric book like the companion it wouldn't be a problem. There is a certain ethic involved here that this is a non-profit entity and a work made from volunteer efforts. You could easily e-mail it to members who requested it. Finding it on file sharing sites, etc. would be problematic for anyone who wanted to try. People would distribute the files via e-mail on a limited basis but it would be moderately difficult for the casual user to get.

It's like mp3s of that obscure punk band you like from 1983. Yes you might be able to get the files for free. You would have to go through a whole lot of trouble to do so and if you could just go onto Amazon and pay $6 to download them you would.

I remember sometime ago questioning the business practice of placing the
    Companion online and being lambasted about my ignorance of business. It really scarred me; does anyone want to apologize

Images

The ALDHA board discussion will probably go along the following track:

The old-timers are going to scream like hell if we charge for this, but they only have a few more good years ahead of them so they will drop off the radar pretty soon. All the new hikers will think this is a good deal and gladly pay for the info.

My view: if they show their costs vs revenue and the organization is truly in a bad financial state, I will gladly pay. If someone is just getting greedy, screw em!
    Simple is good.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++